Coming Down, Booking Flight Question

Hi.
Working on booking flights, and do I need to book return flights, or can I do one way?
We are not sure when we are returning, so I am thinking one way might be the way to go.
Will we have trouble without a return ticket?
Thanks,
Dave and Trish

Some time ago you had to have return ticket to visit. Being from Canada (commonwealth country)
they may let you in. It may be worth making a phone call to Belize Embassy in Canada  and get a documented reply

And once you get a documented reply, please post it on this blog.  I think many would like a documented answer!

It is typically the airlines that will require a return ticket.
However, with all the visa/immigration/passport scandals, Belize Immigration has been known to ask for a return ticket if you go for an extension stamp. We have never been asked, and we just got another 30 day stamp a couple of days ago.

My wife just booked her flight to Belize with United Airlines. There was no request or demand for a return ticket. I came to the country via other means before and with that there was no demand to show when and how we were exiting.

When I went for a 30 day extension stamp at the Immigration Office in Corozal I was required to show a "return" ticket.  I asked why. I was given this explanation...  "Our mature visitors.. if they get sick... Belize wants them to have a way out of the country that is paid for"...  I said, "Are you saying I'm old?"....  He responded, "Oh no!  I would never say that"...  He then said, "You know, if someone is a bad person, like that John MacAfee, Belize needs a way to get them out of the country that is paid for."  I then asked if I looked like a bad person.  He remained adamant that I needed to show him a return ticket in order to get the stamp.  So I bought a ticket, as far out as possible, to visit my children and their families.  I'm back from that trip and this will be my first "stamp" visit Friday. It will be interesting to see if they require me to purchase another ticket out of Belize. 

Honestly, I don't look that old...  or sick....  or bad....  At least in my mirror....

Hi.
Spoke with a nice young lady at the Belize Consulate today, and was told that WE WILL need a return ticket, even if I am not returning.
I was also told that no guarantee that we would get our passports stamped at the end of the 30 days.
I am guessing we will just take our chances, and we have the return ticket to fall back on.
Guess we will hop on the plane and see what happens.
I am going to book the flights tonight, arriving in Belize on Wed Dec 4th, late afternoon.
We will be in Corozal in the evening of the 4th, so if someone can recommend a place to put our feet up for the night, I am all ears...............pm me with some options.
I have arranged a transfer from Belize City to Corozal with Henry at Belize VIP Transfer, small cost for no hassle.
I would like to meet up on Thurs with some other expats so we can get our bearings.
Thanks.
Dave and Trish.

Good Luck
Mathew
Belize spice farm

For the first time  we purchased a one way ticket in Sept.  Bought one way ticket again  for jan 14 trip.
I think the only way to get around the round trip issue and the stamping issue is to get a residency
card. I do not think getting Residency is that complicated.
Mathew

Hi spiceman39.
As far as I understand, we need to be in the country for 12 months before we can get residency?
Maybe someone can clear that up for me, before I blow money on a return ticket.
Thanks.
Dave and Trish.

service_guy - A return ticket is typically not much more expensive than a one way ticket. Plus you can book your return for lets say 11 months away. And, the airline lets you change your date for about 100.00 fee.
As for residency. You need to be in country for 12 months before you apply. Then it may take as little as a few weeks to many months before getting your residency stamp.t

Brugitte B,sorry in advance for my writing mistakes,because my native language is spanish,my question is,if you show your return ticket to inmigration officer to get your estamp every 30 days,dont you think that they could say that you are trying win time if they check that your return ticket is in the edge of time before you get your residence,thanks in advance for your answer,

immigration can say anything they want, when ever they want.  they have absolute autonomy & authority.  In Belize there are laws and rules.   the government is very flexible.

I have never succeeded in booking a single ticket at a sensible price. my longest return booking was seven months.It
is possible up to 364 days., if you can change the return date,(after departure outbound) for a reasonable fee, that works well.. I have also booked last minute for short stay, and discarded the return.     I only know one airline that will permit use of the return only.  the secret is to be flexible with dates. I have seen a saturday price four times a Tuesday or Wednesday flight.   if you see a really good offer grab it.,  it can be gone one hour later.
I have flown six different routes belize (or cancun) to/from Europe, and I am still learning.