Going back to South Korea for Teaching

Hello! My boyfriend and I taught for one year in South Korea and after a year of traveling and living back in Canada, we are thinking of going back again.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who has experience in this situation? When we first moved to Korea, we were very hasty, but luckily ended up in a position where we were overworked but treated fairly. I want to be pickier this time around to ensure that we end up in the best possible position.

Really, my questions are:

Have you been in this situation?
Would it be worthwhile to get a TEFL certificate now even after gaining a year's worth of teaching experience?
Would it be reasonable to expect a slightly higher salary for the second time around?

Thank you for your input!

Hello,

I have been in this exact situation. I first came to Korea in 2009, left from 2010~2011, I returned in 2012 and intend to stay until 2015.

I think a TEFL would be worthwhile. The English teaching industry has really gone into decline, so any credentials you possess will be a benefit. Furthermore, you can use them if you choose to relocate to any other country in Asia.

It would be reasonable to expect preferred consideration among employers and HR people, but like I said the industry is in decline, so unless you are returning to the same teaching outfit that you were in before, you can expect the same entry level salary. Do your due diligence on any job you are presented with of course.