Is Sulaymaniyah is safe

Hi,

I am moving to sulaymaniyah after 2 month. I just want to know about safety and other aspects like cost of living .. SInce  i have an offer of 2500USD and housing allow. is it enough for living there?

Thanks
Atul

Hi Atul,

It's very safe here. No Worries. The expenses depend on your life style. If single, i am sure you have plenty leftover !!!

Thanks Man...

most welcome.. when you are in Suli, drop me  a msg. we could met up for a coffee or something..

Seeking  small flat in Suleimaniah for rent, any suggestions.

KRG all safe...

Hello

I am getting project in sulaymaniyah for six months to 1 year. company is providing me accommodation and conveyance + 50 USD per day + salary.
please let me know is it safe to come there in present situation.

Thanks in advance

Bharat

Hello Atul
Hope you must have reached there, I am also moving in sulaymaniyah for six months. Please let me know is it safe there? How is present situation?
Thanks in advance.

Bharat

Hello
I am Bharat from India, planning to come to sulaymaniyah, please let me know how is situation there? is it safe at present?

Thanks in advance

Bharat Shukla

Uh, you ignoring my post from the other thread? It's crazy safe. I've been walking all over town every afternoon and evening. Yesterday I got wasted at an Irish pub. Everyone is all about peace and love. There's murals all over the place. There's an enormous international mall going up on the south side called Family Mall. They're planting olive, palm, and even pomegranate trees on highway medians. They're putting parks up like crazy. There's tourists wandering around all over the place. It's fucking wonderland over here. Strangest thing I've ever seen. I'm thinking of moving here permanently. PM me and you can friend me on Facebook, I've been taking pics like crazy. It's amazing.  But you don't have to believe me, just look up sulaimania on google news. Altho you'll want to look it up using several different spellings since there is no standard in the media yet. Make google alerts for Sulaymaniya, Sulaymaniyah, Sulaimania, Sulimania, Sulemani, Slemani.

I posted some pics here on Expat.com of SuliTown. Check it out.

Hi, good comment on Suli safety back in June.  Is the situation still stable?  Australian foreign office recommends no travel other than essential.  Are they being over cautious Or is there a real threat to westerners,  in particular kidnapping?

Very safe. I go out at all hours of the night without problem.

They are definitely being over cautious. There has never been a recorded kidnapping of a westerner here and there's no evidence that it would happen. There's multiple factors to consider: there are almost no westerners here to kidnap, so no one is here hunting for them, this is the most non-arab, metropolitan, educated population in the region, there is no oil here to capture, it's surrounded by mountains and heavily protected because mam jalal's headquarters and base population is here.

It's much safer here than most major cities in the US rust belt.

Currently Suly is safe....

Thanks Bob, very useful comments and I'm sure lots of people will be reassured to read them. Regards, Stewart.

Do you still live out there ?! Where is better Erbil or Suleimaniah?!

Still in Suli yes. It's more beautiful than Erbil and the climate is more temperate. The expat community is tiny. Erbil is much more international. If you like going to bars, go to Erbil. If you're quiet / reserved and like immersing yourself in a foreign culture, come to Suli.

Hi Slemanibob, i've tried to add you but couldn't
can please you ping me ?