8 months in Adelaide

Hello All,

Moved into Adelaide (with family) from Chennai (India) in July 2012 on a PR.

Settled down with the help of tips from this forum and other friends that I made here.

Happy to participate in discussions and give my views.

Best wishes

~MARK

Dear Brother,

i am from pakistan, moving with family (4 kids, wife, me).
i am coming in late Aug13.

i will arrive in evening, please guide me:

1. good food place near airport.
2. temporary stay place for 2-3 days with family a cheap place near CBD.
3. a good suburb for family with low crime rate.

thanks,
God bless you,
Saqib

Dear Mark,

Since you have been living in Adelaide for quite some time now, can you please share some insights on following:

1. Hows Adelaide's economy doing?
2. I am a senior professional from telecom and retail sector with 20 years of experience, how is the job market?
3. Since i will be moving in with my wife and 10 year old son, can you please suggest some good public schools?
4. How's the life in general? Any Dos or Don'ts?

I will be moving in Jan-March 2014 period. Currently, i am on Expat assignment in Africa with Bharti Airtel.

Thanks in advance and hope to hear fromyou soon.

Cheers,

Ajay

Hello Brother

Best wishes on your move to Adelaide.

I moved into a Hotel opposite the Airport.  Here is the link: adelaideairportmotel.com.au/index.htm

They do have Airport shuttles and it does have a restaurant attached. The Airport is just 7 kms from the city and easily accessible by bus.

You will have to choose any suburb that is convenient to you in terms of your work, school, etc.,  I live in the western suburbs, not far from the Airport. 

Most of Adelaide is generally peaceful and without any problems.

Do let me know if you need any other information.

Regards

~MARK

Dear Ajay

1.  Adelaide is the smallest and least busiest of Australian cities, but having said that work-life is as busy as the other cities.  Hence, its economy is at par with the other cities.  The flip-side is that the job-market is pretty tough.

2.  You might have to scout around to find a role that you will fit into.  Try NBN (National Broadband Network).  The requirements that they look for here is a) Australian qualifications b) Australian WORK references.  Sadly we possess neither. There are no exceptions for migrants.  However, doing some studies and entering jobs through placements etc., are the best way into the work force.   

3. Every suburb has public / private schools and it depends on the suburb you decide to stay in. You could consider ANZAC Highway, Brooklyn Park, Underdale, Plympton, etc, which are accessible and close to the city.

4. Life is peaceful and systematic here.  Networking and getting into the Australian way of life at the earliest is the key to settling down.  People are warm, friendly and helpful here. I enjoy a good family life here.

Trust these answer your queries. Happy to be of any assistance and best wishes on your move.

Cheers,

~MARK

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your contribution :top:

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Thank you for the opportunity, Maximilien.:)

Dear Mark,

Thanks a lot for your answers, appreciate it. I shall be moving to Adelaide in January 2014.

Cheers,

Ajay

Best wishes on your move, Ajay.

Will be happy to assist with any information.

Cheers

~MARK

Dear Mark,

I have applied for a PR and the whole process is completed End-End and waiting for the case officer to reply with the grant letter.

Hope fully, i would land there in Q1 of 2014. I'am a BCA (Bachelor of Computer Applications) graduate here in India and have a work experience of 5.6 years as a SAP end user & Transition management. I have applied as a Org & Method Analyst for my PR as that fits my profile.

How is the job market in Adelaide as mine is a state sponsorship visa and have to stay in SA for 2 years.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Chandan,

Hyderabad, IND.

Hello Chandan

Happy to hear of your progress and your proposed plans.

I do not have any knowledge or information on the IT sector in Adelaide and hence it would be inappropriate for me to even comment. 

I would recommend that you try and contact some recruiters or go through online sites like seek.com.au or careerone.com.au.

I could check on on the recruiters in your line, if you wish.

Will be happy to assist with any information to ensure that your transition is as smooth as possible.

Best wishes

~MARK

Dear Mark,

Appreciate your response and Thanks a lot for acting very swiftly on the user queries. Can you please provide me any contacts of the recruiters, as i have to get a job based on IT or Analyst

Regards,

Chandan

Hello Chandan,

Please email your details to [email protected], and address the same to Mr Anand Rajendran.  Anand may be able to assist you on this.

Best wishes

~MARK

Dear Mark,

Thanks a lot for the reply, the news now is I have got my PR sponsored by SA.

Cheers !!!

Congratulations, Chandan.

All the best on your move.

Best wishes

~MARK

Dear Mark,

We got our PR in 2013 and will be making our first visit to Adelaide in October 2014.
Our plan is to relocate in August 2015.

My questions are as follows:

1. My wife, our 1 year old son and I will arrive in Adelaide in Oct'14 for a 4 day vacation.
    Do you recommend that we get our Medicare cards, Tax number and Bank account processed
    when we visit ?

2.  Since we will relocate only in August 2015, besides doing a city tour of Adelaide (so we get a feel
     of the city) is there anything else that you recommend we do / see / experience so we get a good feel of the City of Adelaide ?

3.  Its probably far to early to look for jobs right now but are there any HR firms that you think I could meet and share my CV and work experience with ?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Best,
Ash

Hello Ash,

Congratulations on getting your visa.

1. For application for Tax File Numbers, Medicare etc., you will need a local address.  It is easy to apply for them, but you will need to check if you can.  Here are the links:
Tax File Number: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax- … for-a-TFN/
Medicare: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/custome … h-medicare

You can open your bank account from India.  Here is a link from ANZ: http://www.movingtoaustralia.anz.com/

2. Adelaide is a small city and easy to commute by bus, tram, train etc.,  October is a good time of the year to get a feel of the place, being Spring.  Here is a link that will give you more information:
http://www.southaustralia.com/regions/a … rs=b|AU|AU

3.  For Jobs, visit: http://www.seek.com.au/.  Yes, it may worthwhile talking to HR Firms like Hays etc., and discuss further.

Let me know if you need any other inputs.  I will be happy to assist.

Best wishes again,

~MARK

Hello please I will like to discuss something with you can I go on