A quick guide to Certificate of Visa Exemption (VEC), Vietnam

Dear Expats!
We already covered this topic many times but still some members has doubt about - how to obtain a VEC, who are eligible, what document needed, how much does it cost, how long it take to get processed, etc.  I hope this short guide will help those members  :)

I. Forms of Certificate of Visa Exemption

The certificate of visa exemption might take the following forms:

1. A stamped certificate: A visa exemption certificate is stamped on the passports of Vietnamese nationals living abroad and foreign nationals to allow their entrance into Vietnam.
2. Detached Certificate: A visa exemption certificate issued to Vietnamese people living abroad under permanent residents permit granted by foreign authorities and holder of passports of foreign countries or territories with which Vietnam does not have diplomatic relations.

II. Required documents attached to application for visa exemption certificate

1. For Vietnamese people are residing abroad, profile comprises:
a. 01 application form for visa exemption certificate.

b. 02 recent 4 x 6cm photos with white background, straight face, bare head, no colored glasses (01 photo attached to the application form and 01 spare photo)

c. Foreign passports or equivalent documents with validity of at least 6 months up to date of entry. If the applicant does not have a passport, he/she must submit a permanent residents permit  issued by foreign authorities with the validity of at least 6 months up to the date of entry (with attached copy for competent authority to file)

d. One of the following documents (attached copy for competent authority to file) if available:
- A certificate of Vietnamese citizenship;
- A copy or excerpt of the Decision for Recovery of Vietnamese citizenship;
- A copy or excerpt of the Decision for Renunciation of Vietnamese citizenship;
- Certificate of Lost of Vietnamese citizenship;
- A Vietnamese passport (valid or invalid)
- An Identity Card (valid or invalid)
- A Birth Certificate (Copy accepted)
- The latest voters card
- A Family Register Book
- A travel document issued before 1975
- An Identity Card issued before 1975
- An Excerpt from Birth Register issued before 1975
- Documents issued by competent foreign authorities if they can prove that the person in question has original Vietnamese citizenship or of Vietnamese origin.

e. In case of not having documents listed at section (d), the following documents could be submitted:
- A guarantee issued by an overseas Vietnamese association from the country of residence (in due form provided)
- A guarantee from a Vietnamese citizen (in due form provided)
The said documents do not need require further certification or verification.

2. With holders of foreign passports being wives, husbands, and children of a Vietnamese citizen or Vietnamese residing abroad, the attached file comprises of:

a. 01 application form for a visa exemption certificate.

b. 02 recent 4 x 6 cm photos with white background, straight face, bare head, without colored glasses. (01 attached to the application form, 01 spare photo).

c. A foreign passport with validity of at least 6 months up to date of entry (a copy attached for competent authority to file)

d. One of documents proving relationship between wives/husbands/children and the Vietnamese residing abroad (a copy attached for competent authority to file)
- Certificate of Marriage
- Certificate of Birth
- A Certificate of relationship with farther, mother, children;
- Other valid documents as regulated by the Vietnamese Law.
- Decision of Adoption

3. The re-issuance or from the second issuance of Certificate of Visa Exemption
In case of applying for the re-issuance the Certificate of Visa Exemption (due to lost of visa exemption certificate or expired visa exemption certificate or issuance of new passport) at the initial issuing competent authorities, the applicant only needs to submit 01 application form with no certification of Vietnamese residing abroad required.
In case of application for re-issuance of Certificate of Visa Exemption (due to visa exemption certificate lost or expired) not submitted to the initial issuing agency, the applicant is required to submit all the documents as per the procedures applied to first-time issuance of Certificate of Visa Exemption.

III. Procedure of the issuance of a visa exemption certificate

Visa application forms, original passports/ permanent residence certificates and other documents proving Vietnamese citizenship and relationship to Vietnamese citizens or overseas Vietnamese can be sent directly or via post.  (Original and certified copy)

IV. Time of the issuance of a visa exemption certificate

Within 07 working days since the receipt of complete documents.

V. Document processing fee

Issued herewith Decision (Circular) by The Ministry of Finance No.  Dated.
-First issuance of visa exemption certificate: 20 USD
-Second issuance of visa exemption certificate: 10 USD

Courtesy: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Vietnam

Thanks!

Hello,

This topic is now a sticky one !  :one

Thank you for this valuable information charmavietnam.

Priscilla

You are welcome Priscilla  :)

I think you will find you will need a lot more than just 6 months on your passport, you actually lose 6 months from the 5 yrs exemption immediately, so if you only had 1 year left on your passport, you might find yourself with only 6 months exemption, ( until you renew your passport ) then hopefully it might just be a simple matter of transferring the Visa info?????

bluenz wrote:

I think you will find you will need a lot more than just 6 months on your passport, you actually lose 6 months from the 5 yrs exemption immediately, so if you only had 1 year left on your passport, you might find yourself with only 6 months exemption, ( until you renew your passport ) then hopefully it might just be a simple matter of transferring the Visa info?????

A few years back before my ex-wife received her Vietnamese passport we applied for a VEC for her. All she had was a US reentry permit, which is like a passport but only valid for 2 years, and they sent a VEC stamped in the reentry permit valid until it expired and a separate VEC valid for the remainder. I am not sure if they still do that. I do know they will issue a loose-leaf VEC if you want one instead of it stamped in your passport. When you enter Vietnam they stamp the VEC and not your passport if it is loose-leaf.

This has been moved from another thread.

tintinmiami2013 wrote:
I currently have a 5 year visa and I plan on finding a company that will get me a work visa.  I believe that once I get a 1-2 year work visa, I do not have to do any sort of visa run.    As for the extension every 90 days, I plan on filling out the correct paper work and getting my visa extended every 90 days without exiting the country. 
Tin Tin

Bluenz   reply        I think this info was corrected a few pages back, but as many people do not read that far back, I will post the correction again.
There have been many posts this week re 5 yr Visa's, ( also on different threads ), but once AGAIN, there is no such thing as a 5 yr Visa, it is called a Visa Exemption Cert, this entitles the holder to stay in VN CONTINUOUSLY, for the duration of the Certificate, ( but apparently not in Nha Trang for some unexplained reason, which must be something like why it is illegal to tow a m/b trailer 10kms east of Quang Ngai???? ), it isn't actually 5 yrs at all, if your country of origin issues only 5 yr passports, VN with holds 6 months.
  You don't need a VEC if you have a Work Permit.
I'm trying to find up to date info on this, waiting for replies to several e-mails I've sent to a few VN Govt websites, so won't  be holding my breathe.
tintinmiami2013 wrote:
Bluenz - I just want to ask you about the 5 year Visa Exemption Cert.  It's stated in mine that I can only stay each time I enter Vietnam for 90 days.  Are you saying I can stay longer with the 5 year Visa Exemp Cert?  Please be specific.  Thanks.

Bluenz   reply                  They don't explain it very well on the Visa, it should say,  ' must be renewed before 90 days, and you don't have to leave the country to do that ', but I suppose there wouldn't be enough room on it, ( and they would miss out on a chance to confuse Foreigners? ).
Have another look at the expiry date, did you get the full 5yrs?, my country only issues 5 yr passports now, so I only got 4 1/2 yrs.
tintinmiami2013 wrote:
Bluenz - Since my US passport does not expire for another 8 years, I received the full 5 years exemption on my VISA.  However, it does state that the VISA exemption cert allows me to stay in VN for 90 days at a time within those 5 years.  I don't know where you are getting your info hence I asked for clarification.  I have spoken to a few expats that have the 5 years exemption cert and they also have the same problem.
Bluenz   reply           Most exemption holders on here have had no problems, Budman1 yesterday only just renewed his, and his wife's VEC for another 5yrs, he hasn't left the country for 7 yrs, ( I haven't left for nearly 4 yrs, my French associate here, many more years on the same Visa ).  Maybe the others all live in Nha Trang?
I've just had a good look at my Visa, it also states that the holder is entitled to Multiple entries ........ then the expiry date,  So why would they make you leave the country to renew an already current Visa??????  The 90-day period is just to keep an eye on your whereabouts, and collect revenue, I think some VN official pen pushers,  don't fully understand this Certificate , ( and of course what they say is always right, so end of argument ), I'd be interested in finding out where the Visa holders live, who are having the trouble renewing them
Tin Tin reply             I think that the 5 years Visa Exempt Cert allows a person to travel to Vietnam multiple times within 5 years.  That person does NOT have to apply for another Visa as long as that Exempt Cert is valid.   The person may only stay within VN for 90 days once they enter the country.  If the person wish to stay longer then he/she may fill out additional paperwork OR actually leave the country and re-enter. 
I do not KNOW the reasoning behind this madness but it is what it is.  We just have to know their rule and play their game. 
Many expats have been staying past the 90 days without consequences because once they exit the country, the airport officer is not looking carefully at the stamped date of entry.
Bluenz    Reply           Yes, but why leave the country when you do NOT need to? Naturally you will fill out the new application form BEFORE the 90 day expiry date.on the Passport Visa stamp that accompanies your VEC. ( maybe that's the problem, the officials are not being shown, or can find this stamp???? ).
AS I said it is all about keeping tabs on us, and of course collecting revenue.

5 year visa ?is it temporary residential card? is it possible to make 5 years??

No, it's not visa but a Visa Exemption Certificate  :)
No, it's not a TRC but you can live here with this if you extend after each 3 months (fee: $10).
Yeah, it's possible to obtain a 5 year VEC if your passport has enough time.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

charmavietnam wrote:

No, it's not visa but a Visa Exemption Certificate  :)
No, it's not a TRC but you can live here with this if you extend after each 3 months (fee: $10).
Yeah, it's possible to obtain a 5 year VEC if your passport has enough time.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

And you meet all the necessary requirements, i,e, being married to a VN, being a VK, etc )..
An N5 form ,  completed by your VN sponsor, ( wife, etc, ), is for renewing a VEC, every 90 days.
An N14 is for an ordinary Visa extension. ( Tourist , etc ).
Plus it doesn't cost you any more money if your paperwork is not correct, just time and frustration, .this will happen regularly, as the Govt departments have a habit of not cooperating with each other.

Here is a link to download forms for Visa application and renewals

http://xnc.congan.com.vn/vietkieu-nuocn … 0786512754
bugger , that's the Viet site, I booked marked the English version.
http://translate.google.com/translate?h … 26rls%3Dgm  try that one for English.

And you meet all the necessary requirements, i,e, being married to a VN, being a VK, etc )..
An N5 form ,  completed by you or your VN sponsor, ( wife, etc, ), is for renewing a VEC, every 90 days. also needed during Work Permit duration.
An N14 is for an ordinary Visa extension. ( Tourist , etc ).
N19 is for VEC application.
Plus it doesn't cost you any more money if your paperwork is not correct, just time and frustration, .this will happen regularly, as the Govt departments have a habit of not cooperating with each other.

Unless the rules have changed in the past few months, as best as I recall, you can do the 90 day entry stamp renewal this way.
- Establish a file with your nearest police station 
- Make a photocopy of your passport and the visa (or VEC) in it, for use the week the passport is with Immigration.
- Just before the 90 day period, complete the required renewal form, take it to the police station for their signature.
- Take your passport,  the form, and the police file, to Immigration.and leave the documents there.   
- Immigration will give a paper designating a date to pickup the documents. (7 days)
- Pick up your passport with a new stamp, and the file, and take them back to the local police to update the file.
With your letter a surrogate can submit & collect your documents at Immigration and the Police.

- Repeat every 90 days.

I offer this advice to anyone going after their PRC under the married to a VN citizen provision.
- Ensure that your passport has 4 years left
- apply for the police certificate from your home country (criminal record home country) & also
- apply for the police certificate from the Viet Nam authorities (criminal record while residing in VN)
Obtaining the two police certificates (if simultaneous applications submitted) can take 3-4 months.
After you have these documents submit them in your dossier (application, photos. CV, etc) to immigration.
Expect to have to return at least once to immigration to fix something that you overlooked or doesn't satisfy them  It most likely will relate to information on your CV. - Be Patient. Patience is a necessity, to be happy here. There is a lot to learn about the culture
- Immigration will give you a receipt with a date to return to pick up your PRC.

Applications for a PRC will only be accepted directly from the applicant, not a surrogate agency.
The PRC entitles you to enter VN  using the VN Resident lanes (shorter/faster) and exempts you from the 90 day stamp process, and it renews every 3 years with a fresh photo.
Renewing a 5yr VEC is also a fast, painless process.

God that sounds like a mission and a half

Why does this all sound sound so familiar, oh wait, probably because the very same info was posted VERY recently? ( it even had Application form numbers ).
    WOW, I finally get to read about some one who has a PRC, ( which has to be renewed every 3 yrs, why bother when a VEC lasts 5 yrs?, ( unless you are unlucky enough to come from a country that only issues a 5 yr Passport, ).
  I was told it was a 9 month minimum wait for a PRC,  but 2 yrs later I gave up inquiring about mine. ( and yes, all the paperwork was correct, the first time ), There was never any mention about a date to pick up the PRC , ( yes for the VEC ). because the application office doesn't have any say in the application, Hanoi does.
A VEC means exactly what it is called, A Visa Exemption, with naturally means you don't need to apply for a Multiple entry status ( or leave the country to renew it )
I'd love to watch a Foreigner trying to go through the VN Resident lane, WITHOUT producing a passport????

bluenz -- (are you a Maritimer?) If so, yes our country issues a 10 year passport. I thought the reason for preferring a PRC over a VEC (I had 2 ) would be obvious to anyone.  The 5 year VEC did not absolve me of the onerous obligation of obtaining a new stamp every 90 days. Over 3 years that is 24 trips to immigration and the police (+12 fees).  A PRC is renewed once every 3 years with a new photo & a small fee. 1 trip vs 24 trips every 3 years is sufficient cause for preferring a PRC.

I went through the Resident lane 3 months ago with my PRC. I had my passport available if they had asked for it..
Do you have a PRC and have you tried it? Reading your post I anticipate that your answer is no.

I didn't waste my time posting forms as it was already posted.  I could have posted the amended Ordinances, and much more from my file on the process, but again,  I don't intend to do all the work for others on the theory that you don't give someone fish - you teach them to fish. I simply offer the guidelines and the more important points.

There have been lots of changes since I came here 19 years ago, when the entire city had 2 streetlights (downtown) and 99.9% of the very few vehicles, were employee vans. Hanoi Rd was one narrow  lane in each direction and trucks drove on whichever side they chose, often without lights at night. There was almost nil traffic after 9 pm.  I have found the police to be  very helpful here, unless one is confrontational. In my period here  I have known an occasional expat, that lived in a smaller center, who became personna non grata, due to his behaviour. Personna non grata back then meant that you were given 30-60 days to leave the country, a touch of reality for any expat.

To any expat intending to remain a long time in Viet Nam, I would recommend that you go to a bookstore and obtain a bilingual copy of the Civil Code, (Bo Luat Dan Su) and read it thoroughly. Knowing and quoting from the Code gave me the upper hand with local officials and police and saved me a lot of trouble. It put the police on my side in disputes. The Code is somewhat similar to western law. Of course you can take the alternative and retain  a lawyer.

ehjay wrote:

bluenz -- (are you a Maritimer?) If so, yes our country issues a 10 year passport. I thought the reason for preferring a PRC over a VEC (I had 2 ) would be obvious to anyone.  The 5 year VEC did not absolve me of the onerous obligation of obtaining a new stamp every 90 days. Over 3 years that is 24 trips to immigration and the police (+12 fees).  A PRC is renewed once every 3 years with a new photo & a small fee. 1 trip vs 24 trips every 3 years is sufficient cause for preferring a PRC.

I went through the Resident lane 3 months ago with my PRC. I had my passport available if they had asked for it..
Do you have a PRC and have you tried it? Reading your post I anticipate that your answer is no.

I didn't waste my time posting forms as it was already posted.  I could have posted the amended Ordinances, and much more from my file on the process, but again,  I don't intend to do all the work for others on the theory that you don't give someone fish - you teach them to fish. I simply offer the guidelines and the more important points.

There have been lots of changes since I came here 19 years ago, when the entire city had 2 streetlights (downtown) and 99.9% of the very few vehicles, were employee vans. Hanoi Rd was one narrow  lane in each direction and trucks drove on whichever side they chose, often without lights at night. There was almost nil traffic after 9 pm.  I have found the police to be  very helpful here, unless one is confrontational. In my period here  I have known an occasional expat, that lived in a smaller center, who became personna non grata, due to his behaviour. Personna non grata back then meant that you were given 30-60 days to leave the country, a touch of reality for any expat.

To any expat intending to remain a long time in Viet Nam, I would recommend that you go to a bookstore and obtain a bilingual copy of the Civil Code, (Bo Luat Dan Su) and read it thoroughly. Knowing and quoting from the Code gave me the upper hand with local officials and police and saved me a lot of trouble. It put the police on my side in disputes. The Code is somewhat similar to western law. Of course you can take the alternative and retain  a lawyer.

Yes I can understand where a PRC can be useful and time/money saving, but how many people can actually get these?, ( that was my point ),  I've only ever heard of you and one other with a PRC. As I said I know the process, ( but it has probably changed in the 2 1/2 yrs since I applied ). That's why I don't bother recommending it to anyone anymore.
Most Expats in VN  are retired, ( as I'm supposed to be ), and are trying to live here permanently, so have no need or desire, to leave VN very often.

I actually look forward to my trips to Immigration, even though it is two 36 km round trips, it gives me another excuse to get an adrenalin rush , ( riding on the roads up here, and a break from my crazy neighbourhood ).

Also someone should not give advice on a Visa they have obviously never held.

" I would recommend that you go to a bookstore and obtain a bilingual copy of the Civil Code, (Bo Luat Dan Su) ", do we do this every few months?, as you well know, the laws seem to change, not only every few months or so, but also seem to differ from Province to Province?

As for the Resident Line at the Airport, are you trying tell us you just walked through without showing any documents at all????, ( maybe YOU can, because they all must know you very well by now? ).

Also re PRC, there is an initial fee of 2mil, ( that was 3 yrs ago ), so when you factor this in, there isn't really that much advantage financially in the first 2 or 3 yrs, ( I think this is what put my tightarse associate of 13 yrs VN residence off applying, ( I would have said my tightarse French associate, ( because he is French ), but apparently this would be implying that ALL French are tightarses??? ).
Perhaps your previous residence may have been somewhat of an advantage ehjay?

@ ehjay:
Thanks for your time to share such a detailed information  :)
Belated congratulations to hold a PRC!! ( Of course it is rarest of rare case nowadays!)

@ bluenz:
It's clear from his posts that he residing here more than 17 years! Just imagine the laws and officials of Vietnam 5 years ago.  :) 
So there is a high possibility to get documents that periods. Also it's clear from his post that he has a good connection with locals and authorities.
PRC gives more privileges and rights than a TRC and of course it may not need to show a passport in Vietnam immigration logically but most of the time they may ask unless they are lazy  :)

charmavietnam wrote:

@ ehjay:
Thanks for your time to share such a detailed information  :)
Belated congratulations to hold a PRC!! ( Of course it is rarest of rare case nowadays!)

@ bluenz:
It's clear from his posts that he residing here more than 17 years! Just imagine the laws and officials of Vietnam 5 years ago.  :) 
So there is a high possibility to get documents that periods. Also it's clear from his post that he has a good connection with locals and authorities.
PRC gives more privileges and rights than a TRC and of course it may not need to show a passport in Vietnam immigration logically but most of the time they may ask unless they are lazy  :)

Yes Charma,  a friend told me how only 12 years ago, he was escorted around Hanoi by the Cong An, they used to follow foreigners around all the time then.
  Where I live we are still not allowed to take photo's of certain areas, ( I try not to laugh when I think of Google Earth ), I am the only foreigner allowed to stay in my wife's commune. ( It is a fishing port, which has good sea access ).
Going up to Minority country, ( less than a1 hr drive ) , can also bring headaches, an associate who frequently rides around here . was pulled up by the local Cong An up there, he then had to take his VN wife into QN Cong An , and she had to do a lot of explaining, as to what he was doing up there, ( almost like needing a permit , as in Abbo country in Aus ),
I didn't like to imply ehjay was in with the Cong An.
But getting back to Immigration, he must have had to show some sort of documentation, while attempting to walk through Customs?, ( now everyone will trying it after ready his post, hahaha ). Even as lazy as some Officers maybe , I can't imagine them just sitting there, and waving any Foreigner past, as you know , most VN's are nosy, sorry , I mean inquisitive, and some are just plain annoying , any chance they can get to show how important they are , will be taken advantage of.

Yeah, they changed a lot after 5 years!

I have to apologize and correct my prior post. I just confirmed with my wife that we both had to present our passport for an entry stamp, when returning to VN on our last trip. I recalled handing him my PRC but I was positive not my passport or it being stamped. So In that case the PRC only allows one to use the Resident line and avoid the necessity of the 90 day stamp.

The first time that I was aware that the PRC was offered was 2000. I had no reason to change from a 5 yr CEV until they implemented the 90 day rule. For anyone planning to remain long term it makes sense to get a PRC, imo.  Yes the fee is still $100. 

Haha,  ehjay, I've been there as well, my neighbours on each side are also related, ( but hardly talk??, the only piece of gossip I'd really like to know here ), apparently my wall/fence, was built on the " boundary " line , so when I wanted to make it higher, they watched me set up stacks of bricks every 2 metres , for 2 weeks, over 3000 in  total, then the day I organised some workers to help, after the first load of cement, they were at  the wall, saying they would knock down any new brickwork, I stewed on it for a couple of hours, then came back with , " ok, if you won't let me build up the original wall, ( to 1.8 ms ), I will go back onto my land and build a wall 3 ms high, how do you like THAT???  ", Apparently they didn't like that,  so went running to my wife and we had a debate, I never said I wasn't going to build the 3m wall, but then again, I didn't say I wasn't going to either, so I let them worry about that for a few weeks, ( they didn't want a wall because they needed the sun to dry their rice/peanuts/corn etc, the funny thing about it, is there would have been no problems, if I was to build a 5 m high monstrosity of a house???? )
In the end, I didn't make the wall any higher, I was satisfied with proving to them , that I was just as " smart  ' as them, and now we are good neighbours.

I would recommend that you get the Civil Code (bilingual) and learn what your "rights" are, and what their "rights" are. When they infringe on your "rights", then don't argue with them, immediately call Canh Sat & file a complaint with Uy Ban, and show them the section in the code that was violated. They will have to take your side.

Watching Viet Nam grow and mature over 19 years has been an interesting experience to say the least. Viet Nam has problems that are basically no different from any other country. The people are ambitious due to the poverty that they have risen out of. They are friendly and very talented and patient. I enjoy their old culture and I am saddened to see it become "Westernized". In 1995, coming to VN was like stepping back 60 years in time, when life was more simple & enjoyable. That is what made me fall in love with the place.

Robert Greco wrote:

We are a business service company in vietnam. We need a proper company to prossess visa.. The office gives us a hard time to process .. That's the deal hanh 0978421279

Welcome to VN , if you have your paper correct , why should they treat you any different? Just something you have to get used to living here. ( without resorting to coffee money every time ).

Guys!
After this thread I saw so many members confused with VEC, TRC, PRC and WP.  :)
Here is the expansion of above mentioned abbreviations.

VEC = Visa Exemption Certificate.
            Certain category of people are exempted from Visa (including spouses who married with Vietnamese - check the Original Post to see other categories). People in that category can apply for this certificate. Remember that this is not a 5 year Visa (as many of you posted) but a Visa Exemption Certificate. There is NO 5 year visa in Vietnam.

TRC = Temporary Residence Card. Normally TRC should apply along with Work Permit. TRC allows the holder to reside in Vietnam and travel other countries and return without a Visa.

PRC = Permanent Residence Card. Certain category of people can apply for this including spouses who married with Vietnamese Nationals.

WP = Work Permit. I think no need to explain this. Almost people are familiar with WP  :)
Happy living in Vietnam!!

Interesting! No doubt accurate, as the information seems to come from some official source. However, the procedures differed when I got mine in HCM just 90 days ago. The notable difference was that they did not require any photos. That and the fee was only $10

Yeah, bta87.
Can you explain the new procedures to our members? Updating will help others.
Did you mean first time issuance? For $10?
I saw many official sources published as I mentioned in the Original Post.
Thanks in advance!

bta87 wrote:

Interesting! No doubt accurate, as the information seems to come from some official source. However, the procedures differed when I got mine in HCM just 90 days ago. The notable difference was that they did not require any photos. That and the fee was only $10

Indeed, the fees i paid for the first time issue was still only $10, not the $20 mentioned in the official guide. Perhaps i just lucked out. Even the $20 first tome is not a big issue. Just amplifies how tge rules can be interpreted dufferently. I did not have to provide pictures either. Prrhaps my passport photos sufficed.
Im not saying my experience consitutes new procedures either. Just how my experience diffeted from the govt rule book. To which it seems i made off quite well.

Yeah, may be the staff sometime behave like this  :)
Some time they go over rule too! That make others anger on the governing system.
Anyway I checked in MOFA site again but it still the same I posted above: $20 and $10  :)
If the regulations changed they should update the sites. Or may be forgot?

bta87 wrote:

Indeed, the fees i paid for the first time issue was still only $10, not the $20 mentioned in the official guide. Perhaps i just lucked out. Even the $20 first tome is not a big issue. Just amplifies how tge rules can be interpreted dufferently. I did not have to provide pictures either. Prrhaps my passport photos sufficed.
Im not saying my experience consitutes new procedures either. Just how my experience diffeted from the govt rule book. To which it seems i made off quite well.

You know it might be that the $20 fee is for someone in a different situation than mine e.g. They are seeking the seperate VEC and not the one placed in your passport. Then to it might be they seek a VEC not due to marriage and the picies are different for them.
Im thinking perhaps my photo in my passport sufficed for the need to produce a photo. Who knows!

That's a possibility  :)

They rarely follow visa rules  :)
That's why you can 'buy' different kinds of visas other than included in the visa rules. (eg. Visas issued/ issuing from Cambodian embassy/consulate)
Once, while in a visa run to Phnom Penh, Cambodia, that retarded bast*rd rejected to stamp my visa saying some stupid things. Then I give my PP to an agency nearby the hotel I stayed and they fix it within hours from Sihanoukville with a minimum cost  :)

Em oi!
We are talking about Visa Exemption Certificate, not tourist visa exemption  :)

Dear charmvietnam,
You know very clearly anything about vietnam visa. Thank you so much :)

Not much dear. Just little to live here  :)

morepassion wrote:

Dear charmvietnam,
You know very clearly anything about vietnam visa. Thank you so much :)

I'm glad I'm found this thread.  Thanks.

They'll only give you about a 2 1/2 year VEC. Just get a new passport good for 10 years and a full 5 years of VEC. That's what we did last year.

peterpan75 wrote:

..[moderated: deleted asked by author]

I can only speak for myself but our conditions down here in the Delta are much better than in the big citys. Do the paperwork right and on time and you shouldn't have very many problems.

I can only speak for myself but our conditions down here in the Delta are much better than in the big citys. Do the paperwork right and on time and you shouldn't have very many problems.
Thanks!

Thank for sharing the useful information! I will need it for next year :)