South African looking to move to Canada

Hi everyone. I have tried applying for loads of jobs in Alberta, no real luck. So just wanted to find out if their where other people that went through the process, and if you could help me out.Thanks

Hello Iresh123,

Perhaps (without posting your entire CV/Resume of course) if you were to briefly tell us what line of work you have been in, some of your qualifications are and experience you have our other members might be able to give you useful suggestions.

Don't forget that finding a job from abroad is never going to be as easy as doing a job search in the country. You could try contacting multi-national companies in South Africa and see if they can help you either in terms of placement in Canada, or at the very least put you in touch with the right people in their Human Resources Department.

Also visiting the Canadian website of many large multi-national companies my also provide some results, many of their sites have direct links to their HR Department where you can submit your CV/Resume.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

No problem, Here is a short description

I am an Instrument Mechanician/Journeyman working for a mining company in Richards Bay, South Africa.
Have 7 year experience inlcuding plant and lab enviroments.Trade tested.Thats about it.

Will definately check out those sites, appreciate the help

Agree with William that finding a job overseas isn't easy. Also remember that many jobs in Canada are not advertised.  Because of this, they are referred to as the hidden job market.  Information about available work is circulated through managers, employees, family, friends and acquaintances.  The most effective way to find work in the hidden job market is through "networking." Of course if you do not have any contact like family or friends in Canada that can be hard on you to have your foot in. So some people simply apply for the PR (many routes - Federal or Provincial Nominee) and then land and start the job hunting. The former takes longer compared to the later. For provincial nominee, once you get approve, you are fast track. However, this method require lots of initial financial commitment and there is no guarantee.

Other networking technique is joining linkedin group discussions. Note: Often times, headhunters post job vacancies in forums rather than on the web portal. When I was in job hunting mode, I subscribed to dozens of linkedin groups and job related twitter handles.

Thanks phillipyeo, that was very informative, did create a profile on linkedin, I think now I will try and make myself more marketable on these sites, has been a bit of a struggle, contemplate going through an agency sometimes, but it's really expensive, our South African rand is not the strongest of currencies either, but keeping the faith, appreciate the time you took to send me the information. Have a great weekend.