Best Food market in MALE

Hey there,

i finally arrived in Male 2 days ago and looking for the best market where i can find fresh foods/affordable vegetables, fruits and sea foods.

i quickly went around yesterday and found few bistros (lemon grass and some other thai resto's) can anyone help me out with the locations of good places to dine out here in maldives...

and appreciate as well if u can advise me on where to get fresh/affordable foods as i mentioned above.

Thanks!

Eve

Hi eve.,,welcome to Male'..!
Did you came here together with your stuffs and everything??

..at Male' Fish Market..!A wide variety of fresh fish can be found there specially tuna!
They also have Fruit and vegetable market here!

hi eve,

welcome to the maldives :)

like edvilyn, has suggested you can get quite a variety of fruits and vegetables from the local market which is next block to the male fish market... however the prices of certain fruits and certain vegetables are relatively cheaper than buying from shops inside male tho most are competitive to the prices offered by the inside shops...

i think there is about 4 categories of food places,

fast food chains (HOTAA) - only men goes in to these hotaa's

food joints on north and south part of maldives... - the prices are very good while both men and women goes there.

cafes and bistros - medium to high class people visits them, like lemon grass, sefron, price is ok etc

Restaurents - upper class, expensive....

hope this helped

cheers
mooch

hi edvilyn,

thanks for the info... i finally moved today to my permanent accommodation (adk residence) i heard that im quite near to this fish market... will try to check it out tomorrow. btw, where do u work and stay in male?

hey mooch,

food joints on north and south part of maldives... - the prices are very good while both men and women goes there. (sounds weird to me that some place are visited only by men)?? =)

will be trying lemon grass this weekend i guess, as that's the only resto i am familiar with... and how about fine dining resto's how much is the price range for the main course? would 300 rufiya would be good enough to dine in a decent resto/bistro? when u say expensive, how expensive it is??

Thanks in advance! :)

hi yeah,

it WAS a custom n maldives that mostly men goes to work, hence they use these less expensive places to have a cup of tea during breaks and when they meet to socialize.. and those places are much less hygienic/noisy compared to the rest of the fast food places...

per person 300rf should be ok for dine dining. however there are places like sala thai... where it might cost anything from 800-1500 for a couple...

in a decent resto 300 is more than ok..

cheers
mooch

hi girl,,have you been to Fish market already??
anyways,i'm working at Island Editions,i live here at Ameeni Magu,other end of Male' I'm near Artificial Beach...

Let's meet sometimes.. ;)

good market with variety of fresh option and dining place with good food...... where? where?
hehe.... share loooo..... love to try...

Hi Eve,,,,

As others mentioned the place to source vegetables and fruit is the LOCAL MARKET. There u will find a collection of fruits and can indulge in shopping.

With reference to cafes there are places like Jade, Shell Beans, Lemon grass etc. and it is upto the people who visit them. You find decent food there. Then there are some upmarket joints like Aioli, Marybrown and the ultimate and the best is Hulhule Island Hotel.

You can get some good bargains at Fantasy, Sea gull and STO and you have to grab them. AGORA, VB also have good stuff....

Well thats abt it.....

Anything else then please write for an update.

hi Eve.. welcome to male'..
'Night market' will be open in July until start of Ramadan.. I guess u will be interested to check it out.. but it is for items other than fruits n veggies.
btw even I was staying in adk residence, n yes, u cannot get sea view from there.

Hi eve,

Warm welcome to the Maldives!

There are lots of good resto/food shops in Male where you can find variety of food. You can easily find them once you walk around the island. As they have already mentioned, you can find fresh seafoods in the fish market and fresh vegetables and fruits in nearby area. Try Fantasy Store in Fareedhee magu if you need some good processed meat.If you want to have a relaxing dinner, try West Park and Marble cafe roofdeck that are located near STO office bldg, it is on the opposite end of Majeedhee magu artificial beach.

Eating out with friends is so much fun. I'm sure you already have handful of friends right now and WE (Expat-blog,MV) wish to be part of them.

Enjoy and be happy always =)

Happy eating

hi wow pinoy, i actually liked it at marble, i went there last weekend with my local colleagues, we had some nice pizza as well.. think il be hanging out there more often now.. i usually go to jazz cafe as i pass by there everyday. :)

@mantra21

u also work at the airport?? where do u stay now? as you mentioned that you were staying before in adk...?

hi
im from sri lanka tommorw i'll be in moldiv .who can say where are i can get rooms for stay.reply soon

Park house, behind Sultan Park. 3336060

[Moderated: pls post in the housing section]

hi frnd, how are you .....