Driving down

I really wanted to avoid driving down again ,but it seems that my choices are limited and I will most likely HAVE to drive to Belize in early Dec 2013.
Going solo and wondering if anyone is planning same trip around the same time.
If so, are you interested in joining forces for the ride thru Mexico ?
I have done Mexico ,tip to tip, 10 times and there are some advantages to having some "back up" when in that country.
Interested ?

Dave I've heard some crazy story's about driving through Mexico , I've got a opportunity too go too Belize and work on a farm there I'm a carpenter framer drummer and want too drive so I've got transportation down there . I've got jet blue credit enuff for two round trip tickets from Boston I'm living on Nantucket  and have a opportunity too goo live on a Fam that's got contracts supplying veggies too resorts

Driving thru Mexico can be an "adventure" or it can be smooth and hassle free...

You better investigate work permits.
Entering Bze as a tourist means you cannot work ..either for pay or as a volunteer.
Working without a permit can end you up in the "Hattieville Hilton" and then get you booted out of the country.
Methinks that you will find that the cost of the work permit (if you as a carpenter can even get one)plus the very low wages in Bze a big hurdle for you.
IF you can get a work permit,THEN you are gonna have a problem with Bze Customs over your vehicle.
They will want to charge you a truly outrageous amount as import duty on the vehicle .
It's probably better to use that money and just buy yourself a scooter "in country".

Don't mean to burst the bubble but you better check ALL this out BEFORE you leave home.

Hi  Dave,   Have U left yet??   I just saw U'R post      thanx  J  C   :)

@ diverguy69: Please avoid the SMS language so as to ease the reading :)

Arrived Belize 2 weeks ago.
Laredo crossing down past Monterrey, Queretaro,Puebla Cordoba ,Villahermosa is now in my view the ONLY route you want to take.
None of the crap you go thru on coastal route....police extortion,topes,villages, crappy roads,slow truck traffic.
The Laredo route is as close to interstate -like travel that you will find in Mexico.

EastCoastDave wrote:

Arrived Belize 2 weeks ago.
Laredo crossing down past Monterrey, Queretaro,Puebla Cordoba ,Villahermosa is now in my view the ONLY route you want to take.
None of the crap you go thru on coastal route....police extortion,topes,villages, crappy roads,slow truck traffic.
The Laredo route is as close to interstate -like travel that you will find in Mexico.

Hey Dave, Thanx 4 the info  J  C

Dave, since the drive takes about 34 hours, where did you stop to sleep? I may need to make this trek.

There are lots of easily accessible hotels in Mexico.
A few chains like Best Western and Holiday Inn provide predictable accommodations.
Personally I use the  Auto Hotels usually found on the outskirts of most cities - clean and pretty cheap and  usually accept pets.

I'm driving down in December and have studied several different routes. Could you please give more details on your route?? I will be pulling a horse trailer and following our RV. Thanks for the help.

Cross at Laredo or Mission
By Monterrey ,thru San Luis de Potosi ,Queretaro,Peubla,Cordoba ,Villahermosa then Chetumal
Toll roads most of the way .but can be mountainous so I dunno about horse trailers or RVs
Look up the route here http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/sibuac_ … EscogeRuta

Hi Dave,
I had a plan to drive down last Oct. but got tied up in surgery in Austin. I am now planning on doing that trip and at the moment, going solo with my dog. I plan to make it down to Ambergris Caye, perhaps we can talk . Drop me a line. Marcie

Just wanted to say thanks for the info,