Tailor made suits in HCMC

Hi,

new on this forum and in the city since 1.5 months now, hello to everyone :)

I thought to myself that a tailor made suit would be a nice way to spend my Dongs. My female flatmate would join in for some nice (business) dresses.

Do you have any experience with tailor made clothes in HCMC? Any advice where to go and how much at least to spend? It would be my first suit, and my first tailor-made anything ;)
If the tailor could speak some English, that would be perfect.

Some tailors and good/bad experiences are described here and here .

But I would like to hear more opinions especially from expats and not tourists/tourist books before I go and follow a single experience. For me it's not a problem to go there for several fittings. No rush rush 1 day thing. I got those addresses elsewhere on the web. Do you know one of them?

For men's suits and shirts, I advise you to go for Tailor Son at 226 Tran Quang Khai st. I had a suit made of Cerruti Cashmere (100%) with Cerruti silk lining for only about 400$. The average suit is 240$ for Italian cashmere-wool cloth. Shirts are 30$. Excellent workmanship and only 1-2 fittings as I recall. The owner is extremely friendly and helpful. They delivered to my hotel for free as well. Hope this helps.
---- Reply -----
I use Chanh at 176 Dien Tinh Hoang, D1. Really good quality stuff - suits around the $150-200 mark, shirts $25-30. They have loads of suit fabrics; shirt fabrics are more limited so you may want to buy your fabric at the market first. They speak decent English as well.
---- Reply -----
Hi, can also look for Tricia & Verona (T & V) @ 39 Dong Du Street

Thanks for any advice :)
Best regards,
Martin

hi martin,

my wife runs a tailor and fashion shop in le thanh ton 268, D1.

tailormade clothes for men and woman. high quality fabrics and tailoring at reasonable prices. english speaking staff.

you are more than welcome to visit and see for yourself. opening time is from 9am to 9pm daily.

best regards,
henrik

Hi Henrik,

thanks for your reply. Actually I hoped for more feedback.
I will just check it out by myself I guess. :)

Martin

Hey Martin,

You found good tailors already? Looking for one myself...

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

I was too busy to do it. Only checked out this tailor recommended by a friend who said all the business men and embassy people would go there. It's close to Ben Thanh Market. They told me at least 3 weeks for a suit.

Here the address:
DUNG Tailor, 221 Le Thanh Ton

Also got to know an American tailor building up a business in Asia. You can check his website for his contact details, he is very helpful. brijuni.us/

Hope that helps, its all the information I got.

Best regards,
Martin

hey,

i tried with a tailor at q_hana fashion
They were very amazing.

Both i and my wife very sasticfied with our clothes

Their email: [email protected]

cheer!

hi,

I've lived in Saigon for 4 years, I find out a good tailor with perfect price (only around $50-$70 for 1 suit, shirt is about $14)

of-course with Italian fabric is more expensive.

hope it helps.
address:   shopdung.com
241A De Tham , district 1

cheer

david soria wrote:

hi,

I've lived in Saigon for 4 years, I find out a good tailor with perfect price (only around $50-$70 for 1 suit, shirt is about $14)

of-course with Italian fabric is more expensive.

hope it helps.
address:   shopdung.com
241A De Tham , district 1

cheer

I have lived in HCMC for a year Im afraid I would have to advise anyone against using Dung Tailors on De Tham... both times I used this tailor the results were far from acceptable.

I ordered a suit which even after 3 different alteration sessions the jacket failed to fit properly and the sales woman just advised me not to button it up... (thanks for the advice but I assumed a tailor made suit was meant to fit like a glove not like a hand me down). They eventually agreed (after many complaints) to remake the jacket and at least now it fits OK but its truly not a tailor made fit.

For some reason (the price being cheap) I thought I would given them a second chance and I placed an order for two shirts. After placing the order and the requested 50% deposit I received a phone call 5 hours later from the shop owner to say they have cancelled my order and to come collect my deposit asap as they no longer want my custom. Customer service in vietnam is normally terrible but in this specific case its non existent. At this shop the customer is WRONG!

So I suppose its true what they say.... In life you pay for what you get! If you want a cheap tailor with a questionable service I would recommend visiting Dung at 241A De Tham.

Thanks

Dung, le thanh ton hands down. you pay a bit more than most but its quality and still far cheaper than anywhere back home

For women suit, Pls contact 0907.913.782. They have service to go to your place for size measurement and delivery. The suit is quite good and they speak good english. Price is also resonable about 100$ without fabric cost.

bob marian wrote:

Hi jjones84

only 1 reason is : you didn't respect our shop, so we didn't do your order.
We always try ourbest for customer pleasure, but just for whom know how to respect each other.

I went to collect my refund  from the shop today (see my previous post) and the woman in the shop was very rude and hostile towards me. She asked if I has posted something on Expat.com to which i said yes and she became very argumentative. I calmly explained to her that I'm entitled to my opinion and just asked for my deposit. I got my deposit and as I was leaving I tried speaking to the owner who was present for the whole time but he said nothing and didn't seem interested.

Just to clarify I was never rude in any way or "disrespected any shop". At the time of placing my order i asked if the shop could complete my order within the time needed (2 days) and if they couldn't I would go to another tailor who could meet the requirement.

guys, please exchange in private (we are not a customer service forum)

thnaks

hi all,

I recommend Dung on 221 Le Thanh Ton also. I've gotten about 5 suits from them. Price is higher than normal but the quality is good. Also they take longer than others (about a month) but I don't mind since the quality is good.

Also they will alter it several times until you're happy. Only thing is that they tend to make shorter jackets so you should be specific about what length you want.

[Moderated]

I also shopped around some suitable tailors and unfortunately the services and quality of most places are medocre to abysmal. The "smart" entrepreneurs are the ones that places a strong emphasis on customer service, which translates into REPEATED business and constant stream of$$$. Most VN tailors and businessmen unfortunately turns to basic predatory instincts of short-term gains--cheat, coerce, take the shortest cheapest route per transaction, preferred good location/monopoly or political connection over product or service quality--a very nearsighted mill you while I can mentality. I would concur with jjones about avoiding Dung on De Tham. Yes, the suits are cheap (2-3$ silk ties!) but service is terrible with the exception of the woman in charge/owner wife. Dung@ le thanh ton seems adequate although with a tad higher price rage. Thankfully, plenty of shops abound between de tham and buy bien near ham ngu Lao. Also check out cheapie tailors at Cho Lon Chinese enclave.

Hi

Just got one suit from Duc Tan , 152 B-C Tran Quang Khai. District 1. These people have obviously been around for many years, were advised by a vietnamese friend as one of th ebest and most serious in town. Quality and service are really good. Shop is always very busy which is a sign. Only little small problem. They don't speak Vietnamese. .... which is a sign too !!

AlCatraz wrote:

Hi Aaron,

I was too busy to do it. Only checked out this tailor recommended by a friend who said all the business men and embassy people would go there. It's close to Ben Thanh Market. They told me at least 3 weeks for a suit.

Wow. 3 weeks!? What's the average time it takes with other places?

Hi,

I am surprised that some tailors take 1 month to complete a suit. I usually go to H&D Tailor, and they just need about 1 week, and in urgent cases, they can make it 3-4 days. The quality is upscale with many choices of price from imported fabrics.

Here is the address: H&D Tailor
Shop 6 Pham Hong Thai street, D1, New World hotel, HCMC (near Ben Thanh market)

The owner and his wife are really nice, I was surprised by their hospitality!

Since August, I need to made a suit to go to the party. And my friend introduced me to Phan Collection shop in Le Thanh Ton street, near New World hotel. He told me that they made very nice, fast and speak English very well. Then I try to come and order a suit with Italy fabric, superfine 150'and the price is only 180$.It's quite cheap. Like my friend had introduced me that my suit made very fast. And the next morning I come for fitting, then I picked it up the day after. So it takes only 2 days to made my suit.
When I come back to the hotel, I checked it again, and I remember that I need lining for my pants. So I went back to the shop and asked the owner of the shop to add lining for me. And she agreed to do that without complaining.
I'm so amazed about their enthusiasm and feel satisfied of their service, so I order 1 more suits and 1 shirt. I hope this information would become useful for every one.

I have to say i have some experience with Dung on le thanh ton as well...
and they are for sure not good

i even brought a trouser with to show them what i want...
they just ignored and after i told its not what i wanted they are rude and shitty to customers..
for me it look like they have much to much customers...

since there i go to "godfather"
dont have the adress in the moment... will search it if you need..

hi
I and my friend have some experience with some tailor in HCM.
The best tailor is Cao minh, next is Dung le thanh ton, but price is expensive ( may be more famous?).
With English teacher's salary, we would like somewhere with reasonable price
some addresses help:

chanh 176 dinh tien hoang, dist1

dung 241A de tham, dist1  (shopdung.com)

I will find some more place and post later....

Guys,

If you are going to Dung, never go to the "Dung" at De Tham. Despite the namesake, the quality is bad. The blazers are fused, and stitching isn't good enough. Some of their branded fabrics are also a bit dubious.

Dung on Le Thanh Ton, on the other hand, is the best in town. Actually, that title would be tied together with Cao Minh but Cao Minh tends to be a bit more touristy and I really don't like the fact that they are doing it too fast. No real tailoring of a suit can be done in that record time, even for a skilled tailor. The outcome won't be really good. I am not a tailor myself but I know pretty darn well about tailoring and men's fashion. Dung at Le Thanh Ton also has a decent collection of fabrics at the shop next door, Minh, which is run by Dung's wife. The old man himself is very skilled. But yeah, the waiting time is long. 3 weeks to 1 month for suits, and 2 weeks for shirts. Oh and they canvas the jackets, not fused. It matters a lot when it comes to quality of a suit.

Chuong Tailor at 409, Nguyen Dinh Chieu is pretty darn good too. He also canvas the jackets, and the prices are quite good. But don't expect any suits around $70 to $80, unless you are providing the fabrics. With the fabric cost, that rate is simply impossible if you are looking for a suit that won't fall apart in 6 months time. Do the math. Investing around $200 or $250 for a tailored suit with decent fabric at a good tailor will make you look like a million buck and it will last you for at least 5 to 6 years.

The next two tailors I am gonna recommend speak no English, and carry no fabric. This is only for those who have decent Tieng Viet proficiency or a friend to interpret, and can buy own fabrics. Go to Chieu Veston at 720 Nguyen Dinh Chieu, or Tuan Tailors at 524 Le Hong Phong. Give them detailed photos, and specify everything in the way you want. They are skilled tailors and can do exactly what you want, but only if you tell them (they are not telepaths!).

Oh and for fabrics, either you can purchase at Minh (just beside Dung at Le Than Ton) or go to An Dong Market at Tran Phu Street in District 5. Bring someone knowledgeable about fabrics and you'll be fine. You can PM me too if you want. I will help you out.

-- Sam

[Moderated: Please use your PM system]

Thank you so much KHT for your comment. Last week, i had 2 suits and 6 shirts made. I really pleased about quality and prices at Phan Collection.

Hi,

I recommend HTBOUTIQUE at 562 Dien Bien Phu Street, District 10. Price is cheap and quality is so good.

But in there only for women :)

could you please give me the phone number and address of "god father" (Bo gia) tailor? I heard good things about them but could not find the contact info.

How about the one at pha mu lau street. The service is,good and price is resonable.

I travelled to Vietnam from Singapore for a holiday. Prior to arriving I researched and emailed a few tailors about making a traditional 3-piece morning suit, I spent a lot of time explaining the fabrics I wanted, the style and my stature to help with the quote. I was responded to by Kien from Cao Minh who quoted USD$500-1000. I explained to him that my budget was USD$500, he responded that it should be fine but I would need to go for a lower grade of wool and it might be slightly more that USD$500.

When I got to HCMC Kien arranged for me to see Khuyen at their Dong Khoi shop, she had me choose some fabrics. I chose and she quoted about USD$800 for 2-pieces. I explained my budget and she got out some cheap 50% man made fibre materials and quote USD$650 for 2-pieces.

I left furious. The Cao Minh tactic is obviously to say what you want to hear to get you through the doors then try and upsell hard. I went to Dung tailor that evening and found all the fabrics I wanted and was treated with respect.

Do not waste your time at Cao Minh, they are serious rip-off merchants and time-wasters!

nh1 wrote:

I travelled to Vietnam from Singapore for a holiday. Prior to arriving I researched and emailed a few tailors about making a traditional 3-piece morning suit, I spent a lot of time explaining the fabrics I wanted, the style and my stature to help with the quote. I was responded to by Kien from Cao Minh who quoted USD$500-1000. I explained to him that my budget was USD$500, he responded that it should be fine but I would need to go for a lower grade of wool and it might be slightly more that USD$500.

When I got to HCMC Kien arranged for me to see Khuyen at their Dong Khoi shop, she had me choose some fabrics. I chose and she quoted about USD$800 for 2-pieces. I explained my budget and she got out some cheap 50% man made fibre materials and quote USD$650 for 2-pieces.

I left furious. The Cao Minh tactic is obviously to say what you want to hear to get you through the doors then try and upsell hard. I went to Dung tailor that evening and found all the fabrics I wanted and was treated with respect.

Do not waste your time at Cao Minh, they are serious rip-off merchants and time-wasters!

Hi,

I usually don't like to choose cloth in those in tailoring shops cos I know somehow about cloth and I always know where to go to have the cloth I want with many options at suitable prices. I really cant imagine how a suit costs more than $50. Maybe the shop's renting makes that price.

I ordered a pair of trousers and a shirt from** L D** Street. As it was recommended I thought it would be ok.  The girl spoke decent English and it all seemed to be going well.  The initial fitting went well.  I had ordered a button down shirt which they hadn't put on.  The assistant said she forgot.  There was also something else they had done wrong.  It wasn't a major problem but why sit down with me and ask how i want it designed if you do as you please?  Anyway, when i went to pick it up the buttons on the collar were completely different to the rest of the shirt.  It looked awful.  The assistant told me they didn't have buttons for the collar so she used different ones. If i wanted them changed I would have to come back another day.  I told her that I was happy with the trousers and I would just take them. SHe phoned her boss who said give him his money back and don't give the trousers. or the shirt.  What a great way to do business.  I was happy with the trousers.  Nothing special but i needed some. Eventually , after half hour discussion and half hour wait, they got me new buttons for the whole shirt.  Shoddy.  Won't going there again.  It was a trial.  I want another pair of trousers and at least three more shirts.

You have what you pay for at D** T**... After 2 weeks i made my shirts.. The glue used for the  collar and the handles have some bubles... Very cheap quality... Moreover,  the pant that they tailored was burn by the shop when they iron it... I do not recommend this tailor... In an tourist area.. Do not expect to have good job done... Especially if you live abroad...

@Mayaman - @ stouf69 > you are a bit off topic here.

Also this is topic is inactive since 2014 and note that the subject is "Tailor made suites in HCMC" means that everyone is looking for a good Tailor.

Thank you

Perhaps it's unfair to chime in. (Having only had clothes made in Thailand). After years, I'm no longer bothering with MTM as fabrics and style are likely substandard. While one can buy top quality items on Ebay. Yep, floating canvass and all. A silk-linen mix for the hot climate? You should try that!

"Silk"? Replace that with Polyester.

TYRWHITT shirts - they often have a sale and one can get a great shirt for a lot less than one made-to-measure. And for used stuff, a nice jacket often costs just a few bucks plus shipping. Check it out. And pay for decent dry cleaning...

Are you serious?

Me, I often use the cloth brand as a search word on Ebay. There are a few famous European mills... Scabal, Dormeuil, ... Good fabrics will cost hundreds alone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1cVYydNX4k                    youtube.com/watch?v=Hb2Hfi7A03w 

Hope this will be tolerated: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/asia-thailand/topics/read-this-tailoring-in-thailand While this is about Bangkok, a lot of the issues raised will apply to HCMC as well.

The OP, Geographicus is very knowledgeable and the kind of guy who drops more than the average English teacher's annual salary on suits and shirts p.a.

Does anyone like American makers like HART SCHAFFNER and OXXFORD?

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed - please register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi everybody,

If you are looking for tailor made shirt or suit, I would recommend the tailor shop at 268 Le Thanh Ton street, district 1. The tailor was my neighbor and my bf got few shirts and pants made by him. They are all quite good. He says all the fabric is from Italy.
Maybe you can come there to have a look. The shop name is Binh Tailor

Thanks for the information. Once we get settled in HCM I will need a couple of suits and shirts.

Regards

Jerry

Go to the contact page on this site: houseofbrijuni.com House of Brijuni[/url] (email is the best way to contact). I have had multiple suits made by the Vietnamese head tailor and they are of excellent quality.

At work, my boss wants me to wear suits. He offered to take me to a tailor :o

OP, how have you fared? What was your choice? Are you happy with it?

Can't help it to be skeptical than of all the fabrics, "100% cashmere" is named. Yes, I own such garments, both jackets and pullovers. The jackets are usually a mix with silk.

Do the burn test?  But then, I'm hung up over fabrics - few people are... The cheapo pants I had made were polyester and small "cocoons" would form, not to mention the shapeless mess the whole thing was. Am just hoping that you will be happy with your suit. Me, I wish I could undo all orders for MTM, made to measure clothes I ever placed.