Health insurance for Hepatitis C

I have a 19 yr. old son who has Hep C.  Our health ins. will not pay if we leave the US.   The approved treatment here is $150,000.00.  Anyone know what it would cost to get the treatment in P.R.??
Thanks.

(1) If you go to PR you are not leaving the USA. Double check your health insurance coverage. If you have HMO you do have to use their doctors so you would be out of luck.; (2) read threads about medical care in PR, it's important if one has an existing disease; (3) how the heck are you going to pay for treatment out of your pocket if it costs $100,000+? Are you wealthy?; (4) I don't know anything about how Hc is treated, but I know it's serious and lifelong - personally I'd never move to PR if I had a serious disease, medical care there sucks.

Thanks for your comment.  We have Aetna Ins. and they have denied paying for the recommended drugs to treat Hep. C.  They claim it is experimental, but it has been used for several years with good results.   I have appealed to the Ins. Co. but I'm sure they will deny paying.   No, I am not wealthy.  I just wondered if I could get my son treated in PR out of pocket if I had to.

I'm so sorry your family is dealing with this serious issue with your son.  I wish you all the best and God Bless!

mary615 wrote:

I just wondered if I could get my son treated in PR out of pocket if I had to.

I don't think it will be a lot cheaper over here but you should find out.
You may try to contact Hima Health and see what they can offer: www.himahealth.com

In general medical care here on the island is not good. (check this thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=359991 )

All the best for your son!