Pollution Mask

I've recently developed a sore throat and a cough...

This is  obviously due to the air pollution and dust i breathe in on a daily basis here in HCMC!!

I have bought a cheap mask but i feel it doesn't really filter out much.

Any recommendations for places that sell decent masks?  :)

Hi,

I guess the one you use cost 2000-5000d only. They are just good to not be sunburn. I used it to travel someone and my face was covered with dust. You can go to buy high quality of those masks in shops in shops which sell health tools locate near Tu Du( Cong Quynh street) or Thanh thai- To Hien Thanh street. Over 100 000d/mask

Or you can buy this.
http://www.vatgia.com/pictures_fullsize/gsv1281580836.jpg

I use disposable surgical mask  :)
I have no problem yet.
Re-usable masks are some sort of burden -  need to wash and use.  :)
If you want to buy surgical mask go to Tran Hung Dao street, Q.1. So many wholesale surgical shops are in that street.
1 box (50 pcs) starting from 30.000 VND

Surgical masks are for protecting patients and others from bacteria shed in liquid droplets and aerosols from the wearer's mouth and nose and offer extremely minimal (if any) protection against environmental pollutants (far less than the reusable cloth masks most people here use).

When in heavy traffic areas/Saigon I personally use disposable N95 respirators such as this one (can be easily worn with full face helmet). In areas with much less traffic cloth mask or nothing.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61Jx9rrDJfL._SL1500_.jpg

Nam_ wrote:

Surgical masks are for protecting patients and others from bacteria shed in liquid droplets and aerosols from the wearer's mouth and nose and offer extremely minimal (if any) protection against environmental pollutants (far less than the reusable cloth masks most people here use).

When in heavy traffic areas/Saigon I personally use disposable N95 respirators such as this one (can be easily worn with full face helmet). In areas with much less traffic cloth mask or nothing.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6 … L1500_.jpg

Where can i find these disposable N95 respirators?
Thanks

A ho chi Minh city vos trouver sela a vivo mall city Dans le super marcher 1 er étage .à droit

A ho chi Minh city vos trouver sela a vivo mall city Dans le super marcher 1 er étage .à droit

I think you'll find you have a cold, still the mask is a good idea if you are here a long time...

What the name of the shops? Are they easy to find?

I must admit that I find it rather bizarre that people still live in these megacities, not just in Viet Nam but around the world.

This article claims that, for foreigners, it is the money:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/life/trend … 91760.html

Seems like you'd want to protect your health as your first priority and move to a smaller city. I hear Rach Gia is one of the best places to live in Viet Nam.

I can't believe people choose to live in cities where they must wear a mask. Unless it is a proper mask, it does nothing for you. 90 percent of masks worn do absolutely nothing.

I like to use cambridgemask or vogmask.

Both great technology and also look good.

Dan911 wrote:

I like to use cambridgemask or vogmask.

Both great technology and also look good.

yes there are good masks out there, never seen one that looks good while wearing it, maybe in a Star Wars movie.

A few points:

One of the most common causes of a nagging cough is post-nasal drip.

The most common trigger for that is dehydration.

When increasing fluid intake doesn't help,
a decongestant (NOT an antihistamine) will ease post-nasal drip by thinning the mucus secretions which are irritating the throat and causing the nagging cough.

Unfortunately, it seems to be impossible to buy stand-alone decongestants (phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine) in Vietnam.

Maybe someone can recommend an herbal tea with decongestant properties?

The downside to wearing ANY mask is that the moment you begin to wear it, the moisture in your breath begins to condense on the inside of the mask, creating an ideal environment for bacteria and fungi (i.e. MOLD) to grow.

If you only wear the mask during the time of greatest need (such as when on a motorbike with the wind in your face) and you regularly change masks (at least daily) you will minimize the risk of getting ill from any crud that grows inside the mask.

However, many people seem to live in their masks.

They will continue to wear the mask on a bus or in a restaurant or in the cinema; even in an air conditioned environment.

Having spent a significant part of my life breathing in the smog of Los Angeles, I would rarely if ever wear a mask.

Hydration, citrus fruits and a Vitamin C supplement are my first lines of defense against air pollution.

Antihistamine eye drops will permeate the entire nasal pharynx without causing the side effects common with oral antihistamines.

I'm very happy with the relief I get from using Eyemiru 40 EX antihistamine eyedrops fortified with Vitamins B6, A and E, available in Pharmacity stores and online

I'd probably wear goggles to protect my eyes before regularly wearing any mask.

Just my opinion.

The air is toxic and you need protection any time you are outside.

Type of mask/ respirator you need is: N95 or N100, P95 or P100 is used when there are oil droplets in the air along with particulates. 

There are various brands with different model numbers but they will show the rating N95, etc.
These will filter out particles up to 2.5  and 95% of all other particles, bacteria, virus, toxin, etc.

Just a suggestion but find a supplier of 3M products here and you can decide which model is best for you.  Ease of breathing, exhaling, comfort, smell and hours of use.

The more you pay isn't necessarily proof of better protection. There are many fashion and designer masks now that provide no better protection but will empty your pocket.

In Vietnam the particulates are very small and these are the most dangerous because the body cannot expel them. These are the ones that will kill you. Wearing a surgical mask is not protection from this pollution, nor is a mask of cloth.  Unfortunately many folks are unaware of the type of protection needed.

BTW a nagging cough could be irritation and it could be, or lead to, bronchitis, asthma and more.

Sorry surgical masks do not protect you.

That's the ticket.

The downside to wearing ANY mask is that the moment you begin to wear it, the moisture in your breath begins to condense on the inside of the mask, creating an ideal environment for bacteria and fungi (i.e. MOLD) to grow.

If you only wear the mask during the time of greatest need (such as when on a motorbike with the wind in your face) and you regularly change masks (at least daily) you will minimize the risk of getting ill from any crud that grows inside the mask.

yes, I very much agree.

I wear mask usually only if I drive on a bike. It is mostly asians, who wear shitty mask and they wear it 24/7, that is crazy and actually worst than having mo mask at all haha.

Throwing the mask into freezer from time to time helps to kill whatever wants to settle in there.

The Vietnamese women wear the masks mainly because of the sun and not because of air pollution.
Everything is done to prevent UV rays to protect the white skin. White skin is everything for Vietnamese women. Other external "unpleasantness" is of secondary importance when it comes to beauty perception.

The most used app besides Facebook and Zalo are the weather apps. My wife doesn't step outside the door until she has checked the UV values. She even wears a mask when driving a car and urges me to have a UV-resistant film applied to the windscreen.

I myself use the cheaper 3M 9001 mask (KN90) or the more expensive 3M 8822 (FFP2) mask under a fabric mask when I drive to central Saigon by motorbike (both can be ordered at Lazada).

There where I live I generally don't need a mask when nobody burning rice fields or garbage.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1_gGgYfqFGVvi6VYEv79JT3neHDbobfME

There are masks that allow you to exhale through a valve. Problem solved. Not sure I believe the exhaling into the mask will get you sick.

Yes, a mask will save you from pollution if you use the correct mask and use always when outside. Regarding healthcare, if you want to avoid using VN healthcare use a mask.

Please don't listen to people who don't understand something.

Rach Gia  ? Where does that come from? And don't be fooled pollution is everywhere in Vietnam.

roy little wrote:

There are masks that allow you to exhale through a valve. Problem solved. Not sure I believe the exhaling into the mask will get you sick.

Please experiment and get back to us