How to get divorce?

hello, my name is Marta . I am Australian who married man from Irbid in 2009 in Australia , he return to Irbid and without our divorce married again . its there any chance to get his new marriage contract to get divorce here ?

Hi Marta,

I'm sorry to hear that he is not loyal to you and that he married for the second time without divorce you first.
Is there any change that your husband will help you in this?

I don't know where you are now: still in Irbid or back in Australia.
If you are in Australia I advise you to go to the Jordan Embassy and ask what you need to divorce and how you can get the needed documents.
If you are still in Irbid you can go to the Council in Irbid, is there no Council then you have to go to Amman and go the ministry of Internal affairs and ask the marriage certificate of your husband and his second wife. You need to know her name and birthdate and maybe you have to tell them why you need this.
If this is not going to work then you are abele to start the divorce on your own. On the sticky thread " Great link for newbies" you find a useful link of all importance ministries of Jordan. Hopefully you can find the information you need.

Wish you all the best!

thank you darling, one thing i need is his cert, from his sec. marriage . thats all i need . i wish him all the best

Hello All  :cheers:

@marta1001 : Kindly note that a new thread has been created as from your post on the Irbid Forum so as to help you get better interactions.

Regards

Kenjee

Hi Marta,

I'm not sure exactly about the procedure but there are few things for you to know.
- In Jordan we have formal document called "Family Book". This document contains all the details of the household including all marriages for an individual. Did you register your marriage in Jordan and got the "Family Book" issued. If not, then probably you can start from there. This can be issued from the Civil Status in Irbid.

- Once you get this document you are on the right track where you have the details of his second marriage PLUS you have registered his marriage to you, if it was not done before which I expect to be the case.

From The Civil Status Department I guess you may be able to obtain copy of his second marriage certificate. It would be much easier to obtain if you have a court order to support your request.

If you are in Australia then I would recommend hiring a lawyer in Jordan to get this document for you.

On the other hand, and as a Jordanian honestly am not happy with what happened to you but also not happy with the idea you formed about Jordanians as people based on a personal experience. There are the good and the bad in every country.

It's really inappropriate to post on blogs general statement about Jordanian men being unworthy of being husbands. That's all I want to say and hope you get your divorce quickly and painlessly.

Lawyer in Jordan ? hahaha  got one , he take money and did nothing lol

The story is quite weird since the law that counts is the one of the country of marriage!

wird ? way? yes i married him in australia but he is now in jordan and he dont want sign any divorce papers

women can be devorced in in Islamic law, it is called "Khula", you can read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khula

Australian marriage,
Australian law, in my opinion!

i think your situation is easy, just let me know, how many year have you not seen him?

mohdq2002 wrote:

women can be devorced in in Islamic law, it is called "Khula", you can read about it here:

dont need it , i dont care about islamic divorce , i need him to sign autralian court papers, i just ask if its any chance to get his copy of new contract marriage so i can show in court here that he is already married second time thats all . i lost lots of money already and dont want pay extra 1000$ for divorce here !

ok, now i understand, he has got married 2 times.... ok, write me his full name, and I will try to get a paper certified that he is married.

Hi Marta

As you married your Jordanian husband over in Australia and not Jordan, then you should first report him to the Police. Under Australian Law it is against the Law to be married to more than one person at a time unlike in Jordan where men can take up to four wives I believe. You should contact your husband and tell him that as he was in Australia when you both married then the Jordanian rules on marriage do not apply and that he will be in a lot of trouble.  Forget Jordanian Lawyers as they are only going to rip you off and do nothing, It is the Australian authorities that you need to be dealing with. Good luck!

marta1001 wrote:
mohdq2002 wrote:

dont need it , i dont care about islamic divorce , i need him to sign autralian court papers, i just ask if its any chance to get his copy of new contract marriage so i can show in court here that he is already married second time thats all . i lost lots of money already and dont want pay extra 1000$ for divorce here !

To the ones saying that Marta should have a "Family book" from when she married her Jordanian husband, you all need to read her comments again, She has clearly stated that their marriage took place in Australia, so she would not have a family book as they are only issued if they had been married in Jordan. Also it is against the law in Australia for anyone to marry again without having a divorce first. Her husband has clearly broken the Law.  Marta you should be able to get your marriage naturally dissolved fast in this situation, You need to go to the marriage registry office in Australia and explain what has happened.

To the ones saying that Marta should have a "Family book" from when she married her Jordanian husband, you all need to read her comments again, She has clearly stated that their marriage took place in Australia, so she would not have a family book as they are only issued if they had been married in Jordan. Also it is against the law in Australia for anyone to marry again without having a divorce first. Her husband has clearly broken the Law.  Marta you should be able to get your marriage naturally dissolved fast in this situation, You need to go to the marriage registry office in Australia and explain what has happened.

this I have realized...I have already advised her to write me a private message with his name, to get his new marriage certificate and send it her... but till now nothing hear from marta

Hi Everybody
i am from Jordan i was married 2008 to English women  in the Irbed.   
i divorced long time but i didn't do divorce in the court she is in UK i can go to Jordan to make divorce in legal way but she can not go to Jordan so how can i make divorce without attendance her ? Is it possible to make it by my self?   Please who live in Jordan or any information about it give advice Thank you

Hello,
fly to jordan when you can, go to the Sharia court, devorce her there, then you have to publish her devorce in legal newspaper in Jordan, thats it....

i donr new if you must publish it in english... you have to ask there...

Thank you for your kind response
So Jordanian court will not require her to attend isn't it?

yes, this case called in Arabic "Talaq Eiabi" i think the best translation is "absence devorce, or "devorce in absence"

ladyluck13 wrote:
marta1001 wrote:
mohdq2002 wrote:

thank you ladyluck :} finally someone who understand me ! i know its eazy get divorce in jordan but in australia he need sign documents or i need show that he is married again in his country (maybe this will help as he dont want sign papers

Hello marta1001,

Have you actually spoken with a local lawyer about obtaining a divorce in Australia?

You can apply for an ex parte divorce in Australia, based solely upon a de facto separation that is at least 12 months in duration.

The only grounds for divorce in Australia essentially is the irreversible breakdown of the marriage, which should be quite easy to prove since your husband has left the country. You should have absolutely no need whatever to "prove" that your husband has re-married in his homeland.

You are going to need to retain a lawyer experienced in family law at any rate, so why are you wasting your time and effort seeking advice from members of a public forum who for the most part have no legal knowledge:

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

Hallo James,
Mara has contacted me, and her probl. will be solved soon...

Hello mohdq2002,

If you don't mind my asking, just how do you propose to "resolve" her problem? Are you a lawyer? Do you have any kind of special knowledge of Australian family law?

Australian law provides for Australian citizens, or anyone who has resided in Australia for 12 months prior to application, to apply for an ex parte divorce when the whereabouts of the other spouse are unknown or he/she has left the country.

Since the only grounds that Australia essentially accepts for divorce is the "irreversible breakdown of the marriage", which is evident by virtue of the fact that her spouse has left the country the fact that he has re-married in Jordan would be irrelevant to the procedure, she can proceed based solely on the 12 month de facto separation.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

James, I am not lawyer, she wanted a certificate to prove that he has 2 Women in the same time, this in Australian low even every where except Islamic states is prohibited. The certificate which she now needs will be soon sent.

James wrote:

Hello mohdq2002,

If you don't mind my asking, just how do you propose to "resolve" her problem? Are you a lawyer? Do you have any kind of special knowledge of Australian family law?

Australian law provides for Australian citizens, or anyone who has resided in Australia for 12 months prior to application, to apply for an ex parte divorce when the whereabouts of the other spouse are unknown or he/she has left the country.

Since the only grounds that Australia essentially accepts for divorce is the "irreversible breakdown of the marriage", which is evident by virtue of the fact that her spouse has left the country the fact that he has re-married in Jordan would be irrelevant to the procedure, she can proceed based solely on the 12 month de facto separation.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

No James, in Australia he still need sign divorce papers even after 10y of separation ! or its some special procedure wich will take loong time and a lots of money . unforunately i dont work at this moment so is luck of money too. show the cert, of his second marriage will be big plus , anyway he lie to his second wife too, she is romanian and she think he is divorced ( he show her some paper from jordanian lawyer) i found some lawyer too to help me but he just take money and go !

mohdq2002 wrote:

James, I am not lawyer, she wanted a certificate to prove that he has 2 Women in the same time, this in Australian low even every where except Islamic states is prohibited. The certificate which she now needs will be soon sent.

thank you to trying help me , unfortunatly your friend ask me about name of second wife name and really i don't know her full name so he can't help me .....

well James thank you for advise but ....here in Australia lawyer is very expensive things ! you can loose everything to lawyer :) i prefer do it my way . Btw . want also give my ex good lesson . that if i respect him and his culture i want same from him ! will be nice from him to say sorry and  do it all as should be with respect .I already lost a lots of money trying to help him stay in Au . and he don't even ask to pay some money back . As he is bustard i will do same for him .

hello Marta, i will try to talk whith him, and i will write you again...

Hello Marta, I have been in the same situation, but dealing with Canadian Court.
To have these papers from Jordan will really help you to give your ex a good lesson.
If you know his physical address in Jordan , then you can send him " a simple divorce" application from Court in your Country. If he did not sign them in 60 days then Court will divorce you. It doesn't cost too much if you are unemployed. You can consult any free lawyer in your Country.
As for  giving him a good lesson, you need a copy of his " Family book" or his marriage registry from Sharia Court in Jordan. Then you can claim his" Polygamy " and he would never enter Australia again.
Financially  it's hard to get anything if you didn't have any joint properties or joint accounts in Australia.
In my case I couldn't get anything from Jordan ( apartment, my money, my gold) because there are no such agreements between two countries.
I hope I'm not late with my advise.
Good luck

thank you for your advice , you not late  im still looking haw to do it , yes the family book will be perfect but ....no one  from Jordan will do it for me . I even have before lawyer but he just take money and laugh !