How to make friends in Austria

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Austria :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Austria??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Many people say that people from Austria are not-so-friendly. However, I must say that can't disagree more. I have seen friendly people almost wherever I've gone in Vienna.
The best place where you can meet people and make friends is a club/disco or whatever. Especially when it is a concert or something similar.

Welcome on Expat.com Christene,

I wish you a lot of success in your activities.

Would you mind adding a link to Expat.com on your website? (I suggest the Austria page: https://www.expat.com/en/destination/europe/austria/)

Thanks!

Would you add a link to Expat.com on your website? (https://www.expat.com/en/destination/europe/austria/)

You can promote your website on Expat.com, but we would really appreciate a link in return, thanks :)

Julien - Founder
https://www.expat.com

Hi people,

You guys are doing a great job.  I don't think you can compare making friends in Vienna to the rest of Austria.  Vienna is a very cosmopolitan metropolis and you can get buy with only speaking English just about everywhere you go in the city.  I guess that kinda goes for every "city" in Austria.  Innsbruck also has a lot of international flavour and lots of people to meet.  In a small town, however, it is completely different and if you are not 100% on the language or the local dialect..you could be SOL for a while.  For me, the easiest way to meet people is via the internet like this type of site, but also you can attend local events and see what you can do.  I am a people person, so I never really found it hard, but if you're pretty much introverted, you might have a longer time to feel like you fit in.

Anyway, that was my 2 cents.

Steve

If you would like to be more readilly accepted in Vienna than study her etiquette before you travel

I must disagree with the majority of people who say that the Vienesse are not friendly and open. I have never had a problem.

I think that if you like generally the same things as the culture even walking up to a viennese lady and asking her to dance is not difficult. Be Open, realistic and honest and you will find yourself with new friends before to long

EuropeWord wrote:

Many people say that people from Austria are not-so-friendly. However, I must say that can't disagree more. I have seen friendly people almost wherever I've gone in Vienna.
The best place where you can meet people and make friends is a club/disco or whatever. Especially when it is a concert or something similar.

Advice- Take it or Leave it -

Etiquette
should be studdied before or whilst living in Austria

This question should not exist if people in general paid more attention to the fundamentals of a culture

In every country it is easiest to get to know people at work, at university - if you don't work or study, take some course at Volkshochschule for example.

Very important is to be "out there". When I first moved here I had a few friends, but not many. I noticed that the trick was to take every chance to go out with them. If a friend ask if you wanted to go out for a drink/coffee/party and I felt a bit tired or so, I still did it because if you say no, you never know when the next chance will come.

i met some cool people in parties. finding language partners via internet is also a very nice way to make friends, isn't it mimie? :)

I have lived in Salzburg for nearly three years and I have found the people to be warm and welcoming.  I have worked hard on the language, joined clubs, every one going, have had manymeet ups with people from internet sites mainly expat forums. 

I know Christene who has posted earlier in the thread.  From other sites and she does a great job with her community.

Hi.  Thanks for your comments.  I agree that the Austrians are very friendly.  I have some lovely friends there.  I suppose I just need to organise regular trips home to see family.  My boys love Austria and would move there tomorrow.

You Don't Live Twice, Enjoy your life, love everyone and care for people who truly loves you......

I will be traveling to Modling with my son for one month.  We will be training at the schlager table tennis academy.  I don't want to stay in Schwechat, but rather in Modling and travel by either car or train to Schwechat.  what's it like in Modling?  I need to rent an apartment.  Can anyone give me any suggestions or tips or some help?

Thanks,

JT

Hallo

My name is EUNICE frm kenya,i speak english,swahili n german
am now living in austria and am looking for kind friends here in austria i hope to here frm u soon;)

am mahdy from egypt just arrived to live in vienna and work as a graphic designer for a while, and i would like to meet some new friends if somebody interested :)
i speak english,arabic and learning german now

hello how are you doing? am ese , male from nigeria i will be coming to Austria for studies, i would like to know you better

Hi! I'm Eleni and I'm from Greece! I live for several months in Vienna and I would like to make friends from Austria! :)

let us set up a meeting point in Linz and all gather there to know each other

hey,
i just moved here from ny... lookin to meet some chill out ppl

u are where? linz?

im in vienna

Hello,
I'm planning to go to Linz in September to start studying there and hope it's not that difficult to make friends there. I hope the people there are friendly and open to people from other cultures!

Hi, just saw you post! Where do you live in Vienna? :) im also new here :)

I live around the 16th d. Struggling to find work. Where you at!?

Hi, I just moved to vienna and would like to meet people and make friends.

i am not your freud wrote:

i met some cool people in parties. finding language partners via internet is also a very nice way to make friends, isn't it mimie? :)

I im from VietNam, I wana get friend in ustraylia. My English not good and I belive when I have many friend, I will growing up, hi

Many individuals declare that people by Luxembourg are usually not-so-friendly. Even so, I need to declare which are unable to disagree far more. I have observed friendly persons practically anywhere I have eliminated within Vienna.

Me too

@ mercynjuguna: A few words about yourself as an introduction would be most welcomed :)

Eunice - Hi! thats also my name too. I will be moving to Vienna in 6 weeks. Are you still there?

Hi Eunice, I am also Eunice. I will start living in Vienna in April. It will be great to meet.

hey,
i also would like to know ,new People from Austria
im 24 ,from morocco,im living near to vienne

Hi there I'm 28 years I am interested meet new friends...I'm have been working here in use since 2010

I I like you find good firends forom any nationality

I am charles, I will like to make some friends in austria. ..I am from Nigeria. ..living in innsbruck

Hi

Thats good

hi,

Hey I'm living near vienna too...nywa I'm lisa

Lisa, Welcome to Vienna and Austria

Regards

Simon