Coming to Panama, suggestions please

I know some of this has been covered in other posts, but I would still like to post about my own situation.  I will be coming to Panama for about 3 weeks with my wife.  We are traveling, with an eye towards possible places to live in a year or so.

We have mapped out stops in El Valle, Sta. Fe, Boquete and enivirons, and want to make a beach stop as well.  I am a Spanish speaker, and am accustomed to living overseas( currently in Asia).  My wife and I enjoy nature and quiet places, small towns. 

Neither of us is disposed towards big city life, nor do we require extravagant amenities, we are used to living as a middle class local would.

My questions are these--

1.  I have been looking for a place to visit on the Pacific, but all the coastal areas seem to offer rough seas, good for surfers but not for swimmer/snorkelers like us.  Does anyone have any suggestions for relatively calm water in a quiet area on the pacific.

2.  In researching Panama, it seems that there are a number of living options between David and Boquete. Could someone enumerate a bit on these.

3.  Besides the places I have listed, are there any suggestions for places to visit, or possibly to consider living in.

4.  A bit off topic--My wife is undergoing some dental treatment, that might not be totally finished before we get to Panama.  If she needs to see a dentist while in Panama, any recommendations?

Any info at all about worthwhile places I have not mentioned or good info on places I have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Pedasi, on the Azuero peninsula has several nice swimming beaches and Isla Iguana just a short boat ride from Playa Arenal has great snorkeling. Playa Arenal, Playa La Garita and even Playa Vanao, a great surfing beach is good for swimming. In addition there are other smaller beach for swimming between Chitre and Canas.

Hi Komatta,

Boquete has a good landscape and the place that goes more accordingly t what you describe, besides you can see there a lot of retirees and foreigners that have chosen to move to Panama in a fresh area, it is full of mountains and nature. If you want to snorkel you can go to Portobelo, and I recommend a visit to San Blas, beautiful islands in the Atlantic, you can research in google. For living I would recommend then Boquete if you want something fresh and peaceful, 6 hours driving from the city.

We have good medical care, you can try making an appointment in San Fernando or Punta Pacífica, it will depend on how complicated is the treatment.

If you decide to live in Panama there are also good options for your residency. Currently you can obtain a Permanent Residency, with Panamanian ID and even Work permit in approx. 3 months.

If you need any additional advice let me know.

Janice

As Mikkel said, there are some really nice places to swim/snorkel around Pedasi. I live in David and would recommend Boca Chica in this area, though I have never snorkeled there so don't know what there is to see. The Carribbean side has some wonderful snorkeling and in this small country, it's not that hard to visit from wherever you end up.

Going north from David, Los Algarrobas is the next town up and there is a lot of new housing being built. It's affordable and quieter than David but still close enough that it's easy to get in for work, shopping, etc. North of that, the next town is Dolega. It's a bit higher and cooler, has great views of the mountains, and is big enough to have a few convience stores and other options for daily needs. From what you said, this might be a place to consider. It's also not that far from David if you need something in town. Beyond that there is Potrerillos west of the main road, hardly a town, more rural living but really pretty area. There isn't much on the main road from there until you get to Alto Boquete which is just before the town of Boquete.

If you like cooler mountain living, you might visit Volcan. It's on the other side of the mountains from Boquete, really beautiful area, small town but big enough to have a supermarket, some stores, etc. It's not convenient for frequent trips to the beach though. If you do go that far, go a bit more and see Cerro Punta. It's my favorite mountain area and just seeing all the produce growing on the sides of the mountains is interesting.

I love our dentist in David. Dr Alfredo Spiegel, 775-2683  I heard he's leaving the area in September though.

I'm sure there are many other good places. I'm just more familiar with our area and love it here, so that's what I tend to talk about :)

Kris

Hello how are you doing? as I see that you speak Spanish, you speak in Spanish. When you come to Panama you will notice that there are many beautiful and peaceful places to live and what you can have your place and then visit the beach and do the things you love without having to go so far out of town.
There also crowned and surroundings being very nice ending to live projects.
when you come to Panama you will realize that you can live very quiet in the city very green areas where you can walk or do different types of exercises such as what is Clayton in the City of Knowledge (it is a really quiet area) and you will observe when you come).
With respect to the dentist there is also very good as for example in the Paitilla Dental Center is very good and very professional.
Panama is a beautiful experience.
Any event please do not hesitate to contact me. if you need to inquire into the legal aspect also not hesitate to contact me.
regards