Moving to Gambia

Hi, my husband, the kids and I are moving to Gambia in January 2013. I would appreciate any advice but please please try not to put us off by being negative. Thank you.

Have been travelling to Gambia for years and am married to a Gambian also. We have a young son and our aim is to move back there . Life is for living so go for it! I love the country and its a great place for kids. My only reservations are the health care (but a good insurance would be peace of mind) When we have stayed for a few months our son went to the Marina School, slightly more expensive that the others, but worth it all. We also had a tutor at home which cost us £2 for 4 hours!

Although life is hard for the majority over there they are all smiley and in the main pleasant. The quality of life outweighs it all, can be really happy and feel well over there.

Are you renting or buying? What district?

All the best anyways

Kind regards

Helen

Hi, thank you for the reply, we were there two weeks ago and really liked Shiloh International as my girls are 13 and 12. Did look at Marina but wasn't too keen on it. We are going to rent and would like somewhere near the beach preferably. We loved the place and would like to get to know some people after our move.

Hi,
My wife and I are building in Sukuta and hoping to move out in a few years. Love the people, love the climate. good luck to you all.

HEY I AM EBRIMA FROM THE GAMBIA SUKUTA I WILL LIKE TO MET YOU SOMEDAY AND BE YOUR FRIEND AND MAYBE SHOW YOU AROUND.HEAR FROM YOU

Hi hanzy1!

Could you please avoid posting in caps lock?

Thanks
Armand

Hope to see you soon over there.
Best greetings.
Peter

If you have commitments which take you to The Gambia then I understand your concern about negativity. It is, however, a perfectly valid piece of advice to suggest you think long and hard before making the move. My best general advice is that you ensure you have an escape plan in case things don't work out.

Since you have apparently decided to go then I would be deligted to offer advice, however, your question is so wide it is difficult to know what king of advice you need.

I'm thinking about moving to Gambia. Iv gone to you tube trying if I would see expats talking about living in Gambia There was very little. I was very surprised to see so little about living in Gambia .Honestly speaking Gambia wasn't my first choice  it was Thailand or Malaysia. If I have some questions I just need someone who I can probably contact so I can determine my finally decision. I want to live where the retirement would go very far. I'm 47 and I plan on retiring next year. I will be getting a pension of about 3000 a month. I'm not sure what kind on life style that can get me in Gambia

Asalamu alaikum,

There is a growing number of Muslims from the diaspora living out in the Gambia and even a community from the usa.
I take it that your retirement money is in dollars? What type of life are you looking for?
In my humble opinion that Is more than enough to live off!