Pensions in New Zealand

Hey Kiwi's
Here's a real situation that I'm hoping someone can shed a little light on about pensions.
I'm a Kiwi and my wife is Russian. We both hold NZ passports and are NZ citizens. My wife lived in NZ from 1997 until 2005 before we all moved to Australia.
My question is will my wife be eligible for a NZ pension given that we are about to move to another country.
I heard stories that's she would have had to have resided in NZ for more than 10 years, can someone confirm this for me.

Some might think that morally she's not entitled, but given she paid tax for 9 years of hard work pease respond with facts :)

http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/indivi … rview.html

Hi there,

Firstly 10 years is what you need to be eligible for the NZ pension. That inumber is a prerequisite, and the other is that you are either a NZ citizen or permanent resident.
The next big hurdle which resembles a type of witchunt carried out by the NZ Ministry of Social Affairs (MSD),and that is the deduction of any overseas pension either one of you may have,from NZS. If one has a state pension (very few countries have anything like the NZS), or is state administered, your NZS will then
be deducted by that amount regardless of it being a 100% annuity funded by you or your employer which is mostly the case.
If you choose to live permanently overseas there is a chance you may get NZS pro rated on the number of years you have lived in NZ.
The outlook is bleak for anyone like yourselves in terms of NZS and it maybe means you will join the 78,000 should be recipients of NZS whose Super has been deducted due to the above. The NZ Government lines its koffers with $250 m annually in what is rightfully the hard earned rewards of these senior citizens.
I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions please do not hesitate in asking.