The other side of the Dominican postcard

We had a bit overnight, but none today yet!
About 4" Wed.
Maybe 5!

Just started here in Puerto Plata again.

I am predicting an actual sunset later today....fingers crossed with waders on :D

Bob K

No kidding.  Tuesday I left where I am staying to walk to a nearby restaurant.  Tried to cross the street - water to my knees!!!!

Well, it's 1:45 here & just clouds!
So far?

Sun just popped out here.  Good for us as we have solar hot water and my shower this morning was a tad on the cool side.

Bob K

Bob, Is the solar hot water heating normally sufficient for showers etc? or do you have to keep an on-demand electric heater in reserve?  Just wondering as we are working on specifications for our house construction there.

Our solar hot water supplies ALL the hot water to the house (showers, laundry, washing). We turned off the electric backup years ago and never hooked up the gas hot water heater we have in the bomba room.  Cut our electric bill by at least 30%.  We can go 3 days with no sun before we run out of hot water.  This morning's shower was still hot but by tomorrow we would be taking cold showers.  Thanks to a bit of sun this afternoon we will be  fine.  We need about 2 hours of sun a day to keep the water scalding

Bob K

Hey Bob where did you get your solar panel/heating system set up from and who installed it for you? Do you only use the solar panels for heating or do you use it for some of your other electrical needs as well?  I was mentioning solar panels to my girlfriend to help charge the inversor at her home since electricity in her area is not available 24 Hours a day. Thanks.

Ours is hot water only but you can have a system that does it all.  Contact Dolfy Sosua Satellite at [email protected]

Bob K

It is a minor detail, but for me it is important to ALWAYS BRING  BLACK PEPPER with you when you come to the DR. The pepper sold in stores (at least in my experience) is ground far too fine and is essentially flavorless grey dust. (unless you consider stale to be a flavor). Restaurants do not put pepper on the table, and tend to look at you funny if you request it.

I suggest Butcher Block (coarse ground) pepper, such as is sold under the Badia brand. Of you could bring pepper corns and a grinder.  If you have a favorite hot sauce, consider bringing that as well. There is hot sauce, but it lacks flavor in my opinion. I also bring paprika because added to flour when you fry chicken, makes it brown better and adds flavor.

Actually we get peppercorns here no problem
Paprika... no problem
Hot sauce including Chululo.... no problem

Not sure where you are shopping?

Bob K

Yup its all available now.....

I guess I am pickier about pepper than some people. I know they have pepper and peppercorns, they are just noy peppery enough for me. It' s matter of taste, and I  not been shopping in SD  or Santiago.