Average salary and cost of living in malta

nicknamero wrote:

hello,
I would like an opinion. How is a 30k salary/year ( ~ 2000 Euro net/month ) for a family, 2 kids ( 3 and 5 years old ).
Only one working for few months ?  thanks

I would thnk that you would be fine, depending on your lifestyle of course.

Hi all,

I am thinking to relocate in Malta.
I have been there twice; the 2nd one was for exploring and living there not as a turist.
Well, I just fell in love with Malta!

I am working as a senior software engineer, since some months having the role of project manager, and I have a M. Sc. in computer science engineering.

I would like to know if there are any possibilities to get a job there and what is the average salary, since some contacts offered round about 24.000 pre-taxes, but it looks a very low salary (though life cost is very cheap there).

Can anybody please help me?
Thanks a lot!

Hi Alex,

if you qualifications and experience in IT are what you state you should be able to ask for a much higher salary even in low wage Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi all bloggers,

We live in York and want to sell up and move to Malta asap. We are 47 and 45 and our house, no mortgage, is worth about 250,000 euros when we sell it.

Would it be a good idea to initially rent if we upped sticks( along with the bloody cat ! ) before buying an apartment for around 100,000 Euro's and getting ourselves some work. I am a registered social worker and have worked with disadvantaged kids/adults and my better half is a manager of an Elderly peoples home. However, we are happy to work at almost anything as we would have money from our house sale to help us. We know Malta really well as have holidayed there on numerous occasions and want to make the move. Any suggestions on how to proceed ???

Many  thanks

renting a great idea , 1. you can see what an areas like before committing. 2, if you decide maltas not for you better to be renting then having to sell
best thing to do i come out stay in hotel look for possible rental home and then move in

Thanks Rob, your advice seems the best bet, would 100,000 Euros ish get you a nice  apartment in the North , kitchen , bathroom etc and are the prices negotiable ?

Thanks

To echo Rob (again!  ;) ) - renting is the generally accepted advice given on the forum (see numerous other posts on the topic).

My Mum in Law bought around 15 years ago and the property (although v nice) is worth a lot less now than what she paid (there was/is a minimum spend for ex pats I understand).

Thanks again, not too concerned about the potential loss of equity to be honest as will own the property but interesting to read the bloggers' comments re renting, seems the done thing !

you can get property in the 100,000 euro mark and for less .. i have seen them for about 60,000 if you want to do work on them but i dont know what you need to do in terms of buying . (what fees etc).
https://www.gov.mt/en/Life%20Events/Ren … Malta.aspx

this is from the gov website but be careful because they tend to not update these sites veryoften and so best asking other people / estate agents for more information
people always recommend negotiating , often better to go direct to owners then to use an agent as your less likely to have to pay finding fees (this applies to both renting and buying)

Renting is incredibly popular over here, i think because rent are cheap but also because of the lifestyle

i think one of the biggest issues of owning a property is when it comes to sell the place there are a lot of regulations and procedures that need to be followed

Would reiterate the whole renting thing, nothing worse than moving to a country which you love on holiday, to find you hate actually living there as it's a whole different ball game ..... Trust me, been there .. Done that !

Again, thanks Rob will look into all advice given asap.

Carl

Hi..
I wonder if you could inform me about the basic salary for medical laboratory assistant and if there are vacancies for this job... please help me :)
Thank you..

Will try here as many more seem to visit this section :)

I recently got shortlisted for one of the gaming positions in Malta and we are thinking about moving if everything goes well. We are a family of four with two boys aged 3 and 6. We do not have high expectations or anything similar - we only want to live a normal life. The job is paying me approximately 1500 per month and on top of that I will be receiving about 500 in misc income for the first period. So we can calculate with around 2000. We are planning to get a small apartment for a maximum of 500 and I guess utility bills would add up to 100 with everything included.

Now to the question, is 1400 per month OK to live on for a family of 4? We are talking about food, insurance, everyday necessities and so on. The kids would go in state schools, not private.

Edit: My wife will start working as soon as everything is sorted, so this is only for a shorter period of time hopefully.

1400 net per month is ok, if you cook at home :)

We were living first year in the same situation, not a big problem, actually.

Spiridonov wrote:

Sounds nice, thanks. We just got to know that the company I will join will cover full health care for both me and my family so that is 100 or so less each month. We are definitely going to cook and so on. Will fly to Malta next week, really nervous as I have never been there yet and got 1 week to sort everything out :)

Rawbiz wrote:
Spiridonov wrote:

Sounds nice, thanks. We just got to know that the company I will join will cover full health care for both me and my family so that is 100 or so less each month. We are definitely going to cook and so on. Will fly to Malta next week, really nervous as I have never been there yet and got 1 week to sort everything out :)

Good luck and hope it all works out for you

Hi,
Possibility of a job on gross basic of €13,500, with chance to earn extra €1600 pa. I'm a single mum and whilst I would struggle to live in UK on that salary with car and house etc can anyone tell me how this would compare in Malta?!

I'm a single mum from wales :) two kids and I am renting and running a car on that salary. I am doing a few extras here and there ( I paint and give private lessons now and then) to keep things comfy but in general it's not too tough. It depends on your lifestyle though. I don't go out or eat in restaurants.

Hi wa1es,

it is less than the Maltese average income. You will have to deduct National Insurance contributions  The first 9800 are tax-free as a single parent , the rest taxable at 15 %. Don't count on any payments that are by 'chance'.

Without even thinking about a car or a house , the struggle could be a little less than in the UK but ....

Does the company offering the job happen to be Besedo?

What kind of work are you looking for?

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Lee,
Thanks! I have to manage my finances here very carefully anyway but as I won't have family and friends around I'm worried I could be paying for child are and doing things with the little one to keep her amused and happy! I think another € 200 a month and I would be fine. Don't want to be worrying about money as its a big  decision as it is. How long have you been there? Missing the green grass of home? 😉

Thanks Ricky!
No the job is with centrecom. I'm a qualified language teacher but most of my experience is in things like special needs & disaffected young people.  I think a couple hundred quid more and I'd be ok. Trying to find out how much they eant for the shared apartment. Not sure if I'd need a car either!  :)

Centrecom is a  call-centre and business process outsourcing company located next to the airport in Luqa so you can probably benefit from cheaper accomodation near there although that would put you far away from English language schools if you wanted to top up your income as a teacher.

The airport is quite well connected by the X buses to many destinations around Malta direct although travelling time can be a problem depending on the working hours.

As Lee confirmed it is possible to live on that salary but a couple of hundred Euro's more would be better.

Cheers
Ricky

You would also get children's allowance, which will be around 200 euro every 3 months. (The maximum is 266 but I think the cut off is around 12,000 per year before the amount is reduced.)
I personally think you'll be fine on that income...It doesn't cost more than a few sandwiches to entertain your child at the beach for 4-5 months out of the year!!

Hi wa1es, my landlady, who is also a very kind friend,is a manager at an English Language Academy. I'll PM you.

Hello, is there anyone from Malta who can help me to describe about Malta. I need few information which is very urgent for me regarding Malta.
I came to know Malta minimum wage of per hour € 3-4. Also monthly minimum wage €665. But my question is, I am student so I have to work per time basis. Obviously I will get €330. But is it possible to manage my monthly expenditure in Malta. If I stay single in Malta, on average how much I have to spend in a month.
Then is it possible to get job in Malta? What kind of job available there? Please let me know if there are any other problems in Malta. Because I am thinking to go Malta as a student. If the real Maltees people read my massage please you can also contact me by email.

My email address below
[email protected].

Obaid.

Hi Obaid,

there is one major problem in your line of reasoning.

As a non-EU student you are not allowed to work in Malta , not even part-time, at least during your first study year.Apart from that it is not possible to live in Malta with 330 €.

Apart from that it is not easy to find a job , especially a part-time job that would allow you to concentrate on studying.

Check the university website for financial information about studying in Malta. The daily amount quoted there is around 45 €.

Cheers
Ricky

not allowed to is one thing  - but many still do

am not condoning it but we all know this happens

Thanks Ricky for your concern. It's really helpful to me. But university told me that in my visa there will written 20 hours work permit per week and holiday full time.
If you tell me job availability in Malta it would be better for me.
If you tell me more about Malta I will be grateful to you.
Obaid.

Ricky and toon are right for the first year of study your not allowed to work even part-time
the university recommends that you have at least
"At the time of first arrival, students should be in possession of a return air ticket to their country of origin, or its value in cash/bank draft, together with a bank statement indicating that they have sufficient funds to cover at least one year's tuition fees plus approximately 48 euro per day (17,520 euro/ 1 year), which is calculated to be sufficient for one academic year's accommodation and living expenses."

why malta? it seems you don't know anything about the island  , job availability varies depending on the season , but your not going to find it easy ,

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/687b6d2140610f9ea6551a181767c2d5.jpeg

redmik wrote:

[img align=L]http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/687b6d2140610f9ea6551a181767c2d5.jpeg[/url]

http://s15.postimg.org/9wibu807f/f5gs4.jpg
free image host
we can all use captain picard to say things .. its nothing special .. i really dont see why you need to be so rude .. i haven't said anything different to what you said , i just used information from the uni website to back it up and to ask them why they want to come to malta ..

Hi Obaid,

a work permit for non EU citizens is always connected to a specific job offer and subject to European work market conditions amongst other conditions.

If the University says that you will get a work permit then the University must have a job for you ! You should contact the University about job and salary and send them your cv.

Cheers
Ricky

robpw2 wrote:

we can all use captain picard to say things .. its nothing special .. i really dont see why you need to be so rude .. i haven't said anything different to what you said , i just used information from the uni website to back it up and to ask them why they want to come to malta ..

How quick you are to incorrectly assume that was for you.
It wasn't.

Others will know that we have had many similar requests like this and when responded to with information the person does not accept the information.
They know nothing of Malta yet refuse to accept that as TCNs, with no 'sponsorship' or work guaranteed they will not be able to work or study and work.
Some also expect free education etc.
Some are actually 'toying' with others on this forum, they play a game.

Not everything is about you.

my apoligies redmik i got the wrong end of the stick and im sorry i jumpoed to conclusions

Hi rob,

I'm sure your apologies will be accepted -)))

It can be difficult to follow a specific thread especially when experiences with certain topics ( footballer jobs, bypassing work permits  with study visas and so on ) come into play.

Maybe we should all get together and have a few beers together after Christmas !

What do you think rob and redmik and other regular posters?

Cheers
Ricky

love to but the bus doesnt pass my doorstep now LOL

Toon wrote:

love to but the bus doesnt pass my doorstep now LOL

knowing the number of times the 85 has gone the wrong way  it wouldn't surprise me if it did lol :)

Hi,

My company is considering to relocate me to Malta. I am a third country national so I understand that the Company will need to get the work permit. I would be thankful if anyone can respond to my following queries:

1) What is a good place to live in Malta.
Please note that we are family of 4 (me, my wife and two kids - one is 7 years old and the other is 2 years old) and the kids will preferably go to private English medium school. Our office building is in Zebbug on Mdina Road. My budget could be around 1,000 per month though I haven't got any information yet from the company about the package.

2) What is the range of monthly school fee in private schools for Primary level students

3) How long it generally takes to get the work permit? Would it be possible to get my work permit and the residence permit of my family at same time?

Best regards,
Noor

No apologies necessary and yes I would value such a get together but of course, if an evening 'do', for me, it would require an overnight stay on Malta. A day time would not but I know that others lead a different lifestyle and have to work.
We are going to go 'off topic' if we discuss that on here so I suggest we arrange etc via PM. This thread is branching out over the place.
Now we have another 'best place to live' request etc.
Ciao  :)

TCN Expat, I suggest that you read existing postings regarding your questions.
There are many that will start to answer your questions.
Best place? As usual - that will depend upon your needs, lifestyle and expectations.
I would, for you, imagine - Zeebug. (Nice place)
Oh and if your budget is a total of 1000 per month for everything, you are going to find it very difficult, nay, impossible to afford rent, schooling, utilities costs and food on that.