South Africa to New Zealand

I am an ex captain in the SA Police.3 Year National Diploma-Pol Admin.Have an A-grade security status in SA.Have also been employed in the Insurance and Property industries.My wife is currently still in the Police.I would like to know what are my chances are to get work in New Zealand in any of the following industries...Police,Prison Dept,Security etc.My family and I have been victims of crime on numerous occasions.

Marky-tup wrote:

I am an ex captain in the SA Police.3 Year National Diploma-Pol Admin.Have an A-grade security status in SA.Have also been employed in the Insurance and Property industries.My wife is currently still in the Police.I would like to know what are my chances are to get work in New Zealand in any of the following industries...Police,Prison Dept,Security etc.My family and I have been victims of crime on numerous occasions.

Welcome to Expat.com.
Your experience may well get you a job. You need to check out whether this is on the skilled migration list which means you have a better chance of getting a job in NZ for both of you.
Check out this website www.immigration.govt.nz for visa information and applications.

I also suggest you do a Google search for SA communities in NZ and contact them for information too.
A Google search for potential work in your field of expertise should give you an idea of what is on offer.

For cost of living try www.numbeo.com or again a Google search.

Good luck.

Hie Artaz,i wanna find out how long it took you to finalise your preps to go there and the total amount of money you were required to bring there? i will appreciate your response in this regard

"My name is Pamela and I have been living in New Zealand for 3 years. Like you I left because of the crime and I was a victim of hijacking. My family now live in Australia and I decided to settle in New Zealand. All was going well until I landed this job and from the moment I walked in I was made to feel different. Eventually after a lot of bullying, I had enough and complained to the HR manager. Because I was an outsider and they are a close group, I was accused of being a racist.

Why do they feel that because we are from SA we are all racists. I am an indian SA and in a relationship with  a New Zealander. How do we rid ourselves of this stigma....."

Well we can't because of the closed mindedness that the Kiwis have.  The vast majority of them think of apartheid, racism, crime and arrogance (or what is normally known as confidence in the rest of the world)  when they here South African.  They also get threatened very easily if you are a good performer at work.  After 10 years in New Zealand the attitude to foreigners has gone from bad to worse and no matter if you have better qualifications or the exact skill set for a given job, they will find a way to discount you.  I have allot of friends here from all walks of life, mostly foreign and the experience is almost carbon copy.  So don't feel alone.  There really are far better countries to gel into, regardless of what kiwis may think.  Let's be honest, they are very isolated from the rest of the world and you can tell that by there knowledge of other cultures in the world, even the news is.....well....thin and mostly uninformative of the rest of the world as a whole.

HI BlueHusky > you quoted a very old post [2011] and the topic here is on formalities to settle in New Zealand.

Thank you.

Christine wrote:

HI BlueHusky > you quoted a very old post [2011] and the topic here is on formalities to settle in New Zealand.

Thank you.

It's now a very current experienced answer to an old question/post.

Hello there! Did you take any of your pets over to NZ? What type of costs are involved?
Any tips?
Thanks!
Vee

Hi Artaz,

I have been in New Zealand since April 1988, and would not go back to SA to live. On arrival in NZ it was not always easy, trying to settle in, but it always take some time. Feel this is my adopted country, would not return to The Netherlands. 

People have been very welcoming, and only once I have been told to back where I came from. One has to have a sense of humour. The winters are generally wet and mild, don't like the rain. Closer to my retirement might move to Brisbane, just thinking about that for now.

Have been back many times to SA, the last time was in 1996. What I do miss is the climate of Johannesburg. From my friends that still live there, also hear about crime, hijackings, burglaries, corruption, like living in a prison, with all the high fences, and very often electrified.

Originally came from The Netherlands. Immigrated in 1981 to South Africa. At that time it was a different place. Stayed with my uncle and aunt, they had arrived 11 years earlier. The unemployment was 11 %, and for SA very low indeed. Crime did exist but not what it now.  Although I was unskilled it took me only 3 days to find a job.

The economy was growing a very high pace. Inflation was a bit of a worry. We did get pay increases, but every year, the standard of living dropped. Did have a property I owned, but in 1985, got burgled 4 times.

The insurance company paid out, but the 4th time they cancelled my policy. Was forced to sell the house, because I could not find an insure company that would insure me.

From that time I rented an apartment in Alberton, where I also worked.  Managed to stick it out until 1987, and I returned to The Netherlands, and from there immigrated to New Zealand.

Hope you continue to like your stay in New Zealand.

Hey everyone. We are both qualified in trades. Hubby is a qualified electrician, with more than 10years experience. He is an electrical foreman, and is in line for another promotion at the end of this month. I am a qualified hairdresser and Beauty therapist. With 10 years experience. I am at the moment self employed.

We are looking at making the big move to New Zealand. Our little ones are 2 and 3 years old, we are not negative people, but we are realistic. We don't see a future in South Africa for our children, should we stay and they study one day the chances are good that they will want to work abroad... And we will still be here.

We would love to relocate to somewhere like Nelson/ Tasman ... Or Wellington. Somewhere not too rushed where we will have time for each other and natural surroundings to enjoy over a wknd.

We have been looking at our options and the way things look now the steps to follow would be the following: expression of interest ($510) so far our points are about 125... That's without a IELTS test, or a job offer. Should hubby get a job offer obviously the points would be a lot more. Then should they invite us to apply the best option to us seems to be 'skilled migrant working visa' ($2400) ...

Ok so we not planning on shipping our stuff to New Zealand, seems like a waste. We are in the process of putting our house in the market, as we will be using those funds for our applications, airfare, and then to get started up in N.Z.

So things are at a stand still for the time being. So what I would like to know is the following:

How did you manage to secure a job offer from SA?

How much did your whole move cost?

Did you do everything on your own, or use an agent?

( I have spoken to Andrew Kerr, from network migration, he told me should we do everything on our own we looking at about R30 000 thru an agent about double R60 000)

I am particularly nervous about work prospects for us, although hubby is quite positive.

I would appreciate any feedback... Even if its on something I haven't included is my essay post ;)

Regards

Trishka

Trishka wrote:

Hey everyone. We are both qualified in trades. Hubby is a qualified electrician, with more than 10years experience. He is an electrical foreman, and is in line for another promotion at the end of this month. I am a qualified hairdresser and Beauty therapist. With 10 years experience. I am at the moment self employed.

We are looking at making the big move to New Zealand. Our little ones are 2 and 3 years old, we are not negative people, but we are realistic. We don't see a future in South Africa for our children, should we stay and they study one day the chances are good that they will want to work abroad... And we will still be here.

We would love to relocate to somewhere like Nelson/ Tasman ... Or Wellington. Somewhere not too rushed where we will have time for each other and natural surroundings to enjoy over a wknd.

We have been looking at our options and the way things look now the steps to follow would be the following: expression of interest ($510) so far our points are about 125... That's without a IELTS test, or a job offer. Should hubby get a job offer obviously the points would be a lot more. Then should they invite us to apply the best option to us seems to be 'skilled migrant working visa' ($2400) ...

Ok so we not planning on shipping our stuff to New Zealand, seems like a waste. We are in the process of putting our house in the market, as we will be using those funds for our applications, airfare, and then to get started up in N.Z.

So things are at a stand still for the time being. So what I would like to know is the following:

How did you manage to secure a job offer from SA?

How much did your whole move cost?

Did you do everything on your own, or use an agent?

( I have spoken to Andrew Kerr, from network migration, he told me should we do everything on our own we looking at about R30 000 thru an agent about double R60 000)

I am particularly nervous about work prospects for us, although hubby is quite positive.

I would appreciate any feedback... Even if its on something I haven't included is my essay post ;)

Regards

Trishka

Welcome to the forum.... :) 

I suggest you read through the posts in the forum categories list on the right hand side of this page for information.
For jobs try www.seek.co.nz 

For cost of living www.numbeo.com 

Try this site for Saffers in NZ  www.southafricans.co.nz   There is also a Facebook page too.

Hi Everybody,
Im 58 years old, female,  and very fit. I walk about 30-40 km per week. My hobbies.......hiking of course and I love travelling, one overseas trip per year. Im also a amateur photographer.

I am up for a new beginning in a safe place.. My husband passed away 4 months ago. My three children is married and I have two grandchildren.

My back round is sales and management.  I worked as a saleslady in a jewelery chain store and was promoted to manager after less than a year. I then start a franchise business in education. I have 35 franchise offices, which my daughter will take over. see hpm.co.za.  I am 27 years in this business.

Im looking for a job, and a place to stay.  Im not going to sell my property in SA as yet, as I want to make sure it is my second last move.  Last one to eternity.

Regards.

Ina

Hi All,

I was wondering if I could get some insight into the cost of moving to New Zealand.

My fiancé and I are trying to sort out all our things for our eventual move. We love South Africa as a country but can not continue to live with the out of control crime, the poor service delivery and the pure lack of commitment and interest of the Government, never mind the underlying hatred that is conveniently swept under the carpet.

We are in the process of applying for our visas and selling up all our "non essentials".

What sort of cost are we looking at for:
Shipping of furniture from Johannesburg to Auckland.
Initial rent for a 2 bedroom apartment (average cost - city and rural)
Cost of a decent second hand car (2-3years old)
Monthly living expenses (fuel, food, electricity, water, for 2 people)

Which websites are good for finding cars and for property to rent.
How easy is it to open up a bank account and to get finance for a car if needed.
How good is public transport.

How does lifestyle in NZ compare to SA. Is the weather as bad as everyone makes out (not that the weather is a deciding factor of a better life) Are restaurants expensive (in relative terms) My fiancé is very much into her running and we both love the outdoors - boating is a big part of our lifestyle too.

What are the things we should be most aware of and to look out for in our planning?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tye.

Tye83 wrote:

Hi All,

I was wondering if I could get some insight into the cost of moving to New Zealand.

My fiancé and I are trying to sort out all our things for our eventual move. We love South Africa as a country but can not continue to live with the out of control crime, the poor service delivery and the pure lack of commitment and interest of the Government, never mind the underlying hatred that is conveniently swept under the carpet.

We are in the process of applying for our visas and selling up all our "non essentials".

What sort of cost are we looking at for:
Shipping of furniture from Johannesburg to Auckland.
Initial rent for a 2 bedroom apartment (average cost - city and rural)
Cost of a decent second hand car (2-3years old)
Monthly living expenses (fuel, food, electricity, water, for 2 people)

Which websites are good for finding cars and for property to rent.
How easy is it to open up a bank account and to get finance for a car if needed.
How good is public transport.

How does lifestyle in NZ compare to SA. Is the weather as bad as everyone makes out (not that the weather is a deciding factor of a better life) Are restaurants expensive (in relative terms) My fiancé is very much into her running and we both love the outdoors - boating is a big part of our lifestyle too.

What are the things we should be most aware of and to look out for in our planning?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tye.

Welcome to the forum.   :)

For information please read through the posts listed in the forum categories list, upper right hand side of this page. If you have some  specific questions after reading through the posts then please post them here.

Hi there,

We were thinking about using net migration which is asking R50 000. They are claimig to provide visas for the entire family as well as finding employment for my husband and I. We're from SA and wanting to relocate to NZ, for similar reasons to your's. Glad i came across your comment!

I'll try the link you sent me and hopefully we will get sorted. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Have a lovely day further :)

Hi, I am in South Africa busy planning our move to NZ, I was wondering if you could give me some information about how the school transfer process works. My daughter is in primary school and will need to be enrolled when we arrive. What are the requirements? What do I need, if anything, from her school here? Any info would be helpful. Thanks

I'm a South African looking for Employment in New Zealand. I'm extensively experienced and in a number of positions, And are looking for someone to give me an opportunity to prove myself in order to attain an permanent position within a organization.  As proof of my dedication and commitment i am willing to work for free for the first month (or two if required)  in order to proof my ability's in all round business structures.

If anyone is in a position to assist me, you can contact me on xxx I do have a cv with all relevant documentation & qualifications available.

Regards & Best to your Families

Robert Venter

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. Drop an advert in the Jobs in New Zealand section.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

NZ doesn't permit working with no work visa & that is critical & one can't get a work visa unless a job offer. One can only do volunteer work if one has residency & police clearance to my knowledge. Join SaffaZealanders FB group to get input & recommendations. Best wishes.

Hi Tye,

Just saw your post there inquiring about moving to New Zealand, which is a great idea :) Life style here is much more relaxing and it is a comparatively safe country to live in.

I noticed your post in from 2015 and so wonder if you have already settled down in NZ yet?

Kind Regards,

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : no freea ads plese + register in the business directory

hi

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for getting in touch.  We are already using a licencesed immigration's consultant. But thank you for the offer.  We are now just looking for the job. Which has proved to be difficult as we are still in SA. 

Best Wishes
Stacey

Hi,

Thank you Sarah, would it be possible to contact your partner? As we have tried a few recruiters and they have all said "When you are here, contact us", we are still in SA so it is difficult to connect.

Thanks for all your advise, really appreciate it!

Kind Regards
Stacey

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : no free ads please + register in the business directory

I am also living in SA and would like to move to New Zealand. I am a Zimbabwean citizen residing in SA due to economic and political issues. I have received an offer to study for bachelor in aviation management by Massey university in New Zealand starting Feb 2017. I can not meet the cost of NZD 30000 per year. The starting date is approaching soon and i am failing to get a scholarship. I have applied to many  organizations and individuals for scholarship without success. I am prepared to work to supplement the costs of these studies. Please kindly advise of any organization or individuals who will be willing to sponsor my studies. If you need to follow up with the university, the student number assigned to me is 16379999. I kindly ask anyone who is reading this letter and knows how i get a sponsor for the studies starting in Feb to be blessed and contact me so that i can apply for the student visa

Hi there.
This is exactly what I needed to hear.
Would you have any pointers for us just starting?
We have been reading up that hubby needs to register with ewrb to get a practicing or limited/provisional electrical licence but we're warned it takes 8 weeks without delays.  We wouldn't have a clue what to do from there. Should hubby hop on a plane and go cold calling on businesses or use an employment website? Problem is I've read that overseas electricians with limited licences aren't offered anything, even if they're onshore. So then it's all that time and money and still no job.

Please let us know how you managed to do it?

Thanks

Hi There

I have been applying for jobs online and all I get is we regret to inform you. The problem is I am not getting a job and I need one to immigrate to New Zeeland. Is there a company that can assist South Africans that wants to relocate to New Zeeland that  will look at South African's cv's
It is almost a catch 22 you need a job but you need a visa but for the visa you need a job.

There is a need for food technologists here in NZ. However,  it's mostly advantageous if you are here to go for interviews and approach larger agencies

Hi
The important thing is if you are really motivated to emigrate.  Sometimes it's good to make a little sacrifice.  If your hubby has a good vocation,  then he can establish himself and after a while look at relocating.
Having said that, I found Gisborne,  Napier and the other coastal towns absolutely beautiful,  and , there are plenty of shopping centres there. Over the past couple of years, that region has seen some good growth and development, due to many Aucklanders relocating because the property prices are, putting it bluntly, ridiculous.
If you love coastal regions, and you are able to adjust and embrace, it is a great place to be. Oh and I found people to be much more friendlier than the larger metro cities.
Hope this helps