Planning to move to Milan

Hello all. My name is Vance Hill. I currently reside in beautiful Kirkland, WA. A suburb of Seattle. I have 2 young boys and I want nothing more than for them to play and train soccer in Italy. The good thing is, my wife can transfer to her Milan office. We are planning on moving in 2 years.  Any advice on areas to avoid? I know living in central Milan would be like living in New York so we are open to the surrounding areas of Milan. Should we expect to buy a car? Should I teach English? So many questions but still plenty of time. Thanks so much!

Hi Vance Hill,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

In order to give much more importance to your questions here, please note that i have created a new thread with them on the Milan forum.

While waiting for the members' testimonies, i will advise you to go through the topics available on the different forum categories, you may find some interesting information.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hello Mr.vance Im Fernando living in Naples Italy.Im a Sri Lankan 30 years old that lives here with my wife and daughter.Milan is the best city in italy and there is nothing to be afraid of anything.I have heard that Mr.Bill Gates also has been in your area and one most singers has died too in your area...Kurt Cobain bye

Vance, relocationg is always a big issue...I gave a little support to a fiend of mine moving from Detroit to Milan 1yr ago, and I could see how many aspects and little/big problems you have to face..    can send you some tips on areas where to live, avg prices, and some info on jobs, teaching etc...I can also try to send you some maps..but here 's not possible to attach anything...you can drop me a line on [email protected], in case you may need them...

Is there any person who is living in Milan, from many years, and can tell me ...if a woman come to Milan, Italy on study visa ...how can she get a job....? which type of job could be available for women.....? what type of job she should do...?....pls reply me as soon as possible.....it is very important ....because we two women are coming in next two months to Milan, Italy.
Regards
Mrs Saleem

Hello Vance!

First things first, in Europe there is no such thing as soccer... here it is Football!  :D

Milan is the most international city in Italy.
Until you are familiar with the city and its different areas, avoid anything east 9f the centre.
Best residential areas are west, near the stadium and the racecourse is quite a prestigious area with luxury apartments too.

Further west is another residential area known as Uruguay/Bonola. A little less exclusive but one of the prettiest areas in my opinion. It is quiet yet served by all public transport to the centre, easy access to highway and with shopping centres.

Cheers!
I will cheer for your boys hoping they will get Inter players :)