Buying property in Ethiopia

Hi,

can a foreigner buy property in Ethiopia?

If so, is it complicated? What is the process of purchasing a property in Ethiopia?

Any tips for buying property, such as a check-list of items to verify ?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Christine

Foreigner cannot buy property in Ethiopia.

It's not so cut and dry. Under normal circumstances a foreigner is not permitted to buy land. If a foreigner is an investor they may own property in the name of the company. All investors have rights to residency under the law and therefore can buy and lease property. Property may also be granted by the government depending on the business' needs. However in order to become an investor they must show capital of at least $100,000US with a bank statement. Land may also be gifted to a foreigner but no title (cart and plan) may be issued

Hi Fatou200!

Thanks for your help!
What can be done to own a property there?

Regards
Armand

Why do you want to buy Property in Ethiopia ?

Even if you can there are many reasons not to

.. Prices are very High even by international standards ?

.. quaility of build is generally poor and apartments can have serious problems on upper floors with toilets/water etc

.. Poor security of tenure ..all land is leased and after 99 years the government can tell you to clear the land ..
(There were some permanent posessions but that is in process of being abolished)

..public facilities such as sewage and water are poor ..

.. If government take land you are compensated poorly not at market price.

..  IF you bring foreign currency into buy it is difficult to sell and convert back to foreign currency ..

..currently very poor medical failities are available in the country

The only financial thing that makes sense is if you rent property to Foreigners ..(a lot of aid money goes into supporting  prices of high end property in addis ababa....morally questionable ? )

I would hold off buying here until proper land tenure is established ..if ever ..

I write as someone who would have liked to buy but too many complications.

Thanks for your contribution Ed_addis!

Harmonie.:)

I fully agree with Ed_addis

Even this post is old,

the question is what means foreigner, if he / she is a natural Person, a simple no, if he / she will act as a Investor, creating a local registrated Company and using a legal personalety such as a PLC it is possible, but often depending on the Business field.

Thank you for this information. I have been trying to figure out where to buy. I have a few friends in Addis and would not mind having a property to live in when I visit.
This makes me reconsider until I find an alternative.