I'm 19 and moving there in June!

Hello everyone! I'm 19 years old from UK, and I've never been to a third world country before. I'm going alone and will just be enjoying life and travelling to wherever I want to go, for now within Cambodia - I have no plans, and don't plan on making any.

I'm younger than most who travel as far as Cambodia from the West and some may say naive, but I've researched a lot and am quite sure I'll really enjoy it there. I hope to meet lots of new people, probably some of whom may be reading this right now, and experience all the culture, beauty and excitement Cambodia and Southeast Asia has to offer!

I have only a simple plan for now that I'm sure will develop over time as I grow as an individual. Once I land (in Phnom Penh) I'll be staying in a guesthouse for two or three nights, until I decide where I want to explore (Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, Koh Rong and wherever else) and for how long. When I am only left with enough money to secure an apartment for 1-3 months or so, I'll do that and look to teach English.

I don't have any teaching qualifications, but I am a very enthusiatic and fun person and will learn and try very hard to teach English in a school as best as I can. I think I would really enjoy it, and learn a lot about myself and my capabilities too. I've never taught anyone, but given enough time and dedication I think I could become great at it.

After that, when I'm making a living and renting a place for a few months, I can start to think about exactly what I want in life; it could end up being teaching, I may decide I want to travel more, or maybe something different entirely like try and set up a business! Only time will tell, and my options at this point are limitless (I feel anyway lol).

So, I guess what I want to say is: Hey everyone, I can't wait to join you all soon!

Hi JadstaSeven. 

Welcome to Expat.com. I can empathize with your post as I left home at 16 and arrived in Asia. I would suggest that you look at getting some sort of teaching qualification. Seems more and more teaching institutions are asking for qualifications and you can possibly get more money with them. 

Remember to have a plan B in place if something goes wrong and look at getting medical insurance cover. Do not get travel insurance as this will not cover you after 3 months or so. 

Good luck.

Hi JadstaSeven,

As Stumpy mentioned above, it is highly recommended that you gain a teaching qualification such as TEFL or CELTA before you arrive if you plan on teaching. You will find it extremely difficult to secure a paid teaching gig being so young, with no quals and no teaching experience. It is possible, but you will be earning peanuts.

Also, a backup plan and emergency funds are a necessity...if you find you are unable to find paid employment and your money runs out what will you do? I have seen far too many people, young/middle aged/older, come to Cambodia expecting to be able to easily land a paid job and live comfortably...only to fall flat on their face and find themselves in extreme strife.

Apologies if my post comes across as negative, but I thought you should be aware of the reality. You seem enthusiastic, but extremely under prepared for what you are getting yourself into...make sure you do your research before packing it all in and taking the plunge.

I wish you all the best.

Hi Stumpy and Rarky,

Thank you for your replies, all information is very appreciated! I'll be sure to always have enough money as a backup in case things don't end up going as well as I hope, so that I can fly back if I needed to. You are both right and I'll make sure to always be able to get back, or have enough money for any emergencies just in case.

As for teaching, from what I've read online it seems unqualified teachers generally earn around $10 per hour, while more experience and an official qualification can increase the rate to $20 or even more. It's helpful to know that it may not be as easy as I thought to get a teaching job being so young and with no teaching qualifications, but anything I can get to support myself for a while, while I settle in would be enough at first. I may try to get a TEFL or CELTA through courses offered there or online, if I can not find a job without it or I enjoy the job enough that I want to move further into it.

I'll do more research and try to better prepare myself before leaving. Thank you both for your help and guidance, I wish you both the best also!

Hello, JadstaSeven,

I am an expatriate in Cambodia (based in Phnom Penh) since 2011. I came here to serve as Director of a school that confers master's degree in development management, until my contract ended. After that I just decided to continually extend my visa every year up to now. Cambodia can be an intriguing place which can encourage someone from the outside to stay awhile.

Please be aware that the place is entirely different from the environment that westerners are used to. The culture, way things are done, social system, cleanliness, hygiene, medical care, driving behavior of motorists, language, etc, can be a bit shocking at first to unprepared visitors from the west. While the number of Cambodians that can speak English is increasing, most of the people you will meet and relate with can only speak Khmer.

The locals are generally friendly to foreigners, but many will also easily try to rip-off newcomers at the first instance. As far as I have observed, the place is actually relatively safer for foreigners compared to many cities in the world. Here, I am not afraid to walk late at night. Something I will never do in other Asian cities. (In Manila for example).

It helps much to know someone, a local, whom you can trust and can accompany you when you are still in the stage of exploring the local environment (such as getting on local transportation, looking for a room to rent, buying food, learning the language, etc.).

If you want, I can introduce you to trustworthy locals who can speak English well. They are Cambodians who have become Christians and are holding responsible jobs. They may even be able to introduce you to people they know who may want to make you an English tutor for their pre-school kids. You may already exchange emails with them, even before you come to Cambodia, so that there will already be someone you know in the locality before you arrive. For this purpose, you may email me at [email protected]

Regards,
Mart

Wow you are brave and bold I am Jack from the USA I am coming in July to retire from my work so keep in touch and lets see how it goes. My email Is [email protected]

Jack in USA

Hey Jadstaseven, I just recently moved here, I am 21 now but moved to Singapore when I was just 19 so I know what your going threw. Message me and we'll get a drink. I check here every few days

(Moderated: please post your job offer in the jobs section)

Thanks for the replies everyone! I've been in Cambodia for about 2 weeks now and really enjoy it here. I'm sorry that I didn't reply to you all sooner, I just bought a laptop here and have been traveling to a few different places so haven't had much time to use the internet.

I will be more active now that I have a laptop here. I've traveled from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville, and from Sihanoukville back to Phnom Penh just yesterday. I'm now looking for an apartment and a job, and plan on staying here until I go back for Christmas. After that, I may come back here or travel to another destination. I've made a blog to record everything I'm doing, so I can look back at it years from now and remember everything. I also plan on having it grow and gain followers; if I'm lucky, maybe I could make some money out of it too, which would be great.

If anyone is interested, it's at JamesinAsia.com and I just started it; it's a work in progress and will change a lot over time, the layout and features too. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, please let me know here or on the blog itself and I would be very thankful.