Other (VRTs) now accepted by Transport Malta.

anyone bringing a vehicle into Malta from another member state will be able to present an original valid roadworthiness certificate (VRT) issued in another member state and showing the latest odometer reading by VOSA UK (Vehicle and Operator Services Agency) or any other vehicle road worthiness testing station issuing odometer certificates within the European Union.

Transport Malta has said that as from the beginning of July, it will also be accepting valid roadworthiness certificates (VRTs) (showing the latest odometer reading) instead of odometer certificates when registering used vehicles coming from EU countries. The validity of a vehicle roadworthiness certificate is normally determined from the expiry date printed on the same certificate.

In this regard, anyone bringing a vehicle into Malta from any Member State will be able to either:

1) Present an original valid roadworthiness certificate (VRT) issued in another Member State and showing the latest odometer reading by any approved entity as shown below:

VOSA UK (Vehicle and Operator Services Agency) or ANY Vehicle Road Worthiness Testing/Inspection Station (VRT) issuing Odometer Certificates within the European Union; or

2) Present an original valid odometer certificate issued by any one of the approved entities as shown below:

· JEVIC UK LTD, United Kingdom

· CAR PASS, Belgium

Transport Malta will still reserve the right to verify the authenticity of the documents presented and/or the odometer reading in accordance with Paragraph 6(4)(i) of the Registration and Licensing of Motor Vehicles Regulations (SL 368.02).

For further information please contact customer care on freephone 80072393.

Thanks for the heads up - this will be useful for us
Matt

--- irrelevant post, sorry ---

nilonilonilo wrote:

VRT certificates from other EU member states were already accepted. And an odometer certificate was not necessary if your car was not imported from the UK (or Singapore/Japan).

Don't know what you are implying by that, I was just passing on information published in the papers OK?
Just trying to help, that's all.

I misread your message. I thought it wasn't any real news, or if anything, that it made things more complicated. But if now, if instead of the odometer certificate (Jevic) one can use a VRT with odometer reading, that is indeed good news!

What I meant about the VRTs is that you can use one from your European home country, it doesn't have to be a Maltese VRT when you go and register your car. Just make sure that the guy who does your vehicle inspection, before you're going into the building for the actual registration, signs your foreign VRT in approval, if not the clerk at the registration desk will send you back to him.