Which option do you guys think is better?

Hello, I am trying to move to Hungary to teach English and learn Hungarian.  Which option do you guys think is better?

a. going to Hungary with the Schengen visa, finding work and then switching to a visa that will allow me to stay longer

or

b.  applying in advance to get the "self-employed" visa that will allow me to work in Hungary as a freelance English teacher

alexmunkacsy wrote:

Hello, I am trying to move to Hungary to teach English and learn Hungarian.....a. going to Hungary with the Schengen visa, finding work and then switching to a visa that will allow me to stay longer

You've got a Hungarian name so perhaps - if your relations with Hungary are not too distant - you could just apply for citizenship and then you don't need a visa.

I would think that option A would be be the quicker way to move to the country. But, I'm sure if you apply for a teaching position and are accepted they would help you obtain a visa.

alexmunkacsy wrote:

a. going to Hungary with the Schengen visa, finding work and then switching to a visa that will allow me to stay longer

You are in Honolulu. Are you an EU national? Sorry I ask, but it is not clear. Unless you are an EU citizen or resident, you can not normally work legally in Hungary under Schengen. Non-EU nationals or residents normally need to apply for a residence or work visa before entering the country to do any work.

If you are not an EU national, fluffy2560 had a clever thought, something to consider.

alexmunkacsy wrote:

b.  applying in advance to get the "self-employed" visa that will allow me to work in Hungary as a freelance English teacher

Be aware that unlike the US, being self employed is a business type in Hungary and has monthly expenses. Even a self-employed person is required to have an accountant and pay health insurance and Hungarian social care taxes in advance. That is unlike the US, which is a pay as you go system, Hungary is a pre-pay tax system on all businesses. Costs can be thousands of US Dollars a year, even if you have no income. Not small business friendly. You can try to get a "freelance" tax number to do business in Hungary (which has fewer tax burdens), but I honestly do not know if this is an option it you need to enter Hungary on a work visa .....

@ alexmunkacsy > Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Hungary forum in order to bring much more light to your question.

Thanks

Priscilla

Hello.
You do know that teaching salary is quite low in Hungary but if you are going to study Hungarian and a new and different life, why not?
Hopefully you can get a sponsor.  I am already an EU citizen so working there would be easier.
There is a good blog:
http://anamericaninbudapest.com/

alexmunkacsy wrote:

Hello, I am trying to move to Hungary to teach English and learn Hungarian.  Which option do you guys think is better?

or