Life in Lebanon

Lost in translation?! Currently trying to figure out if we shall stay living in Lebanon or return to States. We love many things about Lebanon but it's a big change for us. We need to find an apartment (we can not live with in-laws forever), purchase vehicles, meet friends, find play groups for baby, and learn the ropes here. Big question is, if you had to do it all over again - would you? Is Lebanon a stable, safe place to raise a family? I'm taking Arabic classes now but will I eventually be comfortable living here and be fluent in Arabic? Where can I find an English speaking church that's not in Beirut? Is living in jbeil a good idea? Is healthcare good here?Questions questions questions?

Hi GretchenViaMiami,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have created a new topic as from your post on the Lebanon forum for a better visibility and interaction.

Hi, I'm German and I too am going to have a child in 6 weeks inshallah! have you made up your mind yet?

regarding health care you should not worry! if you have money for a proper insurance you get the best treatment. the hospitals r great and most doctors are either trained at the American University or in Europe :-)

If you really work on your arabic skills...yes, you will be comfortable and have fluent conversations! But of course you have to work a bit on your mind set and ur comfort zone as well as always when staying in a different country (i myself have lived in Thailand for 12 years so i am used to it haha!).

I feel very safe here...at first my family was always nervous when they read about explosions or whatever in the news but i always told them that those things are exceptions. Plus my family here (my husband and in-laws) have been through much worse and i only leave when they actually become nervous :-)

Playgroups for babies are everywhere...i have been looking up on that already too. and friends you will also make via ur arabic courses trust me!

anyways, would love to know how u have decided.

take care!