Moving to namibia

My husband and I want to move to Namibia. I was born in pretoria, but raised in namibia, because my parents are namibians. I got married in South africa and have twin boys. We want to move to namibia. My mother said we must apply for a works permit for my husband and the I must apply for citizenship for namibia. Because my parents live there it would be easy for me to get it. Now I want to know is that how it works? Is that what I am suppose to do? And what els must we do. What paper work everything

Hi Lorainelottering!

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Armand

Hi Lorainelottering,

Welcome back to Namibia and congratulations on having twins.

Firstly, you are a Namibian citizen by descent (thru' your parents). You have South African citizenship by birth. The Namibian Citizenship Act's section 26 allows you to  have dual citizenship.Your children can also hold dual citizenship.

You should have no problem here on that aspect. You will need to apply for a work permit for your husband though. It takes quite some time. However, if he is coming to work with the government or a major company they can apply for him. That is the easiest route to go. However, he will ultimately get it.

On the twins, if they are of school age please apply early. There are very few good schools and they tend to get full.

All the very best to you. I hope this is of some help to you. Once again, welcome back to Namibia.

Zenani

welcome to the land of brave

omaruru wrote:

welcome to the land of brave

Hello omaruru. :)

Welcome to Expat.com, the site of brave too. ;)

Harmonie.

iam happy to find someone who wants to settle in namibia, namibia is my best country and i would want to settle there with
my family. iam very qualified with a degree in clinical and counselling psychology,whenever you setttle down and come across with jobs to do with hiv/aids and coordination,please send me an email, all the best.
chola

Hi Chola,
If you are Namibian and with the qualifications you mentioned I would encourage you to apply for jobs now then come knowing you have interviews lined up. There are many jobs in your field. The country could benefit from your training and expertise.

Suggestions:

There are several UN agencies here dealing with HIV/AIDS; The government has several projects going on.

Feel free to email me directly and I will give you some contacts that you can address. There is a great need for your expertise here.

All the very best,

Zenani

Hello everybody!

Please, don't go off-topic.:)

Thank you,
Harmonie.

Ok so here is the story. I was born in south africa, but because my mom and dad is namibian I lived there my whole life. When I was 20 I can back to SA to study. My uncle handled all the affairs for me to come to SA. Now when we got in SA my uncle told me to get a SA I'd and passport. So I though I am now south african cuz he kept everything I had that was namibian. Eventually I fell inlove in SA and got married in SA and 5 years later am still staying in SA. Recently we were talking about moving to namibia. And yesterday I found out something I did know. I found out that you may not have multiple citizenship in SA. And that there is a possibility that I am still also a namibian citizen cuz I can't remember signing anything saying that I am not namibian anymore.now my question is what now what do I do toi not end up in prison

Hi there,

Ok, here is the other side of that story:

If you held Namibian citizenship and Namibia does not allow you dual citizenship and you lawfully took on the citizenship of another country then by so doing you automatically relinquished your Namibian citizenship.

However, we cannot give you legal advice here but that is my educated opinion.

You will not end up in prison unless you did something fraudulently.

Take heart and enjoy your day.

Zenani

dear zenani ,i appreciate your quick response. lam sure you are doing fine in namibia with your family, please send all the
addresses so that i apply ,if possible give me your email address
so that i send my CV. me and my family would like to settle in namibia. by the way, how are u finding namibia, ? if you have a heart for opharns visit us in zambia with your family because iam currently working as a district hiv/aids coordinating advisor.
i coordinate all hiv programmes. have a good a day and i appreciate your quick response. chola

Hi Chola,
I just got back from Zambia about two weeks ago. Came to see the famous Vic Falls; oh my God! That was an awesome experience.

I will email you privately and hopefully I can share some great contacts with you. I have a great friend who lives here now but has two orphanages there. She is also involved in battling HIV Aids and is doing really admirable work all over the SADC region on that and the fight against human trafficking with regard to young women. I have a feeling you might already know her.

I will send you more info on her projects and maybe you can work on something together. She has written many articles and is well respected in the world forum on those issues. She is an expatriate here as well.

All the best Chola. Blessings for having a heart for the young ones.

I also met another young lady on this site who has since relocated here from Australia. She is doing some work with a local orphanage. I will tell her about you and have you communicate.

I love this site. I have met some awesome people here.
I would like to thank the hosts for keeping it going. THANK YOU!

Ok, you will hear from me on your private email.

Best,

Zenani

you need to ask the Namibian High Commission in Pretoria. They should have all the info for you.
The fact is you can apply for Namibian citizenship if you are born there or by descent.

However, be aware that you will probably have to give up your South African citizenship.  But you will probably be able to get South African Permanent Residence without a problem if you were born before 1990.

dear zenani,
lam sure u saw how zambia is indeed the real africa, we have more than five wonderful sites in zambia where u are able to see Jehovahs wonders. l wish you visited my office in the copperbelt of kitwe so that u see our wonderful work.kindly give the contact numbers for those good friend of yours who are doing wonderful work in zambia. next time u come to zambia, visit ur site too. we will appreaciate very much.

Hi there

I need some help,I am a newly qualified doctor an finishing off my Zuma year and have a job waiting for me in Namibia,my wife and I can't wait to get back to Namibia. I was born in Cape Town but got citizenship through my dad  wwho was born in Namibia. My question is this when I came to study I took on. A "dual" citizenship of SA as I was born before 1990 as it was easier then applying every four years for a study permit extension, my problem is ho how do I get back into Namibia do I use my Namibian passport to leave SA its all very confusing an grey. And my wife does she need to apply for a work permit to come stay with me in Namibia she is a south african?

Please help

Hello DoctorGS,
Welcome home. We need doctors here.
I would suggest you email me privately so I can give you the names and numbers of those you can call. While Namibia does not allow for dual citizenship there are some exceptions and you fall right into that. This means you can use your Nam passport coming home.

Your wife will need to get a work permit. With time you may file for residency for her at which point she will no longer need a work permit.

Please feel free to ask me further questions if you need to.
All the very best,

Zenani

(: thank you Zenani so very much for the prompt reply...we are over the moon and very greatful for the help

Hi There,

The immigration advice of Zenani is spot on. Remember that Nationality as a Birth Right can never be revoked. (Unless you are a Zimbabwean). Get it back at any time by doing a mere declaration at the Consulate in front of the Consular that you wish to have the Birth Citizenship back again...

If I were in your shoes, I would immediately apply for my Namibian passport through Decent and your Husband through Birth while you still live in RSA at the Namibian Consulate. Then enter Namibia without a glitch on your Namibian passports when you decide to come here permanently. Immigration is strict and to avoid traveling on two passports is best. Remember their system is now computerised and it is still a grey area for Immigration when Namibians holds two Nationalities. When one of you are on a Namibian passport, the other does not need a Work Permit but you must prove your marriage. The other passport holder does need a Re-Entry Multiple Visa which is cumbersome and expensive and usually issued for only 2years.

[Moderated]

In the mean time come and visit and job-hunt on your RSA passports. You may enter for 3 months' holiday visa. So come look-and-see where you would like to stay and eventually work.

Namibia do need doctors (speaking English as many good Doctors from Cuba are here but they do manage in Spanish and locals do not understand them) and I have dealt with quite a few younger doctors who also completed their Zuma year, working in a Hospital here is less dramatic than RSA, but if you which to find a practice where you would fit right into - let me know - I should be able to assist there...

Hi there

Thank you so very much for your response to my post we really appriciate it. I will definitely give your friend a call next week sometime. I was born in the Western Cape but got citizenship through my father through Descend. Do I still qualify? I'm trying to figure this stuff out very confusing. I wonder can a person leave SA on ur SA passport an enter botswana on ur Namibian like people do with their British passports.

Thank you again iv been so busy with this moving an other exams postgrade iv put this on hold till next week (:

Thank you so very much

G

You are most welcome.

Best to contact Emce soonest. Her Mother answering the phone can also forward you all the forms that you require and actual advice on which passport to travel.

I would travel in and out on one passport through Bots unless both passport have various travel stamps. I would not use a passport into Namibia without a "departure" stamp in the same said passport. See clear as mud!

Also as the RSA Police Clearance takes 6 weeks or longer to process - unless you pay extra - do it asap. Here you just require a receipt of you applying for Police Clearance in your current country to continue with the process. They know it is a slow process...

Regards
Daniel

I live in Cape town and have been here my whole life, my mother was born and raised in walvis bay but moved to south africa before  SWA became Namibia.
Her passport and ID are south african but state that she was born in walvis bay, can i at all apply for residency? or does it have to be from your fathers side.

Hello jasonnel and welcome to Expat.com!

I invite you to start a new thread on the forum.;)

Thanks,
Harmonie.

Hi everyone am mark and am from nigeria I would love to
To start a new life in namibia I mean to seek for citizenship there I need help on how to go abt it,ur help will really be appreciated
Thanks......

Hey guys I need some advise and help.  I'm a SA Citizen married to a Namibian.  We are moving back to Windhoek within the next month.  My husband got a job offer that we could not refuse.  My question is do i need any paperwork to come over or how does it work??

Please please help

Hello there and congratulations on the job offer.
By virtue of your marriage you are entitled to domicile in Namibia.

You can download the application form for domicile online then once you get here just go to the Ministry of Home Affairs & Immigration.
The two things that you might want to bring with you are:

1. Police Clearance Report

2. Get the medical forms thereon filled out and signed by your doctor.

You can lodge the forms yourself upon which they will give you an acknowledgement. The application's approval takes time but don't be discouraged. Just keep checking back with them.

Welcome to Namibia.

Best regards,

Z

We acquired US citizenship but wish to renew  Namibian passports for myself, my spouse (who is SA born but naturalised) and our kids who are Nam born.  Is this legal and possible?

Check online and see if the US authorities allow dual citizenship / passports first.

THank you Stumpy.  The USA does allow me to hold a Namibian passport.  The question is if my spouse who is SA born but became a Namibian will be allowed to get a new Namibian passport.  I am Namibian born so should not have a problem.

Hi Guys,

I was born in SA we have a branch located in Namibia and I have an opportunity to get a transfer but have no family relatives from Namibia.I know that I will be able to apply for a working visa but how long will this be valid ? We have a kid as well  once we have settled my wife would like to start  looking for a job

Will this be possible ? Can some give me some advice please

Thank you !!! :top:

That is the same answer I'm looking for as well. How long does the work permit last. I would love to pack up my two kids from the U.S. and relocate to Namibia but Im getting alot of negative vibes about the strictness of the country. Im a dialysis nurse with 5 years experience...Anyone please help

Good day
Me and my wife has been talking about immigrating to Namibia. But we do not know how, my father was born in Namibia with his mother and father they came to south Africa and got there south Africa citizenship. Can I get my Namibia citizenship in some why. Please help.
Thanks
Marius

(Moderated: no copy/paste on the forum pls)

Hello! I,m writing from nigeria, my name is julius, studied Architecture and Building. Pls i want to know the possibility of  immigrating and finding a job in construction company. Any wise infor is heartly appreciated, thanks.

hi.iam a a kenyan.a nurse by profession with 8years experience in general nursing.now iam asking if it is possible to get a job in namibia as a registered community health nurse
thanks in advance.

Good day

My wife and I were both born in Namibia .
We want to go back permanently. We have been staying in SA since 1992.
How do we apply,do we fill in the same application form that you would fill in if you were born in SA ?

Thanks !

Hello People,
am very thrilled to be part of this site.  hope to be welcomed and to be enjoy your good views and knowledge.

I Love south Africa in all and Namibia in particular.

I would like to retire in Namibia.... but would like to know.. and income of a 1000 $ or 1500$.. cud lead to a comfortable living ??

Hi
As a newby on the blog I want to refer to chats 29 and 30, we fell in love with Namibia and want to know can will it be possible to move and become a citizen.  Reading from the others I get the ropes to apply before but the same dreadful new I got that its just about impossible to become a citizen. 

Pls advice.

Hallo

My husband is working in Namibia with work visa at this stage still waiting for permit.

Me and the children also want to move in January.

Please help....more information? Where to atart?

Tersia

Hello Tersia,

I am hoping that your husband included you in his permit application. If he did then you would get a permit
as an accompanying spouse and your children as accompanying parent. That is the easiest way to do it and the most cost effective. If he did not ask him to talk to whoever is assisting him or to talk to the Home Affairs Office for assistance. They are actually quite helpful.

If your children are school-age I would suggest you start talking to the schools now as there is a definite shortage of places for foreign students. The public schools are congested and the private schools have long waiting lists.

The Catholic School in WIndhoek is pretty good and so is Windhoek Christian Academy. There are several more which your husband can look at since he is there but he needs to do it now.

I am out of the country on an assignment until the end of the month but if you have any questions I will be happy to answer or point you in the right direction.

Best regards,

Z

Awesome guys hi. :D  I have successfully interviewed and been offered a Hospitality position in Namibia. I'm from Kenya and really in the dark of the long wait from Namibian Home affairs to process Permits for work and stay. Anyone with some idea, experience of the turn around time..chances for fast-track, approvals, etc please? Thank you everyone.