Moving soon to Dar

Hi All!

It's Enrico here. I'm now living in Kigali (Rwanda) but I'll move to Dar in early September. It's three of us, me, my girlfriend Anna and our little dog Kwera.

I'm an Urban Planner and I already have a job there. Anna is an Architect/Urban Designer with some years of teaching in the architecture school here in Kigali.. She will need to find a job in Dar.

First thing: we know nothing about Dar  :/  so we need a lot of advice on living cost, good/bad areas to live in, hiring a car and all the basics...

We'll need to find a house/apartment in a decent area and for this I will need your experts advice. Where can we find a house with a price around 1500/2000 USD in a good but not too expensive neighborhood? Any place with sea view available :) ?

Thanks to all in advance!

Enrico

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hi Karibu Tanzania :) means you are welcome to Tanzania,
One vip thing you need to know is that Dar es Salaam is a damn traffic area, you can spend like 2 to 3 hours waiting on a traffic jam no matter where you leave in the city center its even worse theres no parking area available.
Seaview house are very much expensive ranging from 3,000 onwards unless you stay in a hotel at 400usd double etc.
seaview area is called Masaki or Sea view those are very expensive areas, Mikocheni is also a good area but on rainy season you will need to drive a boat :huh:  to go to work
Mwenge is not a bad area I even know a house for rent at 1,000usd its near the biggest shopping mall (Mlimani city) not sure if it will be available by the time you come in september.Rentel vehicle range between 70usd for saloon cars to 100 onwards for 4wd.So the good places to live are Masaki (very expensive), Mikocheni,standard but on rainy season you will regret and Mwenge is not bad, thats where I leave and its in the middle of dar.

Keep in touch

Thank you so much Fanuella! A lot of interesting and useful info I was actually looking for something in mikicheni but I guess I'll have to rent an amphibian car :)

I'll get back to you once I'm sure on the dates.. So far I still don't know exactly.

Thanks again!

Enrico

Hey Namala,

thank you so much for your reply! Unfortunately I've just discovered I'm not moving to Dar but to Arusha!! So I think I'll have to open another post "Moving to Arusha" :)

Thanks again!

Enrico

[ Moderated : No Free ads ]