Philipine Parmanent visa

Well I am starting to get an idea of the goings on about the whole Visa situation. But my dilemma is that I am not married yet. My fiance and I have been Skype dating for about three years now and want to get married when I get to PI (the Philippines Islands). So as I understand it I have to fly to PI entering and showing that I have an exit flight already booked. I get to stay for 21 days then I have to get an extension that is good for another 59 days. Once I am married then I have to leave PI go someplace for a day or so then return to get a BB stamp, then I am good for 16 months. Does that sound right so far???

mugtech wrote:
XcntrK wrote:

OK I admit to being quite ignorant to the whole subject. What is a BB stamp??

ON the other side of this, is there cheap trips you can make to nearby places?? Maybe a little boat cruise or plane flight to another country. I do not want to leave once I get there but if it is necessary it would be nice to have an idea of where I could just take off for a day or two with my wife after we get married.

BB Stamp = balikbayan stamp.  When you enter the Philippines with your Filipina wife who is a citizen of the Philippines, you get the stamp on your passport, allowing you to stay for a year, never having to deal with immigration.  You could be required to show a marriage license.  If you leave the Philippines the BB stamp no longer applies and you must again return with your wife to get a new BB stamp, good for another year.  Places to visit include Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia and Taiwan.  You can fly out and back the same day if you like.

How much does it cost to get the BB stamp if your wife travels with you...???

Hello XcntrK
It is normal to be given a tourist visa for 21 days, you then go to the main  immigration office during the 21 days and obtain a visa extension that is for 2 months from your day of entry. After this you can obtain another visa extension for 6 months at a time, I am unsure if on your arrival at the airport if you may request a 6 month visa from the airport immigration. The other about the BB stamp I should take your time. You can do all that when you know that you are more settled with your relationship and the Philippines.
All the best
Mervyn

the  BB stamp has no cost as long as your wife travels with you and  she  request from the  officer to give you the  stamp, one thing if she has a passport in her maiden name you should  carry a copy of your marriage certificate, if she does not have  or wants to change her passport to her married name  she  will have  to go to the CFO class in Cebu or Manila for  some reason a Filipino married to a foreigner must get that class and  the  sticker for her passport, you can get all the  details  about that on line  another thing the  Bureau of Immigration has  a facebook page you can ask questions there and  they usually will respond,  you can usually find all the  information you need on line,  i had  a lot  of trouble getting a copy of my marriage certificate it took about 8 months, if  you in Manila there should  be no problem, after i was married  the  marriage contract was taken back to where we obtained the  license they were suppose to send it to NSO Manila said it would  take  about 6 months, well after six months i found out i could  get  copies directly from Manila at a cost  of  about  P315 including  shipping, so i sent to NSO Manila, they replied  no record of  my marriage, so i go to the  place  i got  the  license, sure  enough they never sent the  certificate, so i had  to have  it  done digital, small charge but  takes  2 months  after than i finally got  the NSO copy

Hi again Mervyn,

I will stick to my guns and give you the same advice, do not trust this Makati office and the Bureau of Immigration. I do not see any legal documentation for businessmen, concerning the SRRV. Have you explored other countries that you could possibly do business? Business dealing here in the Philippines is not favorable for the foreigner. If you are already ingrained in business ventures here then I hope the best for you in these endeavours.

[Moderated: Totally inappropriate]

Hello Mervyn,
I am from the United States. However, I have lived here in the Philippines for almost 11-years. i will return to my home country by 2015, as I have children that have never met my family and I miss being in the U.S. also. Although, I am not sure if I would stay there permanently at this point.

One thing I am sure of though is with the current regime and laws that I have encountered, I WOULD NOT start a business venture in the Philippines. I have some friends and acquaintances, mostly from European nations, whom have either moved their businesses to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam or just closed up shop. It is much too difficult here to do business and there are so many factors beyond the government bureaucracy and corruption. I love this country and the people, but business and banking practices have left a horrible taste in my mouth.

As a single business man in this country, I do not imagine that you will fair well. It is only through a spouse which would have to be a native Filipino ,could you actually do a fair amount of decent business. But you have no intention of marrying so I would look into other venture capitals in the above mentioned countries and make this country home base. You may fair well here, but always keep alert and abreast of the people you have befriended and the laws of the land pertaining to business.

Hi all,

We have removed some off topic posts for info.

Regards
Armand
Expat.com Team

One thing the  BOI has changed it  is no longer lax in it's immigration policy like it was with Commissioner David, the  new Commissioner is  very strict, if you name is not same on documents as in your passport they will dismiss the  petition, they do not process visas as fast. A little about the  new  Commissioner Sigfrid  Mison is the son of former Customs commissioner Salvador Mison and nephew of former National Bureau of Investigation director Mariano Mison.

He was a military officer before he became a lawyer. He graduated from the US Military Academy at West Point in 1987. He obtained his law degree from the Ateneo de Manila University in 1996, and earned his Masters of Law from the University of Southern California in 2006.

This is pretty emotional here, I wonder where the common sense and logic is.
Try those hints, guys:
If you are still abroad, get in touch with the next Philippine Embassy or Consulate, you certainly will be informed correctly and free of charge. As far as I recall, they even sent out brochures for retirement and other VISAS.

Also beknown to me are some expats which proceeded their 13A through the Consulate abroad , it was a straightforward process and painless. No handouts and no extra fees, not to mention the comfort to do it in your own country.

The famous BB entry stamp is a great choice, IF you have a ticket to go out UPON ARRIVAL for yourself. And often falsely claimed at the Airport Immigration in MANILA, a ticket for your wife as well. (That's false, but what can one do, argue with the Immigration guys at the airport, they can completely deny your entry if they feel like and then what ?)
So lets break that down a bit :

Example Balikbayan or BB:  Minimum costs 550,- US (if you are real Cheap)
Advantage- none really...

You need to bring your wife along, buy two return tickets, PLUS one for you to go out AGAIN AFTER your Re-Arrival, and then also finance the entire trip.
Cheapest I did once (for pleasure,not for visa, I am a 13a) was to Bangkok inklusive 3 nites Hotel/Brekky for 220 US$ each. Thats 440,- US, not counting other F&B.
The wife then has to pay ~40 US Travel tax. Airport fees for both ~30,- bucks, a total of
510,- US NOT including eventual F&B etc in Bangkok or wherever.
Plus the Omnius return ticket to a place outside for the BB applicant. (Lets say, you use within the next year again, which is a bit of a logistical headache, but nothing is easy in life.)

Example 13A-
Advantage- you can work in the Philippines!

And yup, if you leave ONCE, you have to pay a whopping 100 US,- to go out, there is a multiple option as well, but lets stay with the 100,- US. Did I mention the 8,- US annual? lol.
Disadvantage- it costs somewhat 300,- US all together in the 2 years process, but in the end (after 5-10 years) you can even become Filipino! Who knows...?

Example Retiree -
Advantage- you do NOT HAVE to be married, you can leave as much as you like back and forth, BUT you pay 360,- annually (Which btw. changes every few years, but not significant, the Philipines still work out the best way...sort of playing and testing)
good for the first time lon time resident/fiance, test the country and all for a few years, however, you can do the same with the 13A...
---
So, if one look carefully at all three options AND has a wife, the third one is maybe the best/cheapest. Because if one truly checks the annual holiday option together with wife, he will find out, that travelling is a 4 digit expense...except your 19 and backpack.

last but not least a warning - do NEVER EVER go for the offer, even when some Immigration Officers themselve suggest it, do get yourself a fake BB stamp.
Fake is also when only YOU leave the country without wife.
I know for a fact, that the BI now checks and wants to see the wifes passport, IF they control the BB "tourist" and if she has no corrsponding stamp (or worse, no passport) one can pay all the years plus 100 % fine of the tourist extension fees and worse...   
They also can control arrivals/departures and corresponding flightlists on a Computer System (Cortesy of the Anti Terror Coalition and the aide of the US ), and if the current trend of controlling aliens continues, they WILL check and collect (fines) of the BB guys.
Has happened already a few times in Cebu and Bohol.
And I am sure, with about 30k per year, they will not let that lucrative chance pass. All it needs is ONE guy at a PC to do the works and they can filter the "singles" out.
And if you have not even left the country (complete false BB stamp) you're in jail for falsifiying public stamps.

So think twice about those "tips and connections".

I hope that helped all of you.

Is it something Good to live in Philipine ?

firozbusiness wrote:

Is it something Good to live in Philipine ?

Yea, The weather, cheap booze, cheap rent, beautiful scenery and oh yes the 10's of thousands of available women...Do you need any more reason then those...

But there is always the negative flip side to consider...

It really depends upon the individual person. Some expats live here for superficial reason and spend their days drunk and in bars. Some because it is cheaper than anywhere else. Some enjoy the sights and nature. The list ist endless, just like the decision to live anywhere else.

I enjoy the REAL hospitality and openness of the people towards foreigners, the more healthy pace of live and work, the time I have for other things and hobbies. But most of all the true acceptance of the local population, which I have never experienced anywhere else. (I've been allmost all over the world)
The last but not least reason is the christian background, not that I am a zealous religious person, but since all our values and education is based dupon christianity, it is harder for the average person to live and adjust in a Islamic or Buddhist environment.
I also eyeballed central America, but the genuine welcome of the people for long time residents was not as strong a in the Philippines.

Stranded Shipscook wrote:

It really depends upon the individual person. Some expats live here for superficial reason and spend their days drunk and in bars. Some because it is cheaper than anywhere else. Some enjoy the sights and nature. The list ist endless, just like the decision to live anywhere else.

I enjoy the REAL hospitality and openness of the people towards foreigners, the more healthy pace of live and work, the time I have for other things and hobbies. But most of all the true acceptance of the local population, which I have never experienced anywhere else. (I've been allmost all over the world)
The last but not least reason is the christian background, not that I am a zealous religious person, but since all our values and education is based dupon christianity, it is harder for the average person to live and adjust in a Islamic or Buddhist environment.
I also eyeballed central America, but the genuine welcome of the people for long time residents was not as strong a in the Philippines.

Costa Rica is a great place to live...The people are very open and friendly...If I could speak Spanish well I most definitely would had chosen it over the Philippines...

ken49

ken49

Re: Philipine Parmanent visa

When you have the Balikbayan Privilege being married to a Filipina for 12 months does that let you leave and return by your self if you have to return home for any reason and still be covered when you return.

Ken
Why do you still go on half cocked about this subject, When you were given all the detail last year on the best way to approach the visa situation

+1

I was there for a few months and enjoyed it a lot as well. However, in my humble opinion it came only second. The acceptance of foreigners which work and make a living (which is important for me) is just not thorough enough. In my subjective view the People very much welcome wealthy and financially well settled people (where not?) but if one starts a business he will experience a lot of difficulties becoming accepted. I had it a bit easier even, having been the Bf of a daughter of an influntial family, but still I felt the "resistance", and in the end it all kind of became unpleasant. To be specific- even though I had the best quality and most competitive prices for my Imports, nobody wanted to buy from the "German" due to "loyality" towards the local nepotism and favorism structure. We then marketed the products anonymous through a local middleman and voiala, it sold! But the profits were lower as well as it left a sour taste in the mouth in general. 
That was in the late eighties, when Costa Rica was way more open then now.(cheaper too, now the current prop market and cost of living are adding to the problems)

But it certainly did not got easier.
(ps- I spoke good spanish then)

I was there for a few months and enjoyed it a lot as well. However, in my humble opinion it came only second. The acceptance of foreigners which work and make a living (which is important for me) is just not thorough enough. In my subjective view the People very much welcome wealthy and financially well settled people (where not?) but if one starts a business he will experience a lot of difficulties becoming accepted. I had it a bit easier even, having been the Bf of a daughter of an influntial family, but still I felt the "resistance", and in the end it all kind of became unpleasant. To be specific- even though I had the best quality and most competitive prices for my Imports, nobody wanted to buy from the "German" due to "loyality" towards the local nepotism and favorism structure. We then marketed the products anonymous through a local middleman and voiala, it sold! But the profits were lower as well as it left a sour taste in the mouth in general. 
That was in the late eighties, when Costa Rica was way more open then now.(cheaper too, now the current prop market and cost of living are adding to the problems)

I bet you never had to worry about physical violence threatened against you for have a competitive business with the locals unlike the Philippines where many expats are directly threatened with a gun or worse...

vetretreat wrote:

I bet you never had to worry about physical violence threatened against you for have a competitive business with the locals unlike the Philippines where many expats are directly threatened with a gun or worse...

...pardon me ? I am running business in Manila and Cebu since 1985 and never ever got any threats of any kinds. As well as the hundreds of other business people i met over the years. We are all happy (even the corruption is more a nuisance then a problem to most) and never had any difficulties.
Competitive business with locals? Which would that be ? Most business which can be done legally by or with foreign participation are out of the local "business options" and therefore one could not compete.
I am really stunned by that reply, it either is "heresay" from people which have never been involved in business (Pubrumours) or based upon single incidents which are sensationalized by the media. (And Filipnos alike, which unfortunately have the tendency to "overreact" and gossip like hell about the smallest thing)
Nope, the reality is, that is one looks around, he will find all kind of foreign companies, large and small, which invested and run business in the Philippines.
In the Special Export Zones even all of them.

Does the 10K only have to be deposited for 6 Months, or until you decide you no longer want to live in the Philippines?

I am currently here on a BB visa. Have been here for approx 7 months now and decided to go and apply for a 13A. (This was in Bacolod, and I went there because I was told that they were going to open a center for visa applications somewhere in Negros Occ., only to discover that they haven't gotten around to opening them as yet). So went to the ordinary office - and the lady was very helpful - and gave me a form with the details (so many things to complete now) and said either go to Manila or Cebu which has an officer to handle these things. However, she said it would take at least 6 months (or maybe more) and I would probably have to extend my BB for 2 months. I am wondering if it would be best to leave the Philippines with my wife (once I have the paperwork all together) and re-enter with a fresh BB, which would give me a further year in which to process my visa? I should clarify that I wouldn't send in the papers for processing until I returned on the new BB - does that sound feasible? Many thanks for your help

kiwibill wrote:

I am currently here on a BB visa. Have been here for approx 7 months now and decided to go and apply for a 13A. (This was in Bacolod, and I went there because I was told that they were going to open a center for visa applications somewhere in Negros Occ., only to discover that they haven't gotten around to opening them as yet). So went to the ordinary office - and the lady was very helpful - and gave me a form with the details (so many things to complete now) and said either go to Manila or Cebu which has an officer to handle these things. However, she said it would take at least 6 months (or maybe more) and I would probably have to extend my BB for 2 months. I am wondering if it would be best to leave the Philippines with my wife (once I have the paperwork all together) and re-enter with a fresh BB, which would give me a further year in which to process my visa? I should clarify that I wouldn't send in the papers for processing until I returned on the new BB - does that sound feasible? Many thanks for your help

That is a calculation thought, when you go out with the wife, the costs are all together minimum 500,- US and more, while a sole extension costs maybe less.
On the other hand , you can do treat it as a "vacation" and just enjoy your time.
Also ASK the Immigration officer who handle your application first, if you are allowed to leave during the 13a processing time, there is some old rule, that during a certain period you must be available at all time for interview, etc. otherwise you start from zero again.

Don't forget to enter again with an "exit" ticket, this can be a one way to HKG or Cheaper, as long as you can proof, that you would be able to leave the Philippines, you are ok.
Tip: Use Cebu Airport, the Immigration is much nicer. The few bucks extra are well invested.

On your 10k question- to my knowledge only 6 months, but rulings can change (as well as the amount)

Many thanks for your help - I have to go to Singapore with my wife sometime anyway around Nov-Dec, so that would be fine. About the exit ticket, is it possible to get some kind of open ticket that I could use at some time in the future, rather than pay for (say a HK or other cheap ticket) one and take the loss when the ticket possibly expires. I am asking because I am not familiar with airline ticketing regulations - in the past I have always booked my ticket to wherever, used the ticket on the date(s) in question and returned again home. This is my first time to actually stay in the Philippines other than as a short-term tourist, as I have now retired. I actually fell for the "exit ticket" scenario as I never thought about it - just arrived as usual ready to ask for the BB visa for the first time, only to find them waiting for me before I rounded the second corner in the narrow entry corridor. I have to say that they were very helpful and I had my dilemma resolved without too much bother, but it was a near shave. So please, if you could advise me about the ticketing issue for the exit flight I would be most grateful - Again many thanks and best regards, Bill

You can arrange something with a (local) Travel Agency to have a one way Ticket issued on the date of your departure or if not possible, change the date later, some Agencies are friendly and would even issue an unpaid (e) ticket with a simple deposit.
The other way is the refund of an eventaul ticket in form of a new ticket or even Cash, but you still have to pay somewhat 20-50 $ fee.
Important is, that you (could) wave a Ticket when entering.

Maybe you can even get one of those desired "cheapy tickets + fuel" which the airlines always use as advertising. Worth a try, just like playing Lotto.

@Stranded Ship Cook re Exit Ticket. Thanks again for your help - I just wondered if there was an easy way of doing this. I will start searching around for best options
Best regards Bill

Where u from sir/ maam? Ur from what country?

I am from New Zealand Glenda 14. Does this make a diffeence?

Maybe no difference sir ,i have sister in nz in auckland,all of the suggestion sir ,u can get an idea.sir..sir immigration and immigration lawyer can help ur problem through online..o

Thanks for your input - I will keep it in mind if I run into any more problems

[Moderated: Please post in the jobs section]