Category D Visa

My wife is back in Russia changing the name on her passports. As I am a long-term resident of Bulgaria, therefore treated as a Bulgarian, does she need to get a D visa to come here, or can she come on a C visa and then apply for long-term residence as my wife? A D visa takes up to 6 weeks, whereas a C visa only a few days.

Welcome on board IvorjHall ;)

I hope that other forumers will bring their input to your query soon.

Regards

I came to Bulgaria on a tourist visa (C-visa?), I married my Bulgarian wife during that 90-day period.  I had to return to my home country (US) to file papers with the Bulgarian embassy, then wait until they authorized my visa-D.  This took about 6 weeks, though they did tell me it could take as long as 3 months.

I have been living here on a long-term visa-D since August of 2009 with my wife.  I had to renew my visa in 2010, and again in January of this year.

We waited until January of 2010 to start the renewal process, we were told I was late!  After paying a 500 lv fine all was well, so for 2011 we started the renewal process in mid-December of 2010.

It may very well be that Bulgarian and Russia have a different agreement about this kind of thing, I can only tell you my experience as an expat-American married to a Bulgarian.

Good luck to you and your wife :-)

I have since found out that the information my wife received from the Bulgarian Embassy in Moscow was completely wrong!! Anyone who is a member of the EU, or a family member of someone from the EU, would do well to seek free advice from SOLVIT. Type this into google and follow the simple instructions. The assistance they gave me was rapid and invaluable. I hope this helps others.

Hi IvorjHall,

To obtain a temporary residence permit of Bulgaria, you first should obtain a Type D visa.

Good luck!

@ ivan.andreev > Please note that the request of Ivorjall is very old (2011) However, thank you for your help here.

Priscilla :)

Hi Priscilla,

I have noticed that but I have already submitted my post and decided to leave it there as the information is useful.

Thanks  :)