Local transportation

Would be interested to know if there are any private, safe taxi companies or other local private modes of transportaion to get around from one point to another in Tripoli.

Transportation is sh*t here.

Yes there are, you can hire a private company to avail for you a car or a van with a driver against a special amount of fees for a period of time.

"Safe Road Transport" is a Libyan Oxymoron.

Hi,

I use a taxi driver that is really good and efficient (although he doesnt speak a word of English). He usually understands, also helps that he has someone in his family that does communicate in English so you always manage to get by. If you would like his number, pm me and i'll let you have it.

Thanks you all for the response. Appears like very little choice.
Saw some horrible driving on the roads, I really would not want to risk myself driving here at this time. May be later once I get familiar.

Please send me the number of the taxi driver. How do you communicate or negotiate charges?
Cheers!

If you know where you are going (i.e. the route) and find out beforehand how much the taxi is going to charge, there should be no problem in taking any taxi on the street. (though they sometimes drive quite recklessly, you could always ask them to slow down!!). The fares are usually 2.5 to 5 dinars, depending on the distance. For e.g. Green Square to Saraj will be about L.D.5.
If you have a 'fixed' taxi driver who you call whenever you need him, he would probably charge a little more for the trip, or you could work out an hourly/daily rate. Most taxi drivers will want to charge extra just because you are a foreigner.
Being a female, I avoid taking taxis at night & to deserted places. I also find out how much they are going to charge before getting in - 'Giddash' in Arabic & have learnt Arabic numbers which also helps communicate at shops. I suggest you get a map, if u haven't already, so that you know your way around.
You could also hire a vehicle with a driver on a monthly basis for about L.D.1,000/- per month ... I'm sure somebody from your company could arrange that... good luck :)

My word of advice DO NOT TAKE TAXIS IN LIBYA, there's been many cases where taxi drivers would take the foreigners out to a remote area (Almost all cases in farm areas).

FireFox wrote:

My word of advice DO NOT TAKE TAXIS IN LIBYA, there's been many cases where taxi drivers would take the foreigners out to a remote area (Almost all cases in farm areas).

For what purpose may I ask ? And not that I don't believe you (as I have heard the same thing.) But how do you know it is 'many cases' ?.

Clansman wrote:
FireFox wrote:

For what purpose may I ask ? And not that I don't believe you (as I have heard the same thing.) But how do you know it is 'many cases' ?.

I wanted to actually detail the cases I know about here but then I changed my mind. As long as you and I know that these things can happen, that is what needs to be focused on.

Clansman, don't question everything!

FireFox wrote:

Clansman, don't question everything!

Why not? ;)

Don't know really?!?

FireFox wrote:

What happens?  Do you never come back?  I have been contemplating taking taxis if and when I absolutely need to.  But afraid for this reason.

But really what happens?  I know nothing good.  Could you give a couple of examples?  Don't have to say who.

Sea Angel wrote:
FireFox wrote:

What happens?  Do you never come back?  I have been contemplating taking taxis if and when I absolutely need to.  But afraid for this reason.

But really what happens?  I know nothing good.  Could you give a couple of examples?  Don't have to say who.

I have taken many taxis on my own, no problem (apart from the driving), more importantly my wife has taken taxis a lot on her own, once again no problem. I would advise against a single woman getting a taxi late at night though, especially if you don't know the area very well.

Does FireFox have a problem with questions ?, or just has a problem answering them :rolleyes:

Sea Angel wrote:
FireFox wrote:

I have been using taxis in Libya for the past 4 years and haven't faced any problems (except for demand for higher fare than the usual rate and some extremely chatty taxi drivers). I would advise you to avoid taking taxis after dark & to remote places. Also avoid taking taxis if you don't know the way. If you know the roads well there shouldn't be a problem, especially for short distances in busy areas. (Inshallah!!)

Sea Angel wrote:
FireFox wrote:

Well, my advice was for women and since you're the first one asking, I wouldn't recommend that from one past experience with my friend. Nothing happened to her she returned home but terrified, because she kept asking the driver where he was taking her as she recalled that the way normally taken to her intended destination was different to the one the driver was taking her from. The driver making it more horrible for her didn't reply to her she cried in the back seat of the taxi thinking she was being abducted. The driver also looked at her with angry face expressions she said making it hard not to believe that she was forcefully being taken somewhere else.

When the taxi came to a halt at some farm area you will not believe it but my friend managed to escape and ran off to the nearby road and luckily found another taxi heading towards the city and took that from there. She never saw that man as she recalled, getting out of the car and chasing her....which was strange!!!

Thank god she is safe and back.

FireFox wrote:
Sea Angel wrote:
FireFox wrote:

Well, my advice was for women and since you're the first one asking, I wouldn't recommend that from one past experience with my friend. Nothing happened to her she returned home but terrified, because she kept asking the driver where he was taking her as she recalled that the way normally taken to her intended destination was different to the one the driver was taking her from. The driver making it more horrible for her didn't reply to her she cried in the back seat of the taxi thinking she was being abducted. The driver also looked at her with angry face expressions she said making it hard not to believe that she was forcefully being taken somewhere else.

When the taxi came to a halt at some farm area you will not believe it but my friend managed to escape and ran off to the nearby road and luckily found another taxi heading towards the city and took that from there. She never saw that man as she recalled, getting out of the car and chasing her....which was strange!!!

Thank god she is safe and back.

Now that truly would be a terrifying experience, and like you say thank god she got away.

Yes, it's safe to take taxi's not if the following applies to you (especially women):

1) You have no clue to the roads here.
2) You're alone
3) May it be day or night time be very careful as the incident above took place daylight.

Thank you for sharing.  That's what I was worried about, being taken somewhere.

When I told about this incident to my local friends, you will not imagine what they had to say!?! They said ahh it's normal this can happen, maybe because the taxi driver forgot something at home like the taxi papers or something!!! I told him what about not replying and being angry at the passenger, to which they said come on man they don't speak english how do you expect them to explain they are heading home to get their car papers.

I was like WTF in my head thinking and the guy said it's normal and shrug it off!!! To me it's F'ed up!!!

Thanks for all the information shared here. No matter where you are one needs to be careful and use common sense. Some places more than others. Definitely one has to be more cautious here given what has been discussed above.

expatlibya wrote:

I have been using taxis in Libya for the past 4 years and haven't faced any problems (except for demand for higher fare than the usual rate and some extremely chatty taxi drivers). I would advise you to avoid taking taxis after dark & to remote places. Also avoid taking taxis if you don't know the way. If you know the roads well there shouldn't be a problem, especially for short distances in busy areas. (Inshallah!!)

Exactly.

aunaturale try this:
europcar-libya.com/index.htm

I think I still have the number of a taxi that has fluffy pillows and tv screens, if anyones interested

:rolleyes:

SarahMK wrote:

I think I still have the number of a taxi that has fluffy pillows and tv screens, if anyones interested

Are they a good driver?

I wouldn't ever opt for these TV taxis from a safety aspect, because I'm sure they watch along on the front seat while driving.

im a female and i have been using the same taxi driver for the past 6 or so months and i have nothing but good things to say abt him. He is decent, reliable, does not drive like a maniac, is not a pervert, and well-priced. I use him on a daily basis and ive not had any problems. I've also recommended him to others, and they are all pleased with him. The only thing is that he doesnt speak english, but if you tell him where to pick you up from and where to drop u off at, he understands. If anyone wants his number, feel free to PM me.

Sea Angel wrote:
SarahMK wrote:

Are they a good driver?

He's quite fast, if you're alright with that.

Come to think of it I have no idea if he speaks English or not, but I can ask.