Cost of living in England

ttqtck11 :offtopic:

Some time ago, I wrote a post about the cost of living okinuk.co.uk/My-Money/Cost-of-Living.html . In my case, I was living in Notting Hill, zone 2. I hope it helps...

franstef wrote:

Hi !

cost of living in Wolverhampton (West Midlands, 20mn far away from Birmingham by train) :

> accommodation prices
share house (one housemate), £250 per month (15-20mn far away from the city centre by foot)

> public transportation fares
bus (for an adult person) £1,5 single ticket (more than 2 stops otherwise : 1,1), £3 day saver (for all the day), £2 night saver (fare from 6pm)
all fares and journeys can be found to the following websites :
http://www.travelwm.co.uk/http://www.travelinemidlands.co.uk/

> food prices
asda (for two people) £240

> health prices /none

> eduction prices /none

> energy prices
not already received utility bills !

> common bills
Internet : 3G key with three (cost of the key : £50) / top up £10= 1GB allowance, £15= 3GB, £20= 7GB for 30 days television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant
£15-20 per person (except wine)

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub
coffee : average of £1,1-1,3
beer : average £3-4

> price of the cinema
£6 per adult

INTERESTING!!!!!
Can anyone update the costs? Thanks a Million !

We can see that the best way toi survive in London is to save money from the rent!
Rooms to rent in London.

(moderated: off topic + please post in the classifieds)

Tunbridge Wells, Kent

> accommodation prices - rent a 1 bedroom flat, no parking/garden £600 per month - lower costs the further out of town centre you go, this is about 5 mins walk from centre.

> food - for one around £160 

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...) - peak one day travelcard from Tunbridge Wells to London central stations is £35, of peak was £19 last time I bought.

> health prices - health insurance with Aviva @ £45 per month (varies depending on supplier and package, this is standard coverage)

> common bills - internet £15 per month, council tax £112 per month (Depending on property value, based on a 1 bed flat)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant - can really vary depending where you go! Standard casual every day restaurant i'd say Starter £5-12, Main £10-£25, Desert £5-10 but Tunbridge Wells has alot of upmarket restaurants where prices are considerably higher!

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub - £3.20 for a beer, £2-£3 for coffee depending on size

> price of the cinema - £8 standard adult

It really does depend where in the country you live, but London is by far the priceyist! And Brighton is not too far off

hi this is lorraine
i originate from liverpool but currently living in derby. the accomadation to rent is cheaper as its north about 400 a month the more south you go eg midlands,london etc a small flat is about 500 plus per month. the food drinks travel are also costly. be much cheaper if shared accomadation in student areas. but all depends what you after x

what about Cambridge? is it less expensive than london?
I've been offered a job for 2700/month net salary is it possible to live with my wife in cambridge with that money? probably she will also find a job and add additional 2000/month, but for now we should start with 2700.
is it really that bad?

Hi there:)
I can see that the prices vary a lot depending on the part of the country...I have a B&B for few weeks, and looking for a flat atm in oxfordshire( carterton- witney area) I have calculated that I should add about 300 GBP to my rent to cover the usual costs( water, electr.,internet, council tax etc)Now I stared to wonder if the estimation is about right?

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Actually there is a very good website Cost Of Living - NUMBEO where you can compare cost of living, property prices, crime rate in different countries and cities around the world. It is very accurate, as real people submitting the information.
e.g. you can compare prices in London & Kuala Lumpur for soft drinks, food, wine etc etc

Hello everyone,

It's great info thanks All :cool:

Regards
AMMAR

I am a Chinese student and now  study in UK, I find it's quite expensive to call back home. Can you recommend a cheap way to make an international call? Any help appreciated.:)

For telephone, if you have the Internet, you can use skype to contact people all over the world conveniently. I only know this way. Is there other ways to make cheap phone calls? Hope to know. Thx everybody.

I am a Chinese too.
I have studyed in UK several years ago.
I have found an international cheap call called YESdial.
You can have a try.
And SKYPE is also a cheap way to have an international call.
You can choose one which you like.
:lol:

lijiesong wrote:

I am a Chinese student and now  study in UK, I find it's quite expensive to call back home. Can you recommand a cheap way to make an international call? Any help appreciated.:)

I'm in Torquay, Devon.....

My rent is £475 for a one bedroomed flat, includes a large double bedroom, very large lounge, a decent sized kitchen, bathroom and utility room. And front/back gardens.

Food wise it's just me so I can usually spent around 40-60 pounds a month.

Travel I don't use public transport as I'm near to town anyway, but getting to and from work for a month is approx. £40 petrol.

Water rates is about £350 for ten months inc. single persons discount which I was entitled to with proof on the council tax form... Council tax £69 per month, electric roughly £20 per month, gas £38 per month.

Tv and Internet/phone is £29 & £23 per month.

Meal cost between £5-£15 there are some bargains out there.

Health cost is NHS for UK residents.

Films are around £6-£7 you can also get good deals at the local cinemas.

London is so much expensive.

HI, I live in Melbourne Australia, and would love to know the answers to your questions too, because I ideally would love to relocate in England. Hope to get some replies

[moderated: off topic.]

Hi everyone.

The information posted are helpful snd interesting. Looks like they are outdated for me, though. Can anyone give me the same info for the current year, 2014? Say in the heart of London where businesses and financial companies thrive. Thanks in advance!

Jelinandre wrote:

Hi everyone.

The information posted are helpful snd interesting. Looks like they are outdated for me, though. Can anyone give me the same info for the current year, 2014? Say in the heart of London where businesses and financial companies thrive. Thanks in advance!

Try this website www.numbeo.com

Thank you!

The cost of living in the UK appears quite high but it's proportionate with the wages we earn. I've worked abroad a lot and believe me, our prices are fair compared to many other countries. Petrol is probably the main offender. Outside of London rental prices aren't bad. Oh and £27,000 is not such a bad wage in London.