Opening a bank account in Nepal

I don't think you can transfer from Paypal to a Nepali bank, but you could transfer it to your American account, take the money out at the ATM (there are two good banks for tourists-listed in the book) and then put it manually into the bank here.

Bank transfers can take 30 days. Can you get to a Standard Chartered Bank? If so, they have one here so you should get the account there. It would make your banking issues go away completely. No ATM charges, etc.

"Closest" Standard Chartered Bank branch is 800 miles away in San Francisco, so not practical.

Am experienced traveler, so know how to navigate ATM field. Just seeking easiest and most economical method for transferring funds.  What if you go to Nepal bank and get cash advance (with significant amount for long term use) with Visa card to deposit in Nepal account.  How would fees charged compare to ATM fees (my bank limits ATM withdrawals to $300 USD per transaction).

Hi, I sent you a message, just trying to learn how to get around this site.  :D

It's actually $4 per transaction, but you cannot get a bank account in Nepal with a tourist visa. But there is one bank that I know of that can do Visa transactions without international fees, it's in my book, and one Mastercard ATM that allows $300 per transaction so it saves you the two transaction fees. There are some banks online that you can open accounts with, also. I think the best way is to check for senior/student/credit union/fraternity type accounts with banks that will remove the international charges.

Check out this blog post for more info on banking: http://frugaltravelsnepal.blogspot.com/ … ghout.html

Nabil bank allowed me to open an account with a tourist visa; however, the account is frozen whenever my tourist visa is expired.  I can still wire money into the account, and it will re-open whenever I return to Nepal with a valid visa (after physically checking back in with the same branch)

Sometimes and some banks do allow tourists to open an account, but the rules seem to change at the whim of those pulling the strings. I think it's best to get your banking issues resolved before coming here. There are several international banks that will allow you to access your money here without ATM charges.

Nepali banks are on the Swift code and they tell me that bank transfers can take a very long time to complete and even cashing a check will take 30 days. I think for most people's needs, it's best to just bring debit cards from more than one bank; then you can transfer money as needed and more importantly, access it as needed.

One note on Chase bank:  They do have two checking accounts that allow for some ATM access without an added fee, but those are their more premier accounts that charge more for regular service (or require more cash reserve). Their most common checking account (with less minimum cash reserve and lower monthly fee) still charges for ATM access.

can i as indian citizen open a bank account in nepal?

thank you very much for your promt reply and cooperation. i will pay and deposit through my
visa debit card at a selected bank.       
regards,                                         siraj ray

open bank acaunt

just stoped to say hello from some one who also lived in vegas

banks charge 3 % i  usa of total sum. plus a 30 usd transfer charge plus exchange rate

There are no longer several banks that don't charge international charges. There is one that takes visa that doesn't charge, and one Mastercard ATM that allows more per pull, but things have changed quite a bit.

I tried to open a bank account at Himalayan Bank and went through the entire process and then the guy asked me for some ridiculous amount, as if I walk around with $300-400 on me. He seemed genuinely surprised when I told him I didn't bring that much money with me.

Can i open my account from abroad

I want to open account in himalayan bank limited can i.

I am just gonna be open the bank account  in the Nepal bank so could you please tell me the instructions and what kind of documents are required.

I am an American Citizen, married to Nepalese woman.  2 years ago, we opened a bank account to test the system.  In December of 2013, we went to America for 20 months.  On our return in July of this year, we were informed the laws had changed and I could no longer be on a bank account, even my wife's. 

Depending on which country you are from, your situation may be different.

I tried to open an account at Standard Chartered and a couple other banks on New Road in Pokhara. They flat out said they don't open accounts for Americans due to the FACTA tax law that was passed in the US and, basically, the banks in Nepal don't want the paperwork hassle. This may be different for a business account or direct deposit retirement account but for the staying for 10 months a year option, no.