How long can you drive on a uk license?

Can I remain on a uk license or do I need to exchange to Hungarian? If so what is the process. Thanks

Hello marcbloom,

I invite you to read this post talking about driving licence in Hungary :

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=57594

You may find answers to your question.

Regards

Kenjee

I changed to a Hungarian licence because the photo expired on my UK one. It is a simple enough process but you must first go to a doctor for a medical check. Mine was a very basic examination, he just checked my blood pressure and gave me an eyesight test. It helps if the doctor speaks English, as some of the letters on the eyesight test  are pronounced differently in Hungarian. I then went to a local office where forms were filled, they took my photo and I handed in my old licence. In theory you can go back there and exchange your Hungarian licence for your old UK one if you return permanently to UK but in my case the UK one was expired anyway. Make sure your new licence has the same groups as the old one. I was a bit worried when they asked me what is the biggest vehicle I'm going to be driving. I replied "3.5 tonnes" as I have a van of that size but I found they had not changed my entitlement, so I could still drive a 7.5 tonne lorry with trailer if needed.

Thanks for the information as I have been reading on the internet and it seemed a difficult and expensive thing to do. Do you know if you can still drive on your uk license for a year?

Thanks again for your information

Marc

Thanks Kenjee