Conversations

Hello All:
I would really like to meet other single men and women in the 55-60 age range who are considering moving to Mexico when they retire.  I have a daughter who will be graduating high school in a couple of years and I am looking at leaving the USA if the right situation presents itself.  I live in Seattle (originally from the East Coast).  I have always wanted a warm climate near the ocean and I need to live on a budget!  Finding common ground with others with these thoughts would be great.  Perhaps finding a sustainable living community or building one or just getting property together.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Arlene

Welcome to Expat.com Arlene!;)

Harmonie

Welcome Arlene:
My name is Diane and I have moved to Bucerias, Mexico to retire. Originally, I went to Puerto Vallarta for a vacation and fell in love with this area.  The Pacific Ocean became my lover!  I decided that PV was too large of a community for me so I went in search of a smaller town.  That is when I found Bucerias.  The day I arrived, I made friends.  This town is an artist's dream location and here the people are so friendly.  Some people I met here told me of an apartment available and as soon as I saw it I was hooked.  I had to play out my lease in PV, so I have just moved here to Bucerias the first of March. This town is quiet and peaceful with many expats from Canada and some from the States.  You may want to look into it and come for a visit sometime.

I would be very leery of meeting someone online to live with or go into purchasing property with.  I think it safer to go it alone until you arrive somewhere and then you may meet people and make friends.  There are a lot of single women in Mexico, so don't feel afraid of being alone. Bucerias is a good town for retired people because it is so laid back.  If you are interested further, I can send you some info on it and help you along.

From one woman alone to another - You will be just fine down here.

Hello Diane-
How nice of you to get back to me!  I will definitely check out Bucerias and write you after I do some research.  Yes, I do not plan on just finding single people online and then make plans!  I would like, however, to find like-minded men and women who would like to continue conversation and find times to meet socially and discuss our thoughts.  I just turned 60 and my daughter will be leaving for college in two years.  She wants to go to California.  So if I move to Mexico, I won't be far away!  Where did you move from and how long have you been in Mexico?
Best,
Arlene

Hi Arlene- I live in Port Townsend, WA and considering moving to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico .I am 62 and a retired teacher from California. I too want a warmer climate and have a new experience living in another country- Mexico seems right and San Miguel seems like the kind of place that I would enjoy. Anyway- if you are ever in Port Townsend let me know and we could go for coffee and chat. Take care.

hi rubytue60 - there is a cooperative community about 10 miles from san miguel - check out
simplechoicefarm.com - it looks like a good place to land and learn while you ponder options : ) keep us posted on how it goes. my husband and i are researching retirement in SMA and will visit there soon.  best wishes - abigail

Hi Arlene,
My name is Jim.From Florida,I've been trying
to get to Mex,for 3 years.Finally made it,
crossed the border on March 13,2013.
I'm an older single man.From the border I went
to Monterry then to CDVictory then to LaPesca on the
East Coast then to CDMente and Tepic and Puerto Vallarta.
Ended up in Manzanillo after 6 days of driving and wore
out. So I rented a Apartment for 30 days.To recoupe,My goal
is to find a place to retire.I'm also on limited income,the
Apt.cost me $280US month. Next week I will go to the Lake Chapala
area to view it, after that I don't know, until I find the place
I like.So far I really like Mex. The People are really friendly.
I don't speak Spanish. I've learned Aqua-Heilo,they pronounce it
yellow!One day I had to go to my cooler and get a ice cube to show them!But I always get what I need after a few hand jestures
and some people speak a little bit of Eng.They hold up 2 fingers!
It's a lot of fun for me to mix,with the locals!
Well that's a little bit of my first two weeks here.And I have had no problems,just have to get used to the da^+ Taxi cabs.
If I can help in anyway it would be a pleasure.------Jim

Hello "PJrules."  What is your name?    I am so sorry I did not get back to you sooner.  Thank you for welcoming me to the forum.   It has been a year since I saw your note!  Are you still in Pt. Townsend?    I am going to start a "meet-up" group for others who may want to travel to Mexico with me for a 2-month trip down the Pacific to look at property, get to know some local people, and converse with ex-pats.   If you are interested in joining the group and/or meeting, do let me know.   Arlene

Hi Jjim, I was in Playa Del Carmen, now in San Miguel and would love to hear of your findings in Lake Chapala! I heard you need a vehicle? I am looking for a more laid back and fun crowd than here but keep the amazing weather!!

jas39 wrote:

Hi Arlene,
My name is Jim.From Florida,I've been trying
to get to Mex,for 3 years.Finally made it,
crossed the border on March 13,2013.
I'm an older single man.From the border I went
to Monterry then to CDVictory then to LaPesca on the
East Coast then to CDMente and Tepic and Puerto Vallarta.
Ended up in Manzanillo after 6 days of driving and wore
out. So I rented a Apartment for 30 days.To recoupe,My goal
is to find a place to retire.I'm also on limited income,the
Apt.cost me $280US month. Next week I will go to the Lake Chapala
area to view it, after that I don't know, until I find the place
I like.So far I really like Mex. The People are really friendly.
I don't speak Spanish. I've learned Aqua-Heilo,they pronounce it
yellow!One day I had to go to my cooler and get a ice cube to show them!But I always get what I need after a few hand jestures
and some people speak a little bit of Eng.They hold up 2 fingers!
It's a lot of fun for me to mix,with the locals!
Well that's a little bit of my first two weeks here.And I have had no problems,just have to get used to the da^+ Taxi cabs.
If I can help in anyway it would be a pleasure.------Jim

Had to help you out with the ice cubes... It's cubo de hielo pronounced koobo day ealo. The h is dropped and the i is said as e, which does make the word sound a little like yellow.

Hola Watski,
I am living in Cabo San Lucas and have been for the past 20 years. This is not the place to retire. You had mentioned Lake Chapala, I will be traveling there next week and have been for most of the time I have been in Mexico. I do plan on retiring there, it is one of the few places you have many retirees from either the states, Canada, and Europe. It is affordable and the people are great, and you are a short distance from a grand city, Guadalajara!!! It is always something to consider being close to a city where if you need medical attention you can get it easily! We always hope that this will never happen, but its good to be prepared. Before you do anything I think it a good idea to try a short stay in Lake Chapala, Ajijic!
Jim