Construction work in Bali

Hi I'm very interested in working and moving my family to Bali. I'm a qualified carpenter, I run a business here in melbourne and I also have supervisor/manager experience can anyone help me with finding work or contacts.

Cheers matt

Matt, you won't be able to find legal work in your field here in Bali because there are plenty enough qualified Indonesian builders and carpenters. 

Your best bet, and truly your only option, would be to set up a business here.

Good luck.

I would love to do that. I was there only a few weeks ago and noticed a bit of work around where I aS staying nusa dua. My ideal would be to introduce ways we build here in oz into bali. Teach balanese safer and easier ways to build. Do you have any suggestions how I can get in touch with builders or how I could get my business clients

“My ideal would be to introduce ways we build here in oz into bali.”

Good God, that's the last thing we need.  There is already enough ugly architecture here!  :o

Seriously, you'll find that most of the regencies on Bali now operate with strict building codes, including what is acceptable, and what isn't acceptable, in architectural designs. 

“Teach balanese safer and easier ways to build.”

You might well find that here in Bali the teacher most often ends up being the student.  After all, the Balinese have been building on Bali for over a thousand years.  Moreover, most often there is a cultural/religious significance in how a building is put up, as well as with its design.

Hello, I'm new to this Forum, and having just had a look at your website under your picture (The Virtual Tourist - I think?) I wonder whether you are the same man who I "met" (in the virtual since!) over 15 years ago on a Forum run by an odd and possibly dangerous man?   Anyway, I have nothing to do with him whatsoever, and don't even know where he is - but I digress... My husband and I have been coming to Bali for MANY MANY years, and have a small investment in a house in Ubud, and another in Pemuteran, and we are presently (it's taking a LONG time) embarking on a small eco place in the North West of Bali just outside Melaya.   This, as we live in England and only visit Bali once or twice a year) is proving to be a challenge!! (Understatement!)   I'm really looking for somebody on the ground who might know answers to questions that I have.   Your pages on Virtual Tourist are extremely interesting, Bali is a hard place to describe to people who haven't experienced it, and of course that experience comes on many levels, some never get to first base. I do know a lot about Bali, but would not claim to be an expert, you'd have to live there full time, as you do, to be that.  I need mostly answers to practical problems, but am worried that you are much too busy a man to be bothered with such things?   Also my questions would largely be based on subjects around the words "sustainable" and "eco" etc.   If you don't think you can help me with these things please just tell me to go away, or if you think you might be able to help please just ask me to "fire away"!   Thanks.

I'm probably not the best person to help you as I spend most my energy these days trying to put a lid on exactly what you are trying to do here in Bali…i.e., more and more commercial villa development.

With my brother in law having just been re-elected to the DPRD with a large majority vote we will both be very busy pushing our mutual agenda…clamping down on illegal foreign workers on Bali, clamping down on wanton commercial land development and implementation of more comprehensive regulations controlling commercial land development on Bali.

I have to agree with ubudian (again).
Overdevelopment causes massive problems for the locals and destroys the place anyway.
I've spent a little time looking at old Bali, comparing it with the developed areas.
No way would I want to go those places.
They look a mess, full of drunken idiots.

I too applaud what Ubudian is doing.  :cheers:

Yes, I agree with you both, and I know that everybody says BUT for their own case.   However  :) we have ALL the proper paper work (it took almost three years to get) it's absolutely tiny,(was going to be 7 small villas but probably not that anymore - lack of money!) and people were starting to build on that beach, better that our small place is there than some others that rip up all the vegetation on the edge of the beach, and build right on top.   Also ours is not taking the electricity from the locals, we are solar powered, and they DESPERATELY need work up there , it is not a rice growing area, and a LOT of the locals have to go to Denpasar for work which means they only get home for ceremonies and some sleep occasionally.   Also the reef desperately needed regeneration, and there was no money for this without SOME development.  Its a terribly difficult thing really, if you build ANYTHING on virgin areas then obviously you change it, which is MORE than a shame, but  :) I worry about what will happen to these areas when the south is full i.e.: NOW.   I'm really pleased that you are doing something about the terrible overcrowding in the south, and am fully behind you in your work on that score.   I urge both of you to go and have a look at the North West though, and tell me what the hell can be done up there BEFORE things get out of hand there too, and what can be done to stop people without proper permission building and TAKING from the locals.   Our project will never give us anything, but I think you'll find that it does give to that Banjar, and probably the Desa too.   Shouldn't somebody be keeping an eye on places that CAN be saved, I personally think its too late for the south, and I'm VERY worried about Ubud too.   Interested in what you both think.

“…and I know that everybody says BUT for their own case.”

By that you're implying that everyone who is against over-commercial development on Bali has probably done so themselves.  Speaking for myself I have never been engaged in a villa development for commercial use. 

“…better that our small place is there than some others that rip up all the vegetation on the edge of the beach, and build right on top.”

I'm of the mind that what would be optimal is that nothing gets built there.  I never think this ever needs to get to considering the lesser of two evils.

“…and they DESPERATELY need work up there , it is not a rice growing area, and a LOT of the locals have to go to Denpasar for work which means they only get home for ceremonies and some sleep occasionally.”

The locals in western Bali have managed well enough for hundreds of years without foreigners coming in to develop their land and “create jobs” for them.   But I'm curious, aren't these Balinese from western Bali allowed to sleep in Denpasar while not at work?  Moreover it is quite common for Balinese to be employed in areas of Bali which are of some distance from their ancestral village. 

“Also the reef desperately needed regeneration, and there was no money for this without SOME development.”

Hold on now.  There are plenty of reef development projects on Bali that don't go hand in hand with property development. 

“ I'm really pleased that you are doing something about the terrible overcrowding in the south…”

We are not doing a blessed thing about the overcrowding in southern Bali.  That area is of absolutely no interest to us, and for a reason you've already mentioned…it's already too late.   

“I urge both of you to go and have a look at the North West though, and tell me what the hell can be done up there BEFORE things get out of hand there too, and what can be done to stop people without proper permission building and TAKING from the locals.”

Speaking only for my brother in law and myself, we have been out there quite a number of times, and we'll be there again during the late first week of May.  As far as people building without proper permissions, with all do respect that's not something you need to worry about. 

“Shouldn't somebody be keeping an eye on places that CAN be saved?”

It's happening, have no worries about that.  And don't worry if you see something horrible that gets built that's in violation either.  I could take you to quite a number of projects that are in the process of being torn down, on temporary hold, or will be torn down once completed.  The Balinese have a funny knack of waiting until a project is totally completed before laying out the bad news.  Why do it that way?  Simple.  It keeps the construction related jobs going even when it's known the project will never be allowed to last.  And quite possibly, those same workers, or at least some of them, may find themselves additionally employed to take down that which they just put up.   

One new law that might well become effective here in Bali as early as next year will be aimed at putting a lid on foreign investment on property in Bali for commercial purposes.  In reality this will be accomplished by several Provincial laws…some with the intention of restricting the legal usages of land, (tougher zoning), establishment of more protected land mass areas, and a requirement that any foreign owner or leaser of developed property who doesn't personally occupy the property for at least 6 months a year, and sublets that property for profit when not in Bali, will be subject to obtaining a work permit and be registered as a business, and of course also be subject to business tax.   There are some similar types of laws already in place in some Regencies of Bali.

"I'm of the mind that what would be optimal is that nothing gets built there.  I never think this ever needs to get to considering the lesser of two evils."
I totally agree with you, but the fact is that it was happening,( other people building) and I was assured that they had no permission(s) however some have been there for over two years and although I was assured that they WOULD be pulled down as they had built almost ON the beach, they are still standing!

"The locals in western Bali have managed well enough for hundreds of years without foreigners coming in to develop their land and “create jobs” for them.   But I'm curious, aren't these Balinese from western Bali allowed to sleep in Denpasar while not at work?  Moreover it is quite common for Balinese to be employed in areas of Bali which are of some distance from their ancestral village."
This is also VERY true, however I'm not sure that THEY think they have managed well enough.... and as for being able to sleep in Denpasar or Kuta or wherever they work, of course they can that is why they have little or no time at home except for ceremonies or sleep...not a very nice situation for people I'm sure you would agree?  I'm not sure what exactly has changed in that area recently, but I'm sort of thinking that it might be the success of Pemuteran - so near, yet so far - which has made everybody think they could do the same, and whilst Pemuteran has not been totally spoilt YET, I'm not holding my breath on that one, the explosion of building there is getting quite huge.  I'm already in the mindset of wondering whether we are doing the right thing, it's just that I KNOW it's going to happen and not in a good way, so I suppose we thought we might at last save a really tiny little bit of that beach from total destruction.   I really don't know the answer to Bali's building problems, or should I say "overbuilding problems".   It's not easy to get proper permission, but there seem to be people that are prepared to go ahead without it everywhere on the Island, I meet new people every time I go to Bali who are doing it or have done it, and I just think there are SO many illegal buildings that I wonder whether it will ever stop.   Keeping on the tail of illegal workers will help I know, but even people who I know have been going to Bali for years simply don't bother to read ANYTHING about what they are allowed to do and what they are not,(work wise OR building wise) it simply leaves me breathless with astonishment :/

"One new law that might well become effective here in Bali as early as next year will be aimed at putting a lid on foreign investment on property in Bali for commercial purposes.  In reality this will be accomplished by several Provincial laws…some with the intention of restricting the legal usages of land, (tougher zoning), establishment of more protected land mass areas, and a requirement that any foreign owner or leaser of developed property who doesn't personally occupy the property for at least 6 months a year, and sublets that property for profit when not in Bali, will be subject to obtaining a work permit and be registered as a business, and of course also be subject to business tax.   There are some similar types of laws already in place in some Regencies of Bali."

Yes, I know this, and am fairly certain our area is subject to these new laws, anyway we are a company, and subject to Tax and although we are not living there and do not work we now have to have a Kitas (non working one - forget the name)  Actually we have (for some reason best known to the Local authorities we have 3 Hotel permissions :unsure and only three buildings so far and one is not ours (long story!)

Ubidian,
I'am an indonesian woman and I lived since 17 years in France.
I like to go build an center where the young adultes of Bali can
do theire stage of work. Its like an school where they can have
a work experience. So I wanted to create an 'center wellbeing'
where you can do the cursus Tai Chi and Qi Gong, have differentes
massages ( Tuina, Shiatsu, Ayurvedique), have meals bio and naturelle
with vegetables from our own garden bio, and drinks jus from our own
fruit trees.
So this will give a lot of possibilitys for us to create work for the locals
and theyre children to have work experience.

I have 30 years management experience in the social, tourisme, traveling and
humanitaire. I speak 5 languages and I know about the indonesian culture.

Do you think this will be a good project?

Overall your project sounds very desirable, especially in the more impoverished areas of Bali, viz, eastern and northern areas. 

Google this Yayasan outside of Singaraja and on your next visit up that way you might want to stop by and see what they do:

Peduli Sesama Philanthropic Work

Good luck with your ideas!  :top:

I really must stop agreeing with everything Ubudian posts. :)

Anything that helps local people develop skills sound like a good idea.

Thank you Ubudian,
I will be in october in Bali with an groupe france tourist.
I will certainly visit this yayasan.

I realy hope to find entreprises who want to invest in to this
social project. I believe that we can combine business with
social work, so that every one can profit and not only
the riche tourist but also the local people. the tourist is 'gast'
in theire homeland, so the local people has to have the profit
also.

My Balinese wife and I have worked with this group for many years, so let me know when you're on Bali and I can arrange the Director to show you around.

Cheers!

Thank you very much.
I will surely contact you
before my departure here.

how can I contact you?
my mail is: [email protected]

Just make sure you get receipts for all the sponsorship you do and make sure that you have an agreement in writing for what your sponsorship is used for.

Better safe than sorry!

That's SOP for Peduli Sesama Philanthropic Work.

Have you ever had a bad experience with a Yayasan in Bali Indostocks, or any experience with any Yayasan in Bali?

Since 9 years I'am the president of an NGO in France
and director of an Lembaga Panti Asuhan à Sumatra
and we never had any difficulty whatever. My accountant
is very strict and we are allways up to date.

I have been coming to Bali for over 30 Yrs on business.and now been thinking Ubud might be the place I would like to spend a few months of the year. I am looking at a villa to buy or prefereably to biuld and live in and rent for the time im not there. Any ideas on the possibility of building in Ubud.?  Is the lease situation there a safe bet...?

Good luck with your venture!

Indogee, since you've been coming to Bali for many years , then you are likely already aware of Ubud as the cultural heart of Bali.

There is a large expat community here, including many Australians, and yes, the lease situation is very much squared away.

As your plan is to lease out your villa when you're not in Bali, (the majority of the year),
keep in mind that this now requires a business license, and payment of taxes.  The entire Gianyar Regency is tightening up on commercial land development before things get too far out of hand.   

"I hear that he works for a couple of bowls of curry and rice...."

I come much cheaper than that for folks who are polite, well behaved and disinclined to act like a monkey!   :D

Ubudian,
Thanks for the reply. Im still not decided exactly which way to go as far as buying, leasing. building etc.
I have heard that in Gianyar /Ubud it is much easy to get a building permit with a lease than with owning the land. Is this the case.? I would also like to get some info on possibilities to sub dived or split a block of land to 2 tittles in the future.

Unless you are Indonesian, you can't buy land anywhere in Indonesia, but if you're married to an Indonesian then your spouse can buy land.

Some villages in Gianyar have adapted new adat regulations requiring anyone in the village trying to unload their land to first offer it to someone in the village, or, if to an outsider, not to sell but rather only to lease the land. 

From my experience, and the experiences of others that I know, it doesn't make a difference regarding building permits whether the land is owned or leased.  I can say that it is a lot tougher to get a building permit in Gianyar Regency these days than in years past.  For example, no more building in rice fields, and what you build (architect's plans) is also important...requirements that the building(s) are close to traditional Balinese style.

Finally, yes, anyone holding land hak milik can sub-divide that property, and new hak milik land deeds re-issued.

Ubudian wrote:

Unless you are Indonesian, you can't buy land anywhere in Indonesia, but if you're married to an Indonesian then your spouse can buy land.

But only if you have a prenup, stating you do not have any ownership rights to land bought by your wife/husband.
All marriage property in Indonesia is owned 50/50 so, if you don't have a prenup,you automatically own half - illegal in this country.
Saying that, I've yet to hear of a case where land has been taken by the government for this reason. That, even if it has never happened, doesn't mean it can't.