Moving to Cambodia without job, Am I crazy?

Hi everyone,

First at all, I would like to thank you, if you are reading this ;)
I am Spanish, I am living in Manchester for 2 years and I am seriously thinking about going to Cambodia.
The point is that I don't have any job (I am applying for it) I have no visa yet (I don't know either, if it's so difficult to renovate it).

So, I would like to ask if it is absolutely insane try to go to Camdodia and apply there.
I am an economist, I have more than 5 years of experience in my field (even abroad).

Again, thanks

Ruben Barbera

I'm moving there in feb with no job.  I have 5 college degrees a masters being the highest level and I hope to find a job upon arrival.

Moving without the slightest idea what you're going to do is totally insane - and a great adventure.

Life would be seriously dull if we didn't do wild things from time to time.

christopher barber wrote:

I'm moving there in feb with no job.  I have 5 college degrees a masters being the highest level and I hope to find a job upon arrival.

Wow....very confident.

And what kind of job you think you will get upon arrival ?

Well, first of all NEITHER of you are "moving" anywhere with or without a job. The very best you can hope for unless you break all immigration laws is to be able to stay for 6 months (maximum) in any given year as a tourist in MOST countries. To stay longer than 6 months, and even less in some countries, you require a visa that permits you to work in the country. Traditionally, these are difficult to obtain in most countries, they are surrounded with insane bureaucracy, rules, procedures that drive most of us expats crazy.

The only way you are able to stay longer than that in most countries is become a permanent resident or obtain a work visa. Permanency in many countries usually involves either marrying on of their citizens, having a child there, or investing money in the country or starting a business there.

Sounds like you both need to get a lot of ducks in a row yet.

Oh yes, and you had best check if you can even apply for a work visa from within the country and what the process would be (if you can apply). Many countries do not permit applications from within the country, you may have to leave and apply through the Consulate at home.

teaching

I chose Cambodia because they have very little red tape in obtaining work visas

teaching

Perhaps you should go thru the message from wjwoodward, at least you will have a better idea

I chose Cambodia because they have very little red tape in obtaining work visas

What do you mean by little red tape ?

Check your visa (if Consular visa is required) or immigrations regulations for Visa Waiver Program entries into any country. Working or studying in most nations on a Tourist Visa is strictly prohibited. There are separate category visas for work and for study in almost every nation on earth. In many countries you will be deported if you are found working with the wrong category visa.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

AS most of us that post on this board know, a business visa is easy to get - you can get one for 30 days when you arrive in Cambodia. This type of visa can  be renewed for up to 1 year, just go to any travel agency, pay the fee (around $300) and give them your passport. It will come back with a new visa attached. Many ex-pats come here to retire this way. I have been doing this for 4 years now with no problem. Working is another issue. I am on Social Security, and don't need to work.
Good luck in your venture.

Starcy I think you know a lot in economic because you have 5 experience in this. You think good if you don't have a job you can not learn money for tourist or stay in Cambodia you just can see but yon can not happy , because you don't have money for pay. but you think you will help in Cambodia on volunteer on NGO or help people by take a few profit for enough living. I think you good as well as everything that I think. Thank you.

While it is true that it is very difficult to move to most countries without a job and an employer sponsor, this is NOT true of Cambodia.  I did have a job before I went but  there is no sponsor requirement and everyone does it about the same whether you have a job or not.  You arrive at the airport, ask for a business visa rather than a tourist visa, it's good for 30 days and in that 30 days you just apply for a 1 year business visa.  They don't care if you are working or not and they never asked me. Make sure you apply for the extension in time so your 30 days don't run out. 

Have enough money to sustain yourself for a while.  Wages of very low in Cambodia compared to the west but prices are reasonable.  Like everywhere, the way to get a job is through networking so get out and meet people, be professional and respect the culture.  Cambodia is overrun by slacker backpackers that just come to "hang out".  That's fine but it gives Cambodians an impression that a lot of us westerners are like that.  Frankly, I found that a lot of us go there because they can't make it anywhere else.  You can get high and/or drunk every night, buy prostitutes and still get away with it because you're a westerner.  The culture doesn't have such a strong work ethic and it can be very tempting to get sucked into it.  You'll find what you look for.

Thanks to everyone for the information but finally I got a job in Sri Lanka, so I am gonna move there.
Very kind everyone.

Hi I dont have any constructive advise however I say "follow your heart" good luck warmly Annie

Are Tuk Tuk drivers reliable to drive one around to look at properties, both commercial and residential in Phnom penh  I will be a new arrival looking to rent either of these properties and have heard that this system works quite well, i'm still undecided about real estate agents after reading about some peoples experiences, I really do not need any  unforeseen hitches with agents early in the piece!

geoffreynielsen wrote:

Are Tuk Tuk drivers reliable to drive one around to look at properties, both commercial and residential in Phnom penh  I will be a new arrival looking to rent either of these properties and have heard that this system works quite well, i'm still undecided about real estate agents after reading about some peoples experiences, I really do not need any  unforeseen hitches with agents early in the piece!

Hi Geoff, I think it's not a good idea to hunt for properties without an agent.  And there is no obligation to any agent if you don't find their properties portfolio suitable.  Realtors such as IPS and Yonghap are 2 of the bests in Phnom Penh.

May be you like this one..... http://www.ips-cambodia.com/properties/ … kara-5819/

Regards,
Philip