Irish - Relocating to Cape Town in July 2011

Hi, I'm Irish and will be relocating to Cape Town in July with my wife (who is a South African citizen). I will be entering the country on a Two Year Residence Visa. I am interested in networking with fellow expats; getting any advice on employment opportunities and any info on recruitment agencies you may have used/experience with. My background is in Account Management/Sales within the Telecom industry (11 Years Experience). I have been traveling to Cape Town for the past 7 years and love the city. I'm really looking forward to the move. Will also be seeking rental accommodation to start off with. Any advise or information is appreciated.

[email protected]

Hi brendancurran,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

Hi Brendan

best of luck with the move...my GF is SA from CPt so we will be making th emove back to CPt as well.

Hope all works out

B

Hi Baz 101,

When are you planning on relocating? Perhaps we can meet up at some stage, Do you have an email address?

Any thoughts on how to approach the job front?

it won't be for a while Brendan....maybe late 2012 as saving € at present and considering the work in CPt , well we are just biding our time... i lov ethe place though....was just over at easter ....did you have many issues getting the 2 yr res visa ? will u be allowed take up work ?

I had no problem with getting the two year Relative Permit, as I was married and had proof of marriage certificate. I had it back within 5 working days. Really quick turnaround by the South African Embassy.

Hi Brendan,

I moved to Cape town in April and I have fallen in love with the city.

Hope your moving plans are going smoothly.

let me know your details I have a friend here who recruits in Cape Town.

Hi tone994

Thank you for your reply.

I fly out on the 21st July and intend to hit the ground as regards the job search asap.

My email address is as follows:

[email protected]

I would very much like to get in contact with your friend in recruitment if you can facilitate.

Thanks,
Brendan.

Hi there,

I'm also moving to CPt in September from Manchester, UK.  I will also be looking for work asap so any contacts please let me know it will be much appreciated.

I will also be looking on building a social network in the area as well so any tips / forums / websites for meeting likeminded people :)

hi, im irish to, im thinking of going to Cape Town but i see the reality in it, the places you would have visited there are set up for the tourism industry, it is totally different living in a country than when you visit on holiday, there is a very high crime rate there, i have seen on the internet that on average one in three south african woman have being raped and one in four men admit to raping a woman, it is common for young school boys to gang rape other young girls as a game, so thats the reality of living there and i suppose you have heard of the farm attacks that happen on a daily basis, where afrikaner farmers are targeted and attacked, some people have said that there are signs of a genocide occuring, if you were black it might not be as dangerous, but i presume you are white which would mean you will stand out on the street in a country that has being treated very bad by wites in aparthied years and which is riddled with crime, Ireland is the safest place on the planet and life here is so layed back and relaxed, why would you want to leave that?

Hi Mike

Thnaks for that informative reply. Have you been to south africa ?

Baz101 wrote:

Hi Mike

Thnaks for that informative reply. Have you been to south africa ?

...LoL

hi Brendan

just wondering if you made the move to SA ? How's things working out for you ? Did you find work etc ?

Regards

Barry

He will likely never see this.

Hi Brendan

Cape Town is a fantastic city - I left in 1978 now living in Galway which I adore. I am hoping to come over in Feb next year.

Contact the link below for further information

ireland.co.za/

All the best in your new surroundings

Richard