Moving to Chiang Mai within 1 1/2 years

Hi all,

My name is Bob...I'm going to move to Chiang Mai within the next 1 1/2 years. I figure that it will take that long to sell both my house and car. I am initially going to rent a furnished apt. or condo for a year, then hopefully buy something.
I already have some information on real estate agents, visas, shipping household goods, international health care plans, retirement visas and communities and banking. What am I missing?

Hi Bob, I'm Jane, just came Chiangmai for like 4 monthes. From my limited experience here, I thought there are not too much thing to worry about, what we have here are only small issues.
Such as do you like Thai food, they may have some funny taste if you don't used to it, for me their Papaya Salad is not my favorite if they put some fish source inside, it taste stinking.
Health care, I know they have both international hospital and local public hospital, both system works quite well.
Visa problem, I know you plan to move here, so you are going to apply retire visa or something else? Once you have visa, then there is no problem for everything. You could get your driver license by taking a small test by holding long term visa. Here drive from another side, so you need take awhile to get to used it. Riding a motorbike is the most convenient way for transportation here, otherwise if you live really outside of the town then you would need a car. By the way, have you decide where are you going to live, if not I could help.
hmmmm, let me think what else are small things but could effect your life here.
Ohh,, the heat here could be extreme high by April-June. And the temperature may have a huge different from November to February, it means it could be so cold at night when cold season. So prepare proper cloth when you are coming.
From my experience, if you could speak a little bit Thai language when you coming if would be better, cuz the local people here may not speak English, especially driver or food seller. At least know how to speak numbers..I'm Chinese, it killing me when I went to local food market to buy things at first beginning because I don't speak Thai at all.
If there is anything ring my bell, I will send to you..
Jane

Hi Jane...Thanks for the response. I'm doing a lot of internet research and I think that I've got most things covered.
I'll be coming for a couple of weeks to check the area out. I should be making arrangements right after I take care of getting a passport.

The language problem will be mitigated by any one of several apps that translate both the typed and written word.
I know that this isn't perfect, but it takes time to learn even a little in the way of foreign language skills.

By the way, how is the burning season this year? I hear that it can get real bad. I hope you're not suffering too much.
Again, thanks for your response.

Bob

Well,,,I understand learning a new language is really difficult since I'm trying by myself now. But what I do is to learn 1 or 2 new words each day, so after while I can order food by myself in Thai,,hahaha, just take it easy.

The burning season is like from the end of March till June, it might reach to 40 degree centigrade and the air condition is not good during this time because some farmers will burn the land so the land wound be ready. But there is a really interesting and famous festival in April, from 11th -18th it seems like, it's their traditional new year named Songgan Festival. So it depends on you to decide when you'd like to come.

Ps. As Chinese and In my own opinion I would like to suggest you don't come 1st May-7th May/1st Oct-7th Oct since it's Chinese big holiday so that it would be full of Chinese within the town.

By the way, have you already get a agency to help you out?

Start learning to ask for the price of the item you want "thao rai"

lot noi dai mai  ---  can you give a little discount

Or the price you like to pay XXX + dai mai (100 dai mai if they ask 150)

That way you now to ask the price for things you want, and ask for a discount.

Learn the Thai numbers up to 1000, take around 4-7 days to learn because Thai numbers is so easy to learn / remember..

Use a few apps for the food you want at the start and try remember names for it, use you finger to point.
DonŽt be afraid to try the small food shop / wagon on the street, have some of the best food here.

If you want to buy a home here, it going to be a apartment / condo, as you canŽt own land here.
If you find a apartment / condo you like, try living in that area for rent for 3-6 month, so you know how it is to live there before buying. And remember if the apartment / condo have a nice view, it might be gone in a few month, Thailand build a lot all the time, and no one know if the build next to "you" place.

When you rent at the start, be sure you pay power and water to the company and not to the landlord, some landlord take like 80-100% more pr unite, a lot forget this.

About the language, it not a big problem if you want to live in Chiang Mai "city" area, so many speak English there.

Or google "HELPFUL THAI TERMS" if you want a few more words.

Other then that, i hope you have a good time here, it is a super great country to live in.

Hey,
Not sure what I can do to aid yas. seems ya got it covered. Thailand is the friendliest country in the world. And probably the easiest language to learn. I was stationed here during the Vietnam days for 28 months. Fell in love with it and came back here to retire. Chose Chiang Mai cause its a bit cooler here. oh been here since Sept. of last year and a week ago got my retirement visa. Only advise I can give yas now is learn a few customs and speak a few word in there language and you'll have no troubles....... If ya have any specific questions let me know and I'll reply....
Oh I use to teach Commercial diving in Camden across river from yas. And my wife was from Philadelphia (but I wont hold that against yas....LOL)
Mike

Hi
    I was also in the service in my younger years. I was stationed in Kunsan, ROK and Taegu, ROK in 1978-1979.
I guess you're glad to be out of Camden...that place has gone downhill bigtime. It's a sinkhole of crime and in response they're laying off the cops, go figure.

What other places would you consider moving to aside from Cm?

Oh, by the way...was it difficult to renew your visa until your retirement visa came through?

An agency? Do you mean a travel agency or something else. I'm planning to be in Chiang Mai in September for about three weeks.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum + please register in the business directory > Real estate in Chiang Mai]

Hi Bob--I am Gary. I just came across your message on Expat.com for moving to Chiang Mai Thailand in a year and a half from Feb this year. I am planning to move there in 4 months. I am going through divorce first--friendly so far--as we are processing it ourselves--still live together--and friends. Now i have my two major thing figured outthe gym to go to every other day and local AA meetings there from other contacts who responded. The gym is-Centara Duangtawan Fitness Club,132 Loy Kroh Road, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand. Now i am researching furnished apartments to live in--close to the area of the gym. I have a list of apartment buildings with floors of apartments--managed by list of websites--staff people who answer all questions so far. I am also making contacts with people planning to move there, and people already living there. I just joined a group on Facebook--Magic Chiang Mai Angels. A contact i made--frenchman--Richard Palumbo--invited me. You stated in message on forum you found information on international shipment of goods you will do when move. I am also considering that--you have website for place you are going to use?
Gary

You wrote, "I am initially going to rent a furnished apt. or condo for a year, then hopefully buy something."

Most condos require a six-month or one-year lease,

~
I happen to think a better way to go is to initially rent a 'Serviced Apartment', where you can rent by day, week, month, or year.

There are several good ones in the city, but my personal favorite is the Viangbua Mansion.

'Chiang Mai - Viangbua Mansion - Review'

http://seattle99.wordpress.com/2009/07/ … on-review/