Be careful ladies Caution when out on the streets

Today i was witness to crossing the street at a Main Street Noredom and the street Pencil grocery store is on . in any event a Motorcycle streamed by and snatched at my better half's purse that she had hung around her and was holding close ! Fortunately aside from a scratch across her throat from perps hand nails, she was unharmed and still in possession of the secured purse .. They are getting very Borazon .it was 1230 in the afternoon . young , two on a bike  . WOMEN DONT CARRY anything that will attract these  dangerous ( it was close to running us down ) clowns  .. Just a reminder of the petty thievery that is regular anywhere thes days ....  I wonder is this in the right section ?

I still don't get why women carry a purse in PP, and SR ? May be they feel it's like they walk naked or something. Seems to go really really deep in their psyche.

Having worked / lived in Cambodia previously for 9 years & recently arrived back I see many changes, but like any other country globally, you have a ''dark side'' also. My professional background for over 30 years is in the military /security industry so I possibly look at things with a different view point as against others. There is no gender preference when it comes to being selected - It comes down to wrong place wrong time scenario & also opportunist mentality ! (Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls + register in the business directory)

Better post in the right section for your post or the powers that be will yawn u to sleep with their only assignments ! Ladies are targeted much more as they carry purses which make it an easy snatch generally

(Moderated: no copy/paste on the forum pls)

It's obviously getting worse... http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/b … gs-jump-eu

Don't take valuables with you, or stow them away in your pockets or in a rucksack. Make copies of any ID cards, and leave the original ones at home.

This is still not entirely secure, as I've heard of a few cases of the muggers snatching a bag full of worthless stuff, and then coming back to the victim threatening and beating them as they've not made any "income" from them. Do'h!

Bob how would you suggest females carry their wallet if not in a bag?  I don't see how a pocket (which is rare in women's clothing) would be any safer?  It's not practical to go to work everyday with no house keys, no wallet, no phone, and no ID - so don't really think this is a 'female' issue...

* House keys - no problem. Have a spare lock at home in case someone steals the keys.
* Wallet - no problem. Don't take more money than you actually need for the day. Don't take bank cards unless you need them. Call your bank when they get lost.
* ID - no problem. Take copies with you, just as all Khmer do as well.
* Phone - can be an issue. Even as a male I sometimes don't feel good about taking my $300 phone out in public.

Thanks - my point being female's may not have an issue 'deep in their psyche', rather everyone needs to carry something sometime. 

My original ID is necessary for entry into my office and everything else is required so I will be sticking with my handbag!  If it's get stolen that's what insurance is for!

Just always stay alert especially with motodop/tuktuk drivers.

Sometimes they memorize the daily routine of some Foreigners especially during pay days.

Last last week i guess, 2 Filipina women were Hold up in the afternoon during pay day near their work.

3 days back in PP and I had my bag stolen on Saturday night even though I had some one with me walking me home, I cannot believe how quick it was and yes I was protecting it but obviously not enough .... now I refuse to take a bag with me!  Not the best welcome back!

Luluincambodia wrote:

If it's get stolen that's what insurance is for!

Is there really any insurance available that covers petty theft for Cambodian residents?

Sorry to hear that Livvy!

Yes my insurance covers any type of theft, I purchased 6 months initially and can extend it after that

Wow...! Do you have any details? (Insurer name, cost of the policy etc.)

My insurance is from New Zealand and covers my employment and living overseas - it would only be available to NZ citizens so perhaps something in your home country would be better.

Surely not... Most German insurers kicked us out when we moved over here... :(

Thanks Lulu, I just need to take more care from now onwards ..

Insurance is no help when a person is attacked by a motorcycle snatch as the real danger is that you could be pushed or fall and be run over . The poster , referring to insurance ,  may have you focus on financials , However your personal health safety CANNOT be insured , or assured . be alittle creative and private with your documents . I photocopied my passport And plasticized it and its as good as new after three years . just stay away from carrying purses or camara bags etc. That say Pick Me! The smart will get it and the ones who only learn through their own experience Wont . Everyone should let Go of their Baggage ! Lol be safe

This has happened to four of our friends in the past month,so be on the watch. If you are going out I say buy a money belt that goes under your clothes that can hold your ID and money,

It is a female issue : they are the prime target, and apparently, can't live without their bag (except Livvy who's smart.)
3 of my female friends where robbed, one was dragged on the pavement, while holding her bag. The stripe made a deep cut into her right hand, which required surgery to repair the ligament. The other, also dragged on the pavement, had deep scratches on her right side. I'll spare you the third one.

Now they go around without a bag, carry what's necessary in a small purse.

Having to go to such extremes to make the connection is beyond reason, IMO.

If you're close enough, grab either side of the handlebars and enjoy watching them try to fly.
You don't need to hold on, just a push towards or away from the rider is enough to send the bike out of control.
A guaranteed crash.
That's one for men who are big enough to sort out a couple of very angry people, who are seriously upset at smashing up their bike (if they can still fight).

Hi could you share which location this incident happened!

Sure, that's how you can get shot at, or stabbed. If you're robbed, let go of everything. An iPhone isn't something worth dying for.

@wimbleton happened over May July this year, so location might not be relevant at this stage. For those two : South of Independence Monument runabout, and Russian Market (near Parkway), at midday.

It's just bouts of petty thief, in an otherwise safe place, so long as our dearest halves take precautions.