Cost of living in Antigua and Barbuda

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Antigua and Barbuda.

Don't forget to mention where in Antigua and Barbuda you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Antigua and Barbuda?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

My husband and I are considering moving to St. Johns or somewhere on the southern end of the island. Any info about the cost of living would be greatly appreciated

accommodation prices
You can rent somewhere nice for around 1,500 pounds a month.

public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)
Bus travel is very cheap, however these are not buses like in the UK. They are small and cramped with no A/C, and you will find you are probably the only non local on the bus.

food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)
We spend 800 pounds per month on food for two people. The cost of food here is 2 - 3 times that in the UK.

health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
If you are going to get health insurance get it in the UK. Health insurance here is expensive and you have to pay first and then claim. You can visit a good private doctor here for around 35 pounds per consultation.

eduction prices (if you need to pay)
If you become resident then the state schools are free, however you would probably want to go private, sorry I don't have any prices for them

energy prices (oil, electricity)
Electricity is ridiculously expensive, our bill is around 200 pounds a MONTH! and we only use the A/C infrequently. Petrol prices are cheaper than in the UK and you can fill up for around 30 pounds.

common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
Internet=~50pounds, Television (Cable)=~30pounds, Telephone=~30 pounds, Mobile Phone=~15pounds all monthly.

prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant
Around 20pounds each, but does vary depending on the meal.

prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub
Beer=~2pounds, coffee=~3pounds

price of the cinema
Around 3pounds more for 3D films

I am living in Falmouth Harbor (beautiful view).  I haven't had my first bill yet for electricity and water, plus cable and internet are included.

It is very expensive to live here however, well worth it.  I looked at several apartments all over the island and chose one close to English Harbor (in English Harbor Town) because of the community, views, and welcoming feeling.  I am a recent transplant (entering a fourth week) and as soon as I found an apartment, I felt truly at home.  I also have a home/life in the States, but even though it is hot, and remote, I found that this is also home.  I am also very close to buying a car finally (as you definitely need one).

In closing, it is difficult, it is expensive, there is much Bureaucracy, many challenges, and my neighbors (the roosters) get up very early, but the only way I could be happier is if my other half (and our dogs) were here as well.

Hello Expatdude & Antiguatransplant!

Welcome to Expat-blog.

Thank you for your insightful write-up.

Regards,
Sheetul

Wish I had found this site before. Just paid my first electricity bill; now suffering an attack of the gin bottle while trying to recover.

Did you use A/C at all?  I had this individual staying with me for 2 weeks, and every night the a/c was on for like 9 hours... I can't wait to get that bill.

As a very experienced engineer I should have known better. Yes I over used my A/C. I was leaving it running while at work and sometimes I left both A/Cs running. The only thing I will leave on future is the ceiling fan. I have yet to visit Falmouth and English harbour but hope to remedy that this weekend, provided the weather improves. But if it's a wet weekend I will get internally wet via English Harbour rum.

As for Antigua being expensive, for me it depends on what I buy. Being one of those people who indulges in the habits of smoking and drinking, the place is cheap. When it comes to eating; ouch!

The weather looks to be sunny for the weekend, luckily.  I am so sick of rain!  Alcohol is by far, the cheapest thing on this island which makes one's indulgences easy to appease.
Cheers

Here's to the perfect girl, I couldn't ask for more. She's deaf 'n dumb, oversexed, and owns a liquor store.

Anyone with ideas of how a 'mature' gentleman can spend Saturday night without being fleeced being charged tourist prices?

Yes I would like to see any information or the cost of living in Antigua and Barbuda ,maybe the average salary per month people earn there . Places to rent long term that are reasonable . Finding any information of this sort on the net is next to impossible for this Country unlike most others .

Hi ,A few answer for you  average salary,  2500 $Ec = 900 $US monthly ,  this will be  pretty good cost of living is high alcohol is dead cheap  and cigarette to  . rentals    nice area  1000 Us a month ,  house electricity average  300 $Ec   water 100$Ec   internet  120 $Ec   lunch in a  nice restaurant  150 $Ec  pp  . what else  Beautiful  beaches  nice people   and not so nice people like most of the world . the currency is  1US$   equal  2.71$Ec
, . Hope this  help  I am a French  national  and  Antiguan  National   spend 20 years of my live there  ..
Sincerely ,
Actarus