General election in july and its affects?.

Hi everyone

I have been told by my potential employer that things might be a bit unstable in jakarta till the elections are over in mid july ?
Any ideas what they are on about as I have not read anything online ?
I am due to apply for my Kitas around that time , could it be an issue ?

many thanks

'Unstable' would suggest violent conflicts.
That seems unlikely at this point, but isn't impossible.
Indonesia is a new democracy and people tend to guard their ability to vote however, there are groups here that would love to grab power, and have no care how they get it.

The actual election day is July 9, but of course the possibility always exists of the loosing parties being upset and voicing their disapproval by way of demonstrations.

Presidential elections here in Indonesia always have the potential for extreme support by highly energetic political parties (of which there are too many), and given the immense and mind boggling diversity of this great country, that should be expected. 

That said however, not since the Year of Living Dangerously has Indonesian politics reached the level that weve been seeing in Thailand for quite a number of years.

Personally, I wouldnt give our Presidential election in three weeks much of a second thought if I were you.

I would enjoy the day off you will be given for the election day and go and explore the city.

There is no sign of instability as far as I know, and I am quite sure I would know if there would be any. Only July 9th, the election day, is a day off, which is only a positive thing :)

well...for Kitas before July 9 better or after no problem...:-)