Want to learn French

Hi,
I have just moved to Paris three weeks ago from Brisbane Australia, I don't speak any French and would like to learn as Im finding it hard to feel comfortable here not being able to speak the language. My question is, can recommend a good language school or classes for a beginner that don't cost a fortune? I know there are many in Paris but its always good to get some recommendations.
Thanks

Hi Sidod,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hiya Mate, I hope you manage to find somewhere good and reasonable in price, if and when you do, please let me know too. My name is Nargis, I will be moving to France soon too and fear the same as I dont speak a word of French I did join some online learning sites but just dont seem to have the motivation, how come you moved to France ?

Nargis

[email protected]

Hey I was studying before at a school called Goldencollar, by metro campo formio... so it's like a private business school where a lot of asian students go to, but the school has language programs. What I appreciated is that the teachers are professional teachers, not just someone they dragged in and pay squat which happens in some so-called language schools!! And the groups are small /// when i was there i was going every morning for 2 hours and my french got better faaaast... which is the idea right :D  Good luck

i am not in paris but in the toulouse area but the honest cheapest way to learn is find a french man or woman on these forums that want a language exchange you meet up at a cafe and talk half in english and half in french the set time and it helps both of you and dont cost a thing but your time and it is one on one and you help each other learn so win win gl :)

Hi all,
Thanks for your responses...still haven't found one yet that is what I'm looking but will keep looking and let you know if I find a good one. I guess its hard to tell and I may end up just trying to teach myself, although that is quite hard.
I would like to do the language exchange but I am worried that I need to have at least a little knowledge of French otherwise I will be completely useless.
Im loving Paris, it truly is an amazing city but I do struggle to get out and do things in fear of not being able to speak to people. Guess that is something I will have to get over if I want to see as much as I can.

Sidod wrote:

Hi,
My question is, can recommend a good language school or classes for a beginner that don't cost a fortune? I know there are many in Paris but its always good to get some recommendations.

There are some good online curses, eg learn-with-video-tutorials.com/learn-french-language -Learn French language

Regards

Hiya let me know how you get on as I will literally be in the same boat I dont speak any French

Hi looking for Friends in Paris to learn French and teach English.
Hi Friends,

I live in Paris and new to Paris from Sri Lanka.
I have lived in Greece and have moved to Paris.

If you like to learn English and need help on your English
Let me know. I also interested to learn French.
Any age is male or female friends.
we can first contract on email then meet somewhere in Paris to
study and practice on the languages.

I am also interested in photography, and sightseeing.

If you are interested please drop me a line

[email protected]

Thanks

Malik

i find that the library at center pompidou is a good place to learn french and it's free!they got like a special corner for people who want to learn french.

anyways if someone wants to practice french with me( i can speak french but not fluently)mail me at [email protected]

cheers,

Christoph

I completely feel you. I need to learn french fast and I actually found something that helped - here it is... [moderated] . I think is very good, I found this like in other forum. This method works with me ;-)

Hi everybody,

I see there's a lot of people who wants/needs to learn french. If you're interested I can help you, I would like to practice my english so I think it could be a good idea. I've already teached french some years ago so I think I can be healpful. Right now is not a good moment for me 'cause I'll go on holidays for some weeks but I'll be back on august.

Let me know if you're still interested.

see ya

Hello sidod,
ive been in paris a few mthz and there are some associations offering french classes at minimal fees, alternately u can also try mairie de paris if ur staying in paris. And ive a fren who recommender campus langue. Its a fraction of what u would have to pay in alliance francaise. Hope tht helps! :)
Hi sara,
I speak english fluently and would love to have some help in the french :) i am reachable at Christine.chan.cm(at)gmail

Try CampusLangues located in Paris. They're one of the cheapest schools with the best quality. I know you can also take classes through the city of Paris. They offer a summer class in the month of July. The two things that have helped me the most in learning French have been an Iphone application called MosaLingua and a book by Assimil for beginning French speakers. I also bought a bunch of exercise books and a grammer book by Collins called "Easy Learning French Grammar"that has been helpful. Other than that, invest in a pocket English/French dictionary to take with you everywhere and to use when  watching TV. Lastly, be patient with learning the language. It can be pretty difficult to learn, but persistence and patience is the key. Bonne chance!

you can try the Municipal classes (Paris, Montrouge, and ...)for free.
If you live Paris, ask at the City Hall.
bon courage.

Hi everybody! I know this new school!
with professionals teachers, but fees ok!

lial.fr/

facebook.com/coursdefrancais.lial

Good Luck!

hi, sidod, i just want to say that you can use skype or msn, facebook... for make french friends who can help you for use that you learn.

Hello Sidod,
I'm ALlyson french native teaacher and I would be pleased to teach you French online. Don't hesitate to contact me for more details.
I'm currently teaching French online and have my own business for that. N° INSEE and so on

Hi,

I arrived in Paris recently, I'm French I speak English a little bit but I would like to improve my English, if you still want to learn French we could do an exchange.

It would be nice

see you sarah

Hey man,

I'm french but I just come back from 2 years around Australia ^^ Just let me know if you wanna hang out, I could introduce you to many things and give you some tips !

Cheers !

Hi Sidod !

I'm an Italian student in Paris, fluent in French !
I'm looking for a Language Exchange English /French !
Are you interested ?

Let me know !
Thanks !

Daniela

Hi Daniela - i invite you to please post an advert in the Language Exchange in Paris section please :)