What do you think about Abesha (Ethiopian People)?

NO CONTENTS

Ethiopians differ in view, ethnic, political outlook, religion and so on. I do not think we have such kind of wild and savage attitude towards a sex. There are  millions of people who believe in mutual friendship beyond having sex relationship.  This is a matter of  your  life style and living experiences. nowadays, Ethiopians  have thousands of foreigners that work with them in different direction  in business and some other social aspects.  Ethiopians have free and independent  attitude towards foreigners: we are not hostile or submissive to foreigners and so on.
You can get a number of people that believe in mutual trust and benefits to grow together.

regards,
Temesgen

I agree with what Temesgen wrote. It is very difficult to generalize, all Ethiopian men are like that just because of one guy. And that could happen with any other guy from diffrent country.

May I get a clarification here?  :) Is this question mainly addressed to expats living in Ethiopia? Or is it also addressed to Ethiopians (e.g. about what they think about themselves)? It will be interesting to get the opinions from the expats living here about what they think of Abesha (Ethiopian People)? Just a thought.

No Not really! It's not about nationality when it comes to these case, it is all about a good guy and a bad guy kinda thing. i have worked with foreigners and they have asked  the same thing and i just conclude that he is an ass but i can not say that all guys from his country are the same. Their are decent and good guys who can be a good friend and apparently you met the ass hole.

My out look of ethiopians there the most honest and kind people I've ever met true out Africa I traveled to a few parts in Africa and Eritrea people, also are beautiful there same people like ethiopians these people has good characters and I have great admiration for them all. My princess is ethiopian and I have great love and respect for her. This is only my sentiments.

Well to be honest as a foreigner of African American/Jamaican origin, with a drop of British ancestry, I love Ethiopia. I walk down the streets after work and yes people will stare at you...well who can blame them.... I am a cool charismatic looking dude  :D . But seriously, Addis Ababa has been really good to me and the only time I had any problems was when I went out with my wife (who is Ethiopian) and some folks recognised her ( she was once a popular actress here)  and they just kept following us around. In the end I offered to give them my autograph and they just laughed and went away. But guys, come on.....Addis Ababa is a great place to live and work. I was working here about 8 years ago and since arriving back in August 2013, I am really impressed by  the new commercial and architectural developments that have taken place. On a down note every thing is really expensive if your salary is not in foreign currency, and the traffic is pretty terrible compared to 8 years ago, but then this brother enjoys walking  :cool:
Ethiopian men are men like anywhere else in the world, so you may wake up and encounter an arse wipe who gives you grief one day and then on another day you find someone who goes that extra yard to help you out. And yes Ethiopian women are spiritual and phenotypically hot....lets get real, they are beautiful in their own way which is unique to this part of the world. So guys don't diss Ethiopians, I am sure that some of the foreigners in Addis behave as if their passport gives them a right to walk around and complain about everything and everyone in this beautiful country and then there are foreigners like me that just sit on the balcony after work and pinch themselves wondering if this is all a wonderful dream. So my fellow ferengees remember that for many Ethiopians living here life is not a dream, and life is a uphill struggle....please remember we are guests in their country.

Ethiopia is a nice place to visit and live.Its people are friendly.Ofcourse some times some people may create a little problem just like at any other place, so be careful to enjoy your stay.

When you look different like me having a birthmark at my skin and I am white - Abeshas behave extremely impolite and stare, stare and stare. Illiterate, no education and no educated feeling of tact and respect. It happend that people tried to touch my different looking skin and I beat them by reflex. (moderated). they don't have the right to ask why my skin is partly red. If kids stare the parents stare too. No one educated their kid to take its eyes off. I traveled a lot around the world. Nowhere people stare more than in Ethio. Yes, they are to blame for that. But despite of that they will take White's money. Not with me I refuse to give something. When going shopping I take a native with me to avoid betrayal. Keep your mobiles and wallets close to you, the blacks grab everything precious they can get! And if someone asks you whether you are a racist because of that agree with him and you will have your peace. Happened to me a lot of time, I have been to Ethiopia for 7 times now. Only because of a man and the wonderful landscapes.

Ethiopian stare because they are fascinated by you. When I walk down the street I get stared at because although I am black I am not habesha and I have a swag about me that is irresistable. They are fascinated by differences because the reality is that not many Ethiopians will have the opportunity to see the world through the eyes of foreigners. They are fascinated because like many third world African , they believe incorrectly that if you a foreigner then you must have wealth. Look at the exposure Ethiopians have through the media and newspapers, it is very limited in terms of global news and current affairs and tends to represent the views of the government in power. Those diaspora Ethiopians who have managed to go abroad and return to Ethiopia with some funds will also stare at you, because despite their much superior financial status than many local Ethiopians, they are also fascinated as to why foreigners are here. Ethiopians are generally very friendly people in fact they are much more friendlier than diaspora Ethiopians who have been abroad and who want to have the best of both perceptions i.e behave like foreigners when it suits them and behave like locals when it is convenient.
So Berlin, go gently with Ethiopians, your words were harsh but I can see they come from frustration. Next time they stare at you just smile and imagine what it would be like if I as a Black brother went to China...I am sure that I would get stared at a lot ...especially by the Chinese sisters :) Peace and one love

I like your frank openion.

@Raymond:

Believe me, Raymond, if you were in my shoes you would understand me. Your face may be black but my face is quite red (!). I am not ready to be an unwanted target for blacks  who touch in worst cases my skin or ask me directly why I'm looking like that. Incredibly impolite. It is their curiousity regarding my "special case". I have seen that other Whites don't get treated like me. You will agree with me that it is extremely impolite to discriminate people regarding physical disabilities. Here in Europe blacks aren't handled very well and the blacks are that race who cries for anti-discrimination the most. . I can't smile. I could cry! The matter is so painful. The hardest thing is they aren't aware of their braincracked glances and call this behaviour "culture" what leaves me speechless! I call it illitrism. I cannot take one of them really serious. I'm feeling among them like at a cattle market. I can almost feel the pain physically. Sorry to say but you cannot judge my opinion because you don't have any red-blue birthmark in your face which makes you an target for attacks. You have no experience regarding this special matter.

I disagree with you calling them "friendly". They are friendly because they like to know more about you. But I am not ready to be an object satisfying their curiosity. All I want is peace and a walk in the town free from harassements. This so-called "culture" is as harsh as my words. They handle me as if my birthmark is my own fault. What would be your reaction if they try to touch you and make fun out of you? If I as a White would ask you what made your skin black? How would you feel? If it were friendly you'd smile. But the sound makes the reaction. The voice can be totally friendly, but direct remarks regarding my birthmark aren't friendly at all, so I defend myself in these harsh words.

By the way I have been to China too and almost no one stared at me.

Berlin,
You seem to be very harsh. Temesgen's comment above is very representative about Ethiopia and Ethiopians in general.  Because people staring at you doesn't mean they are hurting you.  They just see differences through you.  When you say "you cannot help them because they are blacks and they star at you just because the are blacks", I challenge you that you do not have an elementary understanding of Ethiopia and Ethiopians.  Ethiopians are carying, loving, and respectful but also independent minded and self confident people.  You yourself created your own superiority but Ethiopians never care and do not give you a damn, contrary to many other countries of "developing world"

To the flip side, you have people like you (in your country) who looks down "blacks" or different skinned people.  It is not to appreciate them but to denigrate them.

I have been /lived in Europe, America, Asia, and a few African countries. 

All depends on where you put your legs, regardless of the country or people.  There are bad/good people everywhere in the world.  But in some parts of the world, people are trained or get used to how to respect others.  In others, people are grown up uncultivated and allergic towards others.

If you are allergic, just do not travel.  Stay where you are.

Right, I am allergic. abmgize, you shouldn't act as if you know how I am feeling getting stared because of my birthmark. In fact, people treat me different from other Whites. It isn't to deny! Some of them scream when seeing me. Why? Totally uncivilized. As you wrote yourself, some of them are uncultivated. Ethiopians are! You cannot feel what I'm feeling there so please don't make your standpoint to my own. If you have lived in several countries doesn't man you know how to deal with personal, unfortunaltely very much visible disease, in Ethio. Your text seems as if you give myself the fault of getting stared. As if my birthmark were my fault. I don't need to make friends in Ethio. I have my fiance and a closed friend, both of them are open minded. So all I need is my peace instead of getting stared.

What helps me a lot is to keep my glance straight on my way, not glancing right or left in anyone's face. That protects me from getting hurt by glances.

hello

I have worked in many countries, but in no other Country as Ethiopia (12 years) I was asked this question so many times by local People and I realy start to question why do People want to know, what i think, is it realy that they want to know or is their some Thing else behind. By the years I gave up and I reject any discussion on this question in publice, when People jump on me while I enjoy my draft and pull out this question straight away. That makes live easier in Ethiopia!

Oliver

@meter69:

Hi Oliver, I read your text right now. I am interested in which questions of Ethiopians do you reply with why do they want to know? Questions regarding your appearance, any diseases or what exactly? I really like to know and will be grateful when you'll write. thank you in advance.

Regards
Berlin1973

what i mean that People fast ask me, hey do you like ethiopia, do you like our People etc.....and I find this quite strange because I never had this in any oither Country.

@meter69:

Thanks, I got you now. And I think you are right refusing any discussions. I also don't like to be involved in any discussions how I think about them anymore. Because if I would say the truth what I think about them they will snap as it often happened in the past. I don't go to Ethio because of its wonderful landscapes or anything, because of a man only. :)

By the way, my wife is ethiopien and she thinks the same, even came to this conclusion much earlier than me to stop talking and gave me the advice to do it the ethiopian way, just be "simble"

for every one intrested in this question, have a look at following HP -

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/ … nce?page=3

thats one excample how former visiters of Ethiopia discuss this question, and ist for sure one of the top 3 african travel forums

Someone with common sense wrote something interesting..thanks

I've read alote of your posts and it seems to me your just not happy being there,you complain about every subject or every question someone has,so the million $ question is why don't you go back to the cold place your from Germany? I've lived in Frankfurt and I could come up with pages of things I didn't like but why, I focused on the good things and kept it moving,,,,just go home..you sound like your miserable ..

What a looser you are Berlin ,amazing how you complain,telling us about how oppressed you are ,try being black for a year in the corporate world ,you wouldn't last because your mentally week.Stop complaining and take the advice,smile at them and go about your business live your life stop worrying about what they think,,,and if you can't afford living there and hate the people,do all of us a favor and bounce,please go home or stop complaining before your life just passes you by and your like shit what happened to the years,,,,,

Hello Stormkid,

This thread is from 2014. It is recommended not to dig up old threads of the forum. So, i am closing this obsolete thread and suggest you participate on newer content of the forum.

All the best,
Bhavna

[Topic Closed]

Closed