Whats your experience in Ethiopia ?

Just post some stories about, traveling, eating out or in, housing experience and explain what you find best about Ethiopia..

I am 24 yeas old  i have BSc degree in physics

Hi ABEBAW BIWOTA,

Please note that the subject of this thread is whats your experience in Ethiopia ?

Do you have any information or advices to share?

Your posting is quite vague. How can we help you?

Thank you,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

[Moderated: pls post your resume in the Jobs in Ethiopia section pls]

1.Inventory control for 3 years
2.Business development officer 5 years
3.Micro finance manager 2 years

LOL,language is sooo funny sometimes - please read carefully; this is for life experience - not work, (lut your mind be free from that of work and shear the stories =)

Three of my worst experiences in Ethiopia are the follwing:
1. I am having a birthmark and people stare, stare and stare. Most of them are very illiterate. In no other African country they do like this in Ethiopia.
2. The whiter you are the higher any price. Do shopping accompanied by an Ethiopian only.
3. There are bedbugs everywhere, even in the best hotels.

[moderated: off topic]

To Berlin1973 - I'm srry. for your bad experience; you should know not all of Ethiopia is the same - you should travel to Hawassa or Baha dir city - many other places too other than Addis only -- it is a good ideal in any African country and all others to travel with someone of the local community - one for language and two for safety, also you should make more friends here on  expat-blog; that have more information on Ethiopian accommodation...

Berlin 1973  wrote: The whiter you are the higher any price. Do shopping accompanied by an Ethiopian only.

yes it is common that People not beeing ethiopian are over charged in all Business, starting from the shoe polish Boy, up to "high Level" Business People, Hotels, the White nose Price. If we talk about increasing Price for non ethiopians, we have to understand that we are not talking about some 10% no we talking about 100% and even some times more.

Ethiopia realy has to think over this Problem and they should regulate this!

In the last years I have observed many travelrs leaving the Country back home with the Impression, they only want my Money, which is reflected in many Internet Tourist Forums, creating a real negetaive Image of ethiopia and we can not blaim them. It is the "ethiopian" who have the power to Change, not the visitors.

For sure every Tourist will smile over the shoe polish Boy beeing smart to make some extra money, but not about the Business men, driving in a luxury car and asking 100% more for the Hotel room and treating his own staff like shite..... As we say we should Keep the church in town!

I tryed once to explain a Hotel owner in Addis, I always used his Hotel for Addis visit (living in adama). One day he was complaining about his low booking rate. I explained him, that their are many People like me, that I know most of them and they all are non ethioipians searching regular a clean, Hotel, get more turn over by low Price per unit, because your fixed costs will not Change. he told me he has to Charge the view visitors more to compensate his loss, he could not follow my idea, he even excused himself by - they are Investors, they are rich!

Another day having my draft at my local bar, a budjad Driver walked in, looked at me and started to talk in amharic to the other guest, everybody was laughing. he told them that one day he stoped for me, because I was White smelling a good business, but at the end this guy did realy new the Price and sadly I could not cheat on him.  The sad storry is for me that some one talks proud in public about cheating a non ethiopian, without beeing chamefull. In my Country if some would do so, everyboday would stop doing buisiness with him, because some one talking like this will also one day cheat me!!

Another one, at stop to Addis we had breakfast, same place as always (after this we stoped they lost 2 good customers), asking for tzhe bill, we found out that every unit Price was add by 2 Birr, not a lot, but in the summ it was 35 Birr, also not a lot, but for me a principle questions, and as well 35 birr x 365 days x 12 years.....

First the waiter was friendly when we referd to the menue, but suddenly he came back - Mr. sorry the bill is corect, the menue is wrong! Big joke, we were laughing but never returend!

And at the end we have to see, that this higher price is helping only some People in a very short time, but it is not suporting a sustainable Business world and for sure not a win for the common Ethiopian!

Oliver

Oliver; some of what you say is true, we deal with many problems especially me and my wife; before we had our son many of the street people would say things that in my country most people would fight over (words of vulgar means)  "my wife is Habesha"

But best to say this was street people of Addis Ababa; After sometime and the birth of our son things become more less peaceful;

For Business; yes its a hard market here because of corruption in all levels; but not only for (forengii) but for the locals too, getting regulations in place would be nice.

life here is not the expectations you should expect as that of from your home country (just remember this is a developing economy - relatively safer than other countries in Africa, with year on year growth...

people coming here should have plains to see Makelle; the people there are more than respectful of you and them self - there are some good spots in addis and other places around as well, just explore and make it your own opportunity to see things as it is...

(tell some-things about Adam; how are things thr ?)