English speaking Creche or pre-school

I'll be relocating to Angola end of August with my wife and son.
My son is 2year Old and we're having trouble find information about creches' or pre-schools in Luanda.
Could anyone advise on schools other than the International School of Luanda.
We've heard about the swedish compound but there is no information available on the  internet.

How big is the South African community? Is there a South African school?

Please help.

Claudio

Dear C Muianga

There really isnt any pre-schools here, the only option would be to have your wife look after your 2 year old sun until he turns 3 and then apply for pre-school at 2 locations. The 1 school is in the city of Luanda called Escola and the other is called LIS which is outside Luanda in the much nicer area known as Tala Tona, this is where I would want to stay if I was you, the city is much like Maraba Stad in Pretoria.

We came here in 2008 with my daughter not even 2 yet and found allot of head aches, but we are fine now, go for some basic Portuguese lessons before coming here, it will help allot.

Cheers
Le Roy
[email protected]

Hi Le Roy,

Thank you for the information, it helps a lot.

The company has given me 2 Options, Benfica and Talatona.
Which one is best? Your opinion?

Regards

[email protected]

Please go for Talatona. It is the Sandton of Angola currently , not so fancy, but there are townhouses and complexes all over in Talatona. One big shopping centre also with a Shoprite(the only big mall at this stage) and a few other shops like Casa dos Frescos, but Casa is very expensive. But anyday talatona. LIS is also here. Go see lisluanda.com. I can hook you up with a lady from the SA embassy margaret who lives in Talatona if you would like. It will make your life much easier.

This is not a must, but many xpats moving here gets a driver and car from the company which drives them to the office and back each day which makes your life much easier also. Negotiate that now before you come over.

I am not always on this post, it will be best to email me if you have any other questions since Angola is really very different from SA and the culture and language is the biggest challenge, but its also getting much better day by day. Its not really that bad, just very different and takes time to get used to. But once you are settled in and know a few people, specially from the SA Embassy, you will be right at home. [email protected]

Go to google images and type in talatona angola this will give you an idea of the area. It really is very nice, I live in the city Luanda and I wish I had the chance to live in Talatona. The city is not nice. Most of it looks like Marabastad in Pretoria. But I got used to it now.

I am on it.
Not very impressive.
What is your view on healthcare?
Will email you.

Well healthcare is good for general thing like flu, dental and malaria treatment, but anything serious like operations or child birth or anything that you feel serious enough about is better to fly back to SA and get it treated there, like i mentioned in my email to you I had a burst apendics without my GP thinking that it could be that. The GP's we use are very good and on the same standard as those private GPs in SA. OK to be fair to the GP also he didnt send me for any scans, just did a blood test for bacteria and found some and prescribed antibiotics like 90% of them would do.

The next morning I just had a funny feeling that I need to fly to SA soonest since I suspected apendics problems since the pain was now going to the right hand side of my abdomen only and I could not walk properly anymore.

We flew out the monday and I had an emergency op in SA the next day and staying in Hospital for 2 weeks. The DR is SA says if I stayed in Angola 2 - 3 days more the poison in my body would have killed me, so goes to show that God does speak to people, He certainly kept telling me to get to SA soonest.

Thats why I say for general health care its fine here. The GPs will be fine with that. The hospital can certainly deliver babies and handle emergencies like SA, but the staff that assist arent highly trained and we are always worried about their hygiene. Not meant to scare you please.

about creches, I am now in angola, I speek english with my husband...we also looked for different options. Living in Nova vida, close to Talatona, there are a few angolan creches...but expensive: 400 dollars a month and crowded...
I heard there will be a new creche in talatona, europeen standart in january 2011...can give you their mail if you want to suscribe. I have a nany, pay her now 28 000 KW a month. but I have to tell that I teach her many things, she is not aware about many things...Many angolans go for the philipines nanies. they are more reliable, know about education etc...
You have to be able to host them...their salary goes from 600 to 800 dollars.

Dear fonduefoufou,
Thank you for your reply and assistance.
I would really appreciate if you could give me their email address.

Hi All,

We are a new Nursery and Kidagarden which is opening in Luanda Sul in January 2011.

We will have an English group class room from Kids age from 2 to 3 years old.

Pre-Enrolment is already open. If you want more information's please e-mail us on: [email protected]

On the moment we do not have an English Classroom for children of the age 3 to 5 years old, but if we receive a big number of Parents interested we can create the group as of the needs of the parents in Luanda.

KIDSPACE LUANDA           kidspaceluanda.com

• KidSpace has been created thinking of the safety and welfare of your child, offering a service of   excellence.

• We have created the KidSpace Nursery & Kinder Garden in accordance with the Portuguese standards of Nursery Schools.

• KidSpace Nursery & Kinder Garden offers a children's world that seeks to give "space" where children will grow with comfort, care, and an optimistic vision of the future.

Hello kidspaceluanda,

Thank you for your post.
Could you please provide me with more information about your institution, fee structure, etc.

[email protected]

Regards

Hello CMuianga,
Is it possible to find out more information about Kidspace?
How much it cost? per month or year? what language is spoken there?

Thank you

Valeria

Hello Valeria -> To note that this thread is old (2010). Do not hesitate to start a new one on the Luanda forum for more visibility. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi!

First just to welcome you here in Luanda, it's not that bad except for the horrible traffic. I, myself am an expat & with an infant, I too had my initial share of problems. I have no idea about the number of the South African community here as I am an Indian but regarding your query about a pre-school: My son had joined a pre-school by the name of Playgroup, located in Alvalade. It's hygienic, clean & the teacher excellent. It is located in Alvalade. Also, there are other English pre-schools in Talatona, or the southern part of Luanda city in case you are putting up there.

regards
Rajashree

Hi Rajshree,
Kindly advice if there is Any active Indian Society in Angola?
I am planning to visit on May and hopefully will stay there for long time. Please guide if all Indian stuffs are easily available there. I know English and a bit if French but i dont know Portuguese, is it a big problem for me??

I will be thankful to you if you can advice some info and contacts about Metal Scrap Export Business if you have any idea.

Regards
Anuj
[email protected]

[Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls]

I am looking for an English speaking Crèche or pre-school