Driving License

Hi,

What is the procedure to get a driving license in the town?

When I surfed on internet it says I need a proof of residency, I am still looking for a house so I am not sure if I can get that.

I never had any driving license ever. I have just rented a motorbike from a friend. I would like to buy my own bike after I have a license.

Thznks in advance for your help.

You will need:
1. Copy of passport info page and current visa
2. Health certificate (obtain at any small clinic or doctors office for around 100 baht)
3. affidavit of residency (obtain from immigration or your embassy)

If you have a license from your country of origin you can avoid some of the following test given at Land Transportation Department to obtain license.
1. eye test (depth perception, color blindness, peripheral vision)
2. reaction test
3. written test
4. practical test

I would also add that it is a good idea to get a motorcycle license and a car license on the same day. That is what I did! You need to take the written test (computer) twice, even though it is the same test. The driving tests can be done on the same day, one after the other. They each only take about 15 minutes. It took me the whole day to get through the processes but now I find it useful to be able to rent a car if I ever want to. It also gives me a way to get an international driving license for other countries. Like you, I had no driving license when I arrived here. My Canadian license and my counterfeit Chinese driving license (I lived in China the last six years before moving here) had both expired.

About Visa for Driving License, It say Non-Immigrant Visa, and i know where i live, that what one need to get driving License or they turn you away. i do know some place they donŽt care about this.

Residency Certificate, if you not on a extension to stay, Immigration donŽt do them for you, then you only option is you Embassy.

Health certificate from local doctor on the street 30-50 baht where i live, i do know some place they only want them from a hospital, if so that around 500-700 baht from hospital.

You Picture, i know it say they donŽt want them, but i all ways ask my friends i help to have them, one never know what they asking for here in Thailand, so better to have them, as one friend "need" them when i help him.

"Photos - Photo's are no longer required.   They will take a digital photo for the new style card."

If you donŽt have a driving license you need to do this:

Training course.
Written test.

From other webpage:

Note:  To get your Thai license you must take some quick tests for reflex, depth perception, peripheral
vision test and color perception.  This seems to be arbitrary.  I did not have to take the depth perception
and peripheral vision test.  I've recently been told that you now have to watch a 1 hour movie about
driving in Thailand for the 1 year license.  The video is in English.

End from other webpage:

If you speak Thai OR you have someone to help you that speak Thai use that / them the day you go there.
So many times we help my friends, and it get "easy" when i bring my wife to help out, even so we have all paper they need, This is Thailand, and that the way it is here.

I hope you get you license without to much problem.

Kindly.

If I obtain an International Drivers License in my home country (US) will I be able to use it in Thailand? Will it help avoid the written or driving test?

An International Driver's License/Permit (IDL/IDP) is also valid in Thailand, and available from a government department or authorized auto club at a small expense. A foreign driving licence valid under the 1949 or 1968 Conventions qualifies the licence holder to apply for the IDL/IDP, and its holders may find that it is more often recognised and accepted by police and civil service officials.  Beware of the many IDP/IDL websites that are not legitimate.

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licence as described above or an International Drivers Licence are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

Remember the Thailand have new rule / law about getting driving license from 01-06-2014

BANGKOK:-- The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has announced the start of a strict new testing and examination process for obtaining a driving license in Thailand.

The new, more stringent tests will be effective nationwide from 1st June 2014 and are in response to urgent calls for Thailand to improve its appalling road safety record.

The key points to the new driving tests will see an increase in the number of training hours for learner drivers from 4 hours to 12 hours or more under the new proposals.

New drivers will also have to get to grips with a more thorough and comprehensive driving curriculum that will include 4 hours and intense lectures, as well as a written examination on driving theory consisting of 50 questions.

In order to pass the written examination, drivers will need to obtain a score of at least 90% or answer 45 questions out the 50 correctly. This is compared to the current driving examination test that includes 30 questions, with a passing grade of 75%.

The new tests will be mandatory for all new drivers in Thailand. Any driver who wishes to renew their 5 year Thai driving license will also need to attend a one hour refresher lecture in order to bring them up to speed with the new curriculum. Drivers who are applying for a 5 year license for the first time will not need to take this class.

The Department of Land Transport believes that the new test will bring driving in Thailand to that of international driving standards, making drivers pay more attention when driving and therefore reducing the number of accidents on Thailands roads.

A spokesperson for the DLT also went on to confirm that it plans to expand the number of driver training centres nationwide in order to accommodate the increase in training and studying time and that the DLT is actively seeking new trainers to help teach the revised driving curriculum.