Look at small farming properties in Belize

Hello!  We're a couple ages 58 and 56 who have been considering retiring in Belize.  We've been doing online research for about 3 years but would like some help on a few things.  We're considering making a visit to finally see Belize and possibly look at small farming properties.  We live on 14 acres here in Idaho.  Does anyone have suggestions on what part of Belize to visit for farming areas, recommendations for a good realtor, and where to stay if we do come?  Also, does Belize still have the retirement program for expats?  any ideas/advice/info would be appreciated!  Thanks so much,

Jodi Turner

Hi
I am a farmer in S. Belize
All depends on what kind of farming   you are planning.
there people who have just a Teak farm, others have citrus, There are corn farmers, Almost anything Tropical will grow in Belize. Some crops like a lot of rain like we get in the south. Others prefer slightly dryer. It is always better to do what you know best. Possibilities are there. Belize do not have a big enough population to support a lot of consumer goods. But the country is growing.

Hi Jodie,

This may or may not be of interest to you. It isn't farming on a large scale but they are living off the grid and farming for sustenance.

carmelitagardens.com

Hi Jodi,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have created a new topic with your post for a better visibility and interaction.

All the best,
Christine

Thank you!  We're actually more interested in chickens and small farm animals with a large garden.  Not really raising crops to sell so much as enough to live on.

Jodi:

There is still the QRP (Qualified Retirement Program) in Belize. We decided to go that route for myself. We decided on the Cayo area of Belize as this is where most of the food is grown in Belize. We wanted to come to Belize for the same kind of property as it sounds you are. We ended up with 20 acres. We are still getting things set up. We are looking to have green house, chickens, goats, ducks, geese, and dogs.

There is lots of properties for sale. We used the services of John Ascott from Santa Elena Cayo. Tiffany and John were excellent and spent the time needed for us to find the property we ended up purchasing. We have been here for 7 months now. Still lots of work to do but things are coming together.

Contact me with a private message to discuss more.

Lorriann:

Carmalita Gardens is right across the river from us. So we see it everyday. Their plan is to grow organic food there, but they certainly do not do that now. The project is barely started. They have a vision though and this can be seen on their website. I do not know from inside knowledge but it seems that they are financing the development from sales of property. Not many houses are built as of yet.

Certainly the houses have lots of solar panels which is good to see. They do have grid power though running on the property.