Need help in moving process!

Hi all I am new to the forum and I am looking into possible cities to  move to in the Dominican Republic.
I have so many questions and I appreciate all of your replies.

I am a 25 year old looking for a bit of an adventure, I would like to live in the DR for 6 to 12 months.

I just want to live a simple stress free life for a while. Where I can get up in the morning head to the beach for a few hours, walk around exploring the local towns, and have a nice lunch at a local restaurant, head home and do a bit of work.
My questions are:

1. Would 2000 USD be enough for me to live on, while living modestly, not going out drinking more than once or twice a month?
2. I have read that the electricity frequently goes out for several hours, is this an everyday thing? I work 20-25 hours a week, mainly via emails and skype.
3. How much would a studio apartment cost, it doesn't have to be fancy, just a bed a shower and a little cooker.
4. I would like to get some sort of scooter or motorbike to drive to the beach and into town with, how much will a used one set me back?
5. How difficult is it to get a visa to stay for 6-12 months?
6. What town should I look into that is relatively safe and has some nice beaches?
7. Any links to a budget for a single person will be greatly appreciated.

Look at the north coast (Cabarete).   Lots of locals, tourists and expats around. A sports minded town as well. Lots going on and easy to go up and down the coast from there.
Answers:
1. $2000 should  be fine if you don't overdo it.
2. Electricity is spotty at times. Most rental places have back up (generator or inverters) so power is really not an issue. Internet speeds are fine.
3.  Currently you can get a decent place (security, electricity 24/7, internet) for $300- $500 a month in the Cabarete area
4. I would not get a motor bike. Very dangerous and you cannot ride them on the beach. Everything is in walking distance in Cabarete.  They have local vans to take you from town to town and even getting around town is very cheap ($1 a ride)
5.  Don't worry about a visa just pay the over stay "fine" when you leave. It is $1000 RD (about $23 US).

Hope this helps.

Bob K

Bob got it for you!!! I will second his warning - do not buy a scooter (pasola) as it is bloody dangerous.

Another option would be Samana but I would go with the Cabarete area.....

Thanks Bob, you really nailed all the questions! I will look into the Cabarete area, any suggestion on where to look for apartments to get a feel for what you get for your money? Second I have been recommended the Punta Cana area, since my friends tell me that they have the nicest beaches in the DR, is this true? Will I be able to find nice sandy beaches in Cabarete?

IN Punta Cana you will find beautiful white sand beaches but not much of local life, or towns near by. it is like a huge hotel zone ala cancun.
On the north coast you will find beautiful tan sand beaches and more of an exposure to the true DR.
As to condos look under Trip Advisor Cabarete, as well as flipkey,  and google Cabarete Dominican Republic condo rentals.

Bob K

I agree, Punta Cana has no feel of Dominican life really. And it is very spread out. You will have more fun in Cabarete and prices will be better too!

Thanks guys I really appreciate it!
I have 2000 USD to work with a month, and I am trying to make a little budget, but I am having a few problems figuring out the exact prices for various things. I have tried searching the forum for some sort of living expenses budget, but haven't had any luck. How much am I looking to spend for the following:
1. Health care, I am 25 year old, with no health problems.
2. Housing: I have set aside 500 USD for a studio apartment
3.  utilities
4. Food and basic household items.
5. Transportation
6. activities
If there is anything vital that I am missing in regards to my mini budget, I would love to know. And thank you for all your replies.

OK:
Health care:  if you are gong to be here for over 6 months then local insurance will cost you about $800 RD ($19 US for figure $20 US a month).  Do you have insurance back in the states that you will continue to have?

Rent: $500 should be fine ( you can get a very nice large studio long term in Ocean Dream (one of the nicest complexes on the beach) for about that much.  There are other places that are very nice for that amount or a bit less as well.

Utilities are included in some places (yes on ocean dream) others you will have to pay for electric which can be up to $100 a month  depending on how much your use the AC.  You also may have to pay for cable and internet (again included in Ocean dream for the most of the units).  As a  disclaimer we own a rental unit in Ocean Dream but it is a 2 bedroom and much too big for you as well as way over your budget.  But this why I know so much about the complex.

Food is hard to judge it depends on what you eat and like.  If you "have" to have US imported products it wont be much cheaper than back home. If you can use local products (we do for the most part and only buy imported beef when having meat for dinners) you can count on about 40% less than US costs for food.  But it is getting more expensive every day.

Local Gua-guas (vans that act as local buses and ply the main streets within towns and between towns) costs about 40 pesos or just under a dollar each trip.  Publicos (shared crowded taxis) about the same.  Motos ( motor cycle taxis, very dangerous) are 25 pesos per trip.  Private cabs can be expensive.  A private cab from one end of cabaret to the other is $5US and between Cabarete and Sosua $15 US.

Activities ??? Depends on what you are doing.  Tourist excursions can be expensive.  Doing things on  you on much less so.

Again hope this helps

Bob K

Thanks Bob, I am actually not from the states I am from a small country called Denmark located in Scandinavia, Europe.My income right now is about 85.000 USD, but I also work 80-90 hours a week, and I am not planning on doing that once I make the move. So my income will be around 2000-3000, but I just figured 2000 USD, to be on the safe side. I have various insurances now, but I am not sure they'll cover more than 6 months, but since I am only planning on staying 6 months at first, to get a feel for the place, it wont be a problem. As for activities I was thinking in the line of scuba diving, kite surfing etc. Do you know anyone in Ocean Dream that are currently renting out a studio? And again, thank you for your help!

I know you are not from the US but since you were talking about USD I thought tell you costs compared to US in USD would be helpful. I have no  idea on food costs and such in Denmark

I sent you  PM and will have information on the condo contact later today.

bobk

Everything in Denmark is expensive compared to US prices, so it will all be cheaper than what I am used to. I shoot you an email now.

Got you email and replied.  Let me know how things go.

Bob K

Hello Bob, I was just reading your post on Ocean Dream rentals and was wondering if they accepted small dogs?

Sorry I posted too quickly...I would be interested in a long time rental, maybe years, is that possible?
And a belated happy birthday to Planner!

I just looked on the Ocean Dream site and they don't allow pets.  So that lets us out.  Can you suggest any other similar condos that rent around that price range and accept pets?  I was hoping to be there in November and have a temporary place set up but that time frame depends on some things to be cleared up here first.
Ocean Dream sounded perfect!

Sorry no dogs at Ocean Dream. 
You can google condos in Cabarete.  There quite a few. Also look here:
on trip advisor  http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g3 … ublic.html  and look under vacation rentals.

Second here is another site to start with:
http://www.activecabarete.com/

Bob K

Thanks Bob for the links.  Most of the ones that accept pets are more expensive than I can afford but I'm still looking and haven't given up the idea of eventually buying something later on.

You are welcome. Hope you find something.

Bob K

Hi Bob, unfortunately the rent was a little over my budget at 1500 for a 2 bedroom and 750 USD for a studio. Do you have any other suggestion for a studio at 500 or below?

Check my post #16 and look at those sites for some ideas..

Bob K

Onthe way...Did you purchase a return ticket to your home country?

Planner/Bob K.. If one does not purchase a return ticket (round trip),does Customs ask you how long you plan to stay when you arrive in DR?  If so, what would we say?  In my case as you know I plan to stay permanently but will not begin my process until August once we find a permanent rental and I can get citizenship through my husband who is Dominican.  Thanks

IF you buy a one way ticket you MAY be forced to buy some form of return ticket. IT is actually up to the company selling you the ticket! It is their responsibility to make sure you have a return ticket if you do not CURRENTLY have residencia.

Others have - when required - bought the cheapest refundable ticket online. Then they simply cancelled it when they got here. Its a bit of a hassle but doable.

American did not require me to purchase a return ticket however told me I may be questioned at Customs in DR.  Have you had any experience with people having issues or what they have told the Customs officer?

I've only had peole questioned at the check in counter. That is where they were forced to buy the return ticket.  Ive never had anyone I know questioned at customs.  I don't think it will be a big deal,  just tell customs you are joining your husband and applying for citizenship.

Customs here will not ask.  But most airlines will require  it in order to give you a boarding pass when you check in.  Purchasing a ticket and "Checking in " at the ariport are two different thngs.

Do not be suprised if they do not issue a boarding pass if you do not have a rerurn ticket.

Liek Planner said be ready to buy a fully refundable ticket at the last minute. IN fact i have always been asked by American and United if  i have a return ticket.  Then just show them my residency  card and no probelm

Bob K

BObK

Thanks!