Travel and Health

Hello all -

About 8 years ago my friend had some blood clots that ended up in her lung.  Messy business, really.  So they busted them and the doctors said that there was a good chance she was free and clear, and that was a one-off.

This past weekend they returned.  They got her on meds and they will be clear soon, just have to pay close attention for a little while.  My question is this:  She will be working in a place that is around 20 hours away.  I know flights (sedentary periods) are a dangerous place for another episode - and she would be taking at least 2 flights a year home, and probably many shorter ones to travel.  I know there are compression socks and all kinds of things she could take, but I would like to hear any opinions on whether or not you think it is worth the trouble, and whether it is something you would risk for a job.  The idea of being concerned for 6-8 weeks after a flight that a clot has or will slip through is interesting to me, so I would like to hear any points of view you have - being personally close I think my opinion is swayed.  Her choices are to keep the job and do what she can to try to prevent these from returning, or find a job that wouldn't require very extended flights and play it a bit safer.

Thanks for your input!

I am not a doctor nor experienced in your friend's condition. But if I was her and told not to fly unless I have to, I would stay away from a job which will require me to fly every so often.

From your description, your friend seems to be suffering from Pulmonary Thromboembolism - a potentially fatal condition. The fact that the condition has recurred demands that a proper evaluation be done to find the cause. I will not go into the (boring) details here.

She will now need to be on anticoagulants (blood thinners) for a period of 4 to 6 months and will need frequent monitoring to adjust the doses. Will she have good medical care where she goes? Are the hospitals equipped with a lab that can monitor the prothrombin time at least once a week? More importantly, will she pass her medical examination and be considered fit to work?

In my opinion, she should try and find another job that will not entail frequent travel. She'll probably need to consult a pulmonologist and a hematologist.

Thank you both.

She, like me, has gotten an international position teaching.  So her travel wouldn't be "often" but at least twice a year plus trips.  I am trying to consider how much stress there would be having to walk around on the plane for so long and all the time being nervous if they'll return after a flight.  She is seeing a hemotologist on Thursday, but from what I have read their recommendation will be along the lines of "it *should* be safe, you have to make up your mind."  She will be moving to Bahrain, I would think medical care would be adequate.

The problem is if she can't fly she loses that job and will be stuck at home with no job and no place to live, but the alternative could be much worse.  My initial reaction was to be very cautious - and the internet (shocked!) has no definite limits or answers.  I know the doctor will make a recommendation, but I find myself being very impatient right now!

If I was told I had a life threatening condition that would be made worse by flying then my feet would stay firmly on the ground. This forum is not the right place to get advice regarding this. The best place is from a hospital.