Vaccinations

Hi,

Just curious if this is something I can get safe and inexpensive in Hanoi once I arrive. Coming from the US.
Also, will be looking to live there for an extended time so how do vaccinations work in that regard?
Any help or info would be appreciated.

Vietnam is currently on a vaccination shortage. There is a waiting list for certain vaccines. Get what you can done in the US.

On a regular basis, vaccines are imported, therefore expensive. Which is why Vietnam has under 50% vaccination rate while a country like US is close to 99%.

Thanks for the info.
Also, does anyone know how long vaccinations last, I had all the basics about three years ago the first time I went to Vietnam.

peterpan75 wrote:

Thanks for the info.
Also, does anyone know how long vaccinations last, I had all the basics about three years ago the first time I went to Vietnam.

You should google that, it depends on the vaccine, so we wouldn't know unless we knew the names. Best to get any you need done there. Vietnam uses old-style vaccines. Not that they're dangerous, but USA will have the highest quality available (possibly for free).

milkybunnyHCM wrote:
peterpan75 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

You should google that, it depends on the vaccine, so we wouldn't know unless we knew the names. Best to get any you need done there. Vietnam uses old-style vaccines. Not that they're dangerous, but USA will have the highest quality available (possibly for free).

In the clinic's around here  they have boards with the prices of the meds on them, you can choose how much you want to pay, and/or the manufacturers country. ( Imagine that in the US? ).

Japanese incephlitis (remote areas essential ) is a bit unclear, indications are that it lasts for ever as the mossies are the booster for your imunity  , not sure about hepatitis but get what you can it mutates quickly

bluenz wrote:
milkybunnyHCM wrote:
peterpan75 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

In the clinic's around here  they have boards with the prices of the meds on them, you can choose how much you want to pay, and/or the manufacturers country. ( Imagine that in the US? ).

The US doesn't need that when we have the best quality (along with other first world nations) Vaccines here are old, but they still get the job done, so there aren't any issues.

mark stutley wrote:

Japanese incephlitis (remote areas essential ) is a bit unclear, indications are that it lasts for ever as the mossies are the booster for your imunity  , not sure about hepatitis but get what you can it mutates quickly

Dengue fever was rife in Quang Ngai last year, with many locals being hospitalised.

bluenz wrote:
mark stutley wrote:

Dengue fever was rife in Quang Ngai last year, with many locals being hospitalised.

Are there vaccines for that?

milkybunnyHCM wrote:
bluenz wrote:
mark stutley wrote:

Are there vaccines for that?

I don't think so, nothing a couple of days in hospital on a drip doesn't fix.

Well, from what I can tell and have read, hep a and b vaccine last a good 20 years so I should be good? Unless someone else has different info. Hep a and b seem to be the most common vaccines people seem to care about...no?